Some new equipment cards for HQ21

Posted:
April 4th, 2023, 4:53 am
by jasosa
Hi everyone! I've decided to write my first post to share with you some new equipment cards I´ve been creating to expand my armory. They are based on the work of others, so nothing is completely original but maybe someone can find them fun (probably not balanced, although this is something I don´t care too much about in Heroquest

)
As I'm not a native English speaker would be great if someone can give me some feedback about the syntax. Whatever other feedback is welcome as well. Thanks in advance!
The link to the cards:
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/16hkgRxdp6Fgh0tT2VfFYRuf0-9D9hk34?usp=share_link PS: The prices are still WIP as I've created the cards without having close my HQ set so I don't remember 100% of the prices.
Re: Some new equipment cards for HQ21

Posted:
April 6th, 2023, 4:23 pm
by QorDaq
Cool ideas and great art.
I cannot speak to the pricing here specifically, as I know how difficult (and subjective) balancing anything in HQ can be. For the same reasons I won't attempt to address any of the damage choices, or special rules you've made.
Feedback:
Flail Mace -- I think the weapon description may be over written, and a little clunky. I am guessing you wanted to identify this item as being vulnerable to both the Rust and Twist Wood spells? Additionally, I would change the weapon name to either Spiked Flail, or Morning Star Flail. Both are correct for this style of flail.
For the main body of text, perhaps something like;
"This wooden-handled flail connected to a metal chain and ball, gives you an attack strength of 2 combat dice. Due to its length, you may attack diagonally. After attacking a Skeleton, you may re-roll all black shields one time. May not be used by the Druid or Wizard.
Rapier -- I think the only thing that might benefit from a re-write, is the first sentence. And really I'd just consider dropping the 'and' between long and thin.
Instead I might add commas. e.g. "This long, thin sword, gives you an attack strength of 2 combat dice."
Sling -- Again, I don't see a need to mess with much here. However, in the description of the weapons' special ability, the word defend (singular) is used twice, and may read more clearly as defends.
"(enemy defends as usual)" and "(enemy defends with 1 less defense die)"
Whip -- As with the sling above, I think replacing "enemy defend" with "enemy defends" reads better. Alternately you could say "enemies defend".
Also, in the final sentence at the bottom, perhaps the following would read better;
"An immobilized enemy cannot perform any action (including defend) until the end of Zargon's next turn."
----------
Regardless, I like where these are going and once you've finalized these cards (with or without my suggestions), I'd happily add these to my game.
Cool stuff.
Re: Some new equipment cards for HQ21

Posted:
April 7th, 2023, 4:33 pm
by jasosa
Thank you so much for the feedback! All the suggestions make sense. The texts will read much better and I will be definitively updating the cards with them.
I'll update the post once they are finished. Thanks again!
Re: Some new equipment cards for HQ21

Posted:
April 23rd, 2023, 6:08 pm
by Jembo17
I like where you're going with this matey. Keep up the good work.
Re: Some new equipment cards for HQ21

Posted:
April 23rd, 2023, 10:30 pm
by SirRick
I think the Scale Mail armor is good enough to be an artifact. Change the name and you have magical chain mail with a great ability. The artwork for the cards is terrific, especially the Scale Mail.
Re: Some new equipment cards for HQ21

Posted:
April 24th, 2023, 5:09 am
by jasosa
Jembo17 wrote:I like where you're going with this matey. Keep up the good work.
Thank you so much!
SirRick wrote:I think the Scale Mail armor is good enough to be an artifact. Change the name and you have magical chain mail with a great ability. The artwork for the cards is terrific, especially the Scale Mail.
You are right, It might be an artifact. Although I mostly play solo or with my kids using the app so I am somehow restricted to using the official artifacts I think...
The images for the cards are available in the gallery (they are not mine, just in case

) They are amazing and the person who drew them is such an artist!