• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Potion Deck

Discuss card making and cards you have made.

Potion Deck

Postby arntisdale » March 8th, 2021, 3:12 am

I've been messing around with an expanded Sjeng-style potion deck, where, there are treasure cards that let you draw a random potion. I've also considered making them available in the town alchemist shop in a limited capacity. Was thinking of doing something similar to what I've seen in other games, where you create, say, 3 different stacks and only the top cards are available for purchase. Purchasing one makes the next one under it available and so forth.

In any case, I've pulled on resources all over the Inn, and think I have a pretty comprehensive list. I've also thrown in some flavor text, and in some cases, rewritten, or made additions to the potions deck. I've also included a value and a potion count (how many of that card will be in the deck). The potions in the deck are basically all the potions available in the world (90 total), characters would keep cards until they're used, and only when they're used do they go back into the potions deck.

I'd like everyone's thoughts on any improvements, errors, or anything that you think I may have missed or failed to consider.

Thanks in advance!!

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1GzQXXlNeNaUEzWr9MYrXRl_OfmSHvSZZ/view?usp=sharing
arntisdale

Gargoyle
Gargoyle

Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Re: Potion Deck

Postby arntisdale » June 21st, 2021, 10:17 pm

Finished putting this whole thing together. Here it is:
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1kC8wl_IkqZe7Rf6rQcxSR-3zRDrxfnox?usp=sharing

I have a set number of each card planned, where the number of potions in the world are limited to the number of cards. This is not reflected in the images, but it is reflected in the spreadsheet.
arntisdale

Gargoyle
Gargoyle

Hero:

Postby Daedalus » December 8th, 2021, 2:41 am

That's a lot of bubbly! Are you going to segregate the potions by cost in some fasion?
UNCLE ZARGON
WANTS.. YOU

Rewards:
Wizard of Zargon Group Member Grin's Stone Map Played a turn in five (5) Play-by-Post games. Created a Hot Topic. Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy!Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered all eight (8) Game System monsters. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Editor-in-Chief
Daedalus
Dread Ruleslawyer

Wizard
Wizard

Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group MemberScribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberArtists Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby Anderas » December 8th, 2021, 6:49 am

I see that you put "the Party at Ye Olde Inn" to a good use there :D
I think I didn't share it as cc-by first, but it would be nice if you mention babyrhino as artist somewhere on the image.

Overall, I like your potions deck. I use it only for the potion shop, the treasure deck looks as always in my game. That's because, if all potions of healings are in Heroes hands, there is no more potion of healing in the treasure deck. Kind of self-balancing.

Rewards:
Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Anderas
NOT Andreas!

Polar Warbear
Polar Warbear

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member
Champion Group Member

Postby arntisdale » December 8th, 2021, 10:14 am

Daedalus wrote:That's a lot of bubbly! Are you going to segregate the potions by cost in some fasion?

I didn't plan on it. The expensive ones are already very rare. If there's only 1 card in the deck, then only 1 of these potions can exist at any one time. A random draw that gets a rare expensive potion is just a nice bit of luck, which I'm okay with.

As far as purchasables, I'd probably have my shops have a combination of random selection + predetermined guaranteed availability (like healing).
arntisdale

Gargoyle
Gargoyle

Hero:

Postby arntisdale » December 8th, 2021, 10:21 am

Anderas wrote:I see that you put "the Party at Ye Olde Inn" to a good use there :D
I think I didn't share it as cc-by first, but it would be nice if you mention babyrhino as artist somewhere on the image.

Overall, I like your potions deck. I use it only for the potion shop, the treasure deck looks as always in my game. That's because, if all potions of healings are in Heroes hands, there is no more potion of healing in the treasure deck. Kind of self-balancing.

The way I use the potion deck has a similar balance mechanic. The potion cards are the physical limit to the number of those potions in the world, so if the hero has all of any type of potion, there's no way they can ever draw another from the deck until it's been consumed (and even then, it's random luck to get it back).
My treasure deck has a random draw potion card, which is removed from the deck when found for that quest (just like all good treasure cards are).
The treasure deck I made is posted here: http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=34&t=5326&sid=a74c8da2ff4cacf502711c18a929928a
arntisdale

Gargoyle
Gargoyle

Hero:

Return to Cards