Page 1 of 1

Treasure Deck

PostPosted: July 11th, 2020, 12:54 am
by arntisdale
Following up my expanded equipment deck, which you can check out here:
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1guVY39LWgeAHah2c9HrYOpNDGUES04oK?usp=sharing

I've created the treasure deck to match. Very little of this is new, but I've cleaned up some of the art, and re-formatted it to match NA-style with just a few changes.
Here's my overview:
Total card count is 54 cards.
14 Gold Cards of various types ranging from 10 to 300, generally exponential curve to the gold values on the cards. Flavor text on all.
9 Hazards, some classic, some not. Two have art that I found on the internet, but fit the HQ card style extremely well. I figure I'm not selling anything, so I should be safe.
13 Wandering Monsters, one of which is a double monster.
5 Special - just had to include some gems I found here at the Inn.
10 Draw a random potion card - each one with unique potion art and some flavor text - still need to make the potion deck.
3 Draw random scroll cards - same art for all 3, added flavor text - still need to make scroll deck.
So... here it is:
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1j3n8TviGGeYDzDdCp_eMn19GMuknYzMk?usp=sharing
Let me know if you catch anything that needs fixing, or have any other constructive feedback that I can use to improve.

Re: Treasure Deck

PostPosted: July 12th, 2020, 1:38 pm
by Gold Bearer
arntisdale wrote:13 Wandering Monsters, one of which is a double monster.
Some of the official (and presumably home brew aswell) quests have multiple wandering monsters already listed, Wizards Of Morcar for example. I think one quest has three chaos wariors, so that would be SIX chaos warriors! :shock:

Re: Treasure Deck

PostPosted: July 12th, 2020, 1:51 pm
by arntisdale
Gold Bearer wrote:
arntisdale wrote:13 Wandering Monsters, one of which is a double monster.
Some of the official (and presumably home brew aswell) quests have multiple wandering monsters already listed, Wizards Of Morcar for example. I think one quest has three chaos wariors, so that would be SIX chaos warriors! :shock:


Six chaos warriors? I love it!
It is only one card out of the whole deck, but they'll have to think twice before deciding whether or not they want to search for treasure!

Right now I think my favorites are Rat Swarm and Chest of Snakes. I stumbled across the art somewhere, but it looks like it was made for a HQ card. It might've been for all I know... possibly created by one of our Inn patrons! I just don't know.

I think this deck is considerably more dangerous than the standard deck, but it also has the possibility to kick out more potions and gold than the average deck. And the Dazzling Gem, which I got here at the Inn (and modded a bit) is worth a whopping 600 gold, if the heroes can escape with it!

Re: Treasure Deck

PostPosted: July 12th, 2020, 1:55 pm
by slev
I'll mention that some players, especially experienced players, become risk averse. If there's too much risk, they won't care how good the rewards are.

However, if the risk is acceptable, they will not be too fussed at the rewards being poor.

The less they search, the less healing they'll find and the harder the quest becomes, so getting the right balance is tricky!

Re: Treasure Deck

PostPosted: July 14th, 2020, 7:40 am
by lestodante
Why you don't try to make some differences with some cards? I've seen you have different artworks for the same card, for example Wandering Monster or Potion. If there are no differences beetween them you could use the same art but since they are different you could make their effects different and more interesting too. In particulare there are a ghost and a wolf in your wandering monsters, why not to try something different?

Re: Treasure Deck

PostPosted: July 14th, 2020, 1:07 pm
by arntisdale
My original intent was to vary the art while sticking to the classic HQ wandering monster mechanic. What I don't want to do is throw in non-HQ monsters (which I probably don't have, my mini collection isn't expansive) as a single random encounter. I definitely want to stick with the scripted quest monster however...
It would be possible to throw in little tweaks on the monster stats or behavior.
Ghost monster: first attack passes right through, no MP, one less HP than the standard (1 min of course)
wolf could be were-version (werewolf chaos warrior anyone?): perhaps add to attack or move

It sounds cool, but at the same time I don't want to sacrafice the beautiful simplicity the HQ has at its core.

As far as varying the potions, they'll be random draws, the difference is purely flavor text + art. One thing I went for was added the self identifying 'taste test' so drinking a bit of poison would make sense, as it is the only potion card anyone ever tastes up front under the original system.

Re: Treasure Deck

PostPosted: July 15th, 2020, 12:12 pm
by Gold Bearer
For the ghost you could have an ethereal version of whatever the wandering monster is, can only be harmed by magic, or holy water. Maybe it gets one more attack after its intitial one before sodding off because if they don't have magic that would be a problem.

For the warewolf you could use the existing warewolf rules from Mage Of The Mirror but apply it to the wandering monster.

Just an idea. Variety = good. |_P

Re: Treasure Deck

PostPosted: June 21st, 2021, 10:06 pm
by arntisdale