• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

[Tutorial] Idomeneas' Card Printing

Discuss card making and cards you have made.

Re: [Tutorial] Idomeneas' Card Printing

Postby Idomeneas » September 19th, 2012, 7:31 pm

leo wrote:When printing cards do you coat them with anything like clear varnish? Or is the glossy paper good enough.

Photo paper is good enough. Before that i had experimented by using different paper (heavy weight HP) and coating it with acrylic varnish. It works. But it demands some basic skill and takes much time

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic.
Idomeneas

Fimir
Fimir

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Postby shy-design » September 24th, 2012, 12:15 pm

great thread. I have been wandering myself how to get that laminate finish on cards... I just bought a laminator off amazon which works great for some of my projects... but I want to start making decks that have that strange "low" laminate finish that can be shuffled. And I have started to wonder what kind of finish that is. so thanks for answering those lingering questions.

but I am still curious about how it is done in a manufacturing process, what and how playing cards are protected/finished with... most likely some very expensive machinery. but I wonder if it can be done at home or perhaps at a copy/printing place... I will have to research this further.

Rewards:
Wrote an article for the Blog. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in a Miniature Exchange.
shy-design

Gargoyle
Gargoyle

Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby Daedalus » September 24th, 2012, 2:51 pm

I can't remember the specifics, but I have read about a finishing wax you can buy to gloss cards, made just for that purpose. Found it somewhere on Boardgamegeek.com.
UNCLE ZARGON
WANTS.. YOU

Rewards:
Wizard of Zargon Group Member Grin's Stone Map Played a turn in five (5) Play-by-Post games. Created a Hot Topic. Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy!Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered all eight (8) Game System monsters. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Editor-in-Chief
Daedalus
Dread Ruleslawyer

Wizard
Wizard

Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group MemberScribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberArtists Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby shy-design » September 24th, 2012, 3:22 pm

nice, thats a good start. thanks

Rewards:
Wrote an article for the Blog. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in a Miniature Exchange.
shy-design

Gargoyle
Gargoyle

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby shy-design » September 24th, 2012, 3:57 pm

this was insightful. the products are a bit expensive, but worth looking into for anyone who is interested in the process.

http://www.lybrary.com/how-to-make-your-own-playing-cards-a-11.html

Rewards:
shy-design

Gargoyle
Gargoyle

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby Idomeneas » October 16th, 2012, 5:11 pm

shy-design wrote:great thread. I have been wandering myself how to get that laminate finish on cards... I just bought a laminator off amazon which works great for some of my projects... but I want to start making decks that have that strange "low" laminate finish that can be shuffled. And I have started to wonder what kind of finish that is. so thanks for answering those lingering questions.

but I am still curious about how it is done in a manufacturing process, what and how playing cards are protected/finished with... most likely some very expensive machinery. but I wonder if it can be done at home or perhaps at a copy/printing place... I will have to research this further.

Hi
In the old days (80's-90's in our case) the cards after printed in 4 colours* they were mounted again on the printing machine and varnished. Thats why in HQ cards you have that semi-matt feel. The cheep paper absorbed some varnish and retain its texture but still its protected (to a point). Today we still varnish prints but there are more advanced lamination methods. You can have a matt or satin finish. Basically its a thin film protecting the paper and it can be alot more stronger, to the point of completely waterprooffin the printed material. It also adds weight to the cover, allowing the use of abit lighter paper, or making a heavy paper stronger. There can be aslo combinations of lamination and varnishing. What we call ''spot UV''. On a matt finished cover you can add by using a mask, satin finish to a designated area of any shape you want. Im sure you ve seen it on various prints and cards.

* When using the offset method, all colors are created from placing raster (dots) of various size closer together, or further. Its basically an illusion which you can understand if you close to any billboard or street ad. Because of the low resolution used the effect is more apparent there.

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic.
Idomeneas

Fimir
Fimir

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby shy-design » October 16th, 2012, 6:36 pm

great thanks for the info.

Rewards:
shy-design

Gargoyle
Gargoyle

Hero:
Usergroups:

Re: problem printing witch lord/keller's keep quest book pdf

Postby chaoticprime » May 27th, 2013, 4:55 pm

If you want to get the most out of your printed pieces, buy a 16oz. container of Mod Podge (Matte or Gloss Paper type) and a brayer (should be sold alongside mod podge). It'll set you back very little, and if applied correctly will make your tiles and cards nigh-invulnerable. You can also use that same mod podge as a brush on sealer for painted miniatures (apply thinly).

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic. Participated in a Miniature Exchange. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer
chaoticprime
Practically Lives Here

Swordsman
Swordsman

Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby Sjeng » June 5th, 2013, 2:49 am

What are the exact sizes of the NA cards? Are they the same size as the EU cards?
Check out my YouTube channel Boardgame Heaven, and drop me a sub please!

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Wrote twenty (20) articles for the Blog in three (3) sections. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Official Spokesman
Sjeng
Ye Olde Orcish Bard

Chaos Warlock
Chaos Warlock

Forum Language: Nederlands
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member Scribes Group Member

Postby tasoe » June 5th, 2013, 7:34 am

Sjeng wrote:What are the exact sizes of the NA cards? Are they the same size as the EU cards?

Nope, they are bigger. 9mm taller and 2mm wider. Photos coming in a little while.

Rewards:
Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges.Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
tasoe

Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

PreviousNext

Return to Cards