Page 1 of 2

How do I cut out custom cards to nearly a perfect size?

PostPosted: March 27th, 2017, 12:03 am
by Jafazo
I know to use the card templates provided but once cards have been created onto a single sheet, how do you cut them out so they're almost perfectly sized in relation to each other? Cutting them all by hand or using a cutting board doesn't work because once stacked, the imperfection are very noticeable. Is there something I'm missing? I looked through the gallery and noticed a few cards printed almost perfectly, that's the result I'm looking for. I also realized you can buy precut blank boardgame cards off Amazon and am wondering if that's what others on here did. If you do order these precut cards, how do you stick them to paper so the HQ templates line up and print perfectly onto them? I'm at a loss... help?

Re: How do I cut out custom cards to nearly a perfect size?

PostPosted: March 27th, 2017, 3:34 am
by knightkrawler
I use Printerstudio and will probably never ever change that.
Especially crafting cards myself is now reallly really unattractive to me.
It might however be a cost factor that makes you think printing and gluing will make it worthwhile for you.
Yet I suggest to put the work into making the png files and having them professionally printed
http://www.printerstudio.com/unique-ideas/blank-playing-cards.html
There's more to take care of, like the right bleed areas and all that stuff, but if you find it financially bearable and know how to use photoshop, use them.

Re: How do I cut out custom cards to nearly a perfect size?

PostPosted: March 27th, 2017, 7:29 am
by slev
By hand, you will have minor variations. Sleeving them should deal with these minor variantions.

Also, cutting with a steel rule and rotary cutter will get the best cut.

Re: How do I cut out custom cards to nearly a perfect size?

PostPosted: March 31st, 2017, 6:41 am
by Mark Jackson
Do you want to make your own custom playing cards? Or design your own custom playing cards? Then I must suggest you to visit TMCARDS online playing cards shop. We are most known for manufacturing playing cards, printing playing cards and designing playing cards. We offer unique playing cards design for each deck of cards in any shape, color, and size of playing cards at the lowest rate in all over the world with fastest shipping service.

Re: How do I cut out custom cards to nearly a perfect size?

PostPosted: April 2nd, 2017, 5:26 pm
by herman_the_german
It helps if you cut all of them at the same time.

A trick I do is taping a thick edge for the long side and one for the short side on a guillotine/paper cutter. The first cut you do by eye, but then you place the cut card on the edge and cut the other side. This is one way to insure all cards come out exactly the same size.

If you need a diagram or photo let me know.

Re: How do I cut out custom cards to nearly a perfect size?

PostPosted: April 2nd, 2017, 7:03 pm
by cynthialee
I use glossy business cards printed at home. I had to do some work making sure things all fit but it all came together after a few abortive attempts.

Re: How do I cut out custom cards to nearly a perfect size?

PostPosted: April 2nd, 2017, 8:44 pm
by Jafazo
cynthialee wrote:I use glossy business cards printed at home. I had to do some work making sure things all fit but it all came together after a few abortive attempts.


I never tried glossy. The most I've done is cardstock because I don't usually care for a perfect finish but I'll look into glossy if it makes a big difference. My wife & daughters were curious about the game and wanted to try it so I'll need to reprint a lot of the stuff anyway.

Re: How do I cut out custom cards to nearly a perfect size?

PostPosted: April 3rd, 2017, 7:04 pm
by mitchiemasha
herman_the_german wrote:A trick I do is taping a thick edge for the long side and one for the short side on a guillotine/paper cutter.


I'm so disappointed in my self i never thought of doing that.

Re: How do I cut out custom cards to nearly a perfect size?

PostPosted: April 3rd, 2017, 8:03 pm
by Jafazo
mitchiemasha wrote:
herman_the_german wrote:A trick I do is taping a thick edge for the long side and one for the short side on a guillotine/paper cutter.


I'm so disappointed in my self i never thought of doing that.


I've used a paper cutter but after you stack the cards up they're never a perfect fit, some are a smidge off.

Re: How do I cut out custom cards to nearly a perfect size?

PostPosted: April 4th, 2017, 5:20 am
by slev
And that's why I use card sleeves for hand-cut cards. Makes them all regular, and if you've been accurate, you won't be able to see the difference.

That said, after my main playtest, once I had finished cards, I got them printed with printerstudio.com. Fantastic stuff.