Page 1 of 2

GimmeYerGold's [revised] Custom Cards Preview: Treasure

PostPosted: February 16th, 2015, 12:35 pm
by GimmeYerGold
Well, that post title was a mouthful!

I wanted to share the latest revision of my cards with y'all, so I'll start first a preview of the Treasure Cards!

PDF attached below.

Notes:

1) I tried to add more variety in the images presented for each treasure "type," even with the wandering monsters. I chose 50 cards as a sort of "double" to the amount of cards in the UK system treasure set.

2) Changed "dust of disappearance" to "vanishing dust" for sake of room on the cards and character sheet. Removed certain potions that I felt had a too-specific usage, and might sit around collecting dust (no pun intended) before their use.

3) The odds of "good" vs "bad" treasures are on par with the NA system treasure deck, about 58% chance of a "good" treasure from a full deck.

4) Total, there are about 545 gold coins in this deck. I typically play with 6 players, so that divides to about 91 gold coins a Hero, on par with the gold-per-Hero average in the UK deck, however, even with 4 Heroes you'd have to do a bit of painful digging to fully exploit the total gold in this deck.

5) I removed words that refer to specific locations in an indoor setting, like "corner" or "shelf," because I wanted the treasure cards to function as modular as possible, for instance, in case a quest takes place in the forest, and treasure searches are still taking place.

I have more preview sets I'll be sharing this week, probably 2 sets a day. Thought it would be better to do one at a time rather than dumping them all in one post.

Thanks for the time looking over this little project, as always! |_P

More card sets I'm working on:
[revised] Encounter Cards here: viewtopic.php?f=34&t=2828
[revised] Artifact Cards here: viewtopic.php?f=34&t=2826
[revised] Combat Skill Cards here: viewtopic.php?f=34&t=2823
[revised] Chaos Spell Cards here: viewtopic.php?f=34&t=2822
[revised] Hero Spell Cards here: viewtopic.php?f=34&t=2821
[revised] Monster Cards here: viewtopic.php?f=34&t=2820
[revised] Equipment Cards here: viewtopic.php?f=34&t=2818
[revised] Lone Monster Cards here: viewtopic.php?f=34&t=2816
[revised] Settlement Cards here: viewtopic.php?f=34&t=2813

Re: GimmeYerGold's [revised] Custom Cards Preview: Treasure

PostPosted: February 16th, 2015, 12:43 pm
by Anderas
I like some of the non-standard pictures! Thanks a lot. You're making them yourself, right?

I don't understand the Corpse, though. What use does it have?
Did i understand correctly, you don't like the mixing of cards after a wandering monster?

Re: GimmeYerGold's [revised] Custom Cards Preview: Treasure

PostPosted: February 16th, 2015, 12:57 pm
by GimmeYerGold
Anderas wrote:I like some of the non-standard pictures! Thanks a lot. You're making them yourself, right?

I don't understand the Corpse, though. What use does it have?
Did i understand correctly, you don't like the mixing of cards after a wandering monster?


I haven't made the pictures myself, if that's what you're asking. Countless hours searching for Gary Chalk art! Admittedly, I could have drawn my own in that time, but I do like his style very much :)

The corpse card is meant to give you the choice of accepting a harmless yet unfruitful treasure search, or taking another chance to draw a second card that could be good or bad. So, it's like a "nothing" card, but you can take a gamble and draw again. Does that come across?

I don't mind shuffling cards at all. I think it's good in fact. I think the rule we try to remember is that one a good card is drawn, and not returned to the deck, then we shuffle the whole deck.

Re: GimmeYerGold's [revised] Custom Cards Preview: Treasure

PostPosted: February 16th, 2015, 10:36 pm
by Rook
A sharp looking set of cards! They look terrific!

I personally like the mechanic of the Casket and Corpse, gives the GM a chance to remind players that they can, in essence, 'roll again' if they are feeling lucky... or if the treasure pile is starting to get a bit sparse towards the end of a quest they can count themselves lucky and move on.

Re: GimmeYerGold's [revised] Custom Cards Preview: Treasure

PostPosted: February 17th, 2015, 3:57 pm
by GimmeYerGold
Rook wrote:A sharp looking set of cards! They look terrific!

I personally like the mechanic of the Casket and Corpse, gives the GM a chance to remind players that they can, in essence, 'roll again' if they are feeling lucky... or if the treasure pile is starting to get a bit sparse towards the end of a quest they can count themselves lucky and move on.


Thanks Rook! Glad you like the cards! I added a bit of clarification on the cask and corpse cards to address any confusion mentioned above by Anderas, to make it communicate this take-a-chance-reminder feeling you put so well into words, as that was the intention of the cards.

Something like: "If you wish to search the __________, draw another card after returning this card to the bottom of the deck, if you do not, merely return this card to the bottom of the deck."

Re: GimmeYerGold's [revised] Custom Cards Preview: Treasure

PostPosted: February 17th, 2015, 8:01 pm
by Rook
Checked the re-work and it works for me!

Nicely done 8-)

Re: GimmeYerGold's [revised] Custom Cards Preview: Treasure

PostPosted: February 17th, 2015, 9:41 pm
by torilen
Nice job. I like the casket and corpse.
I like that you made things a little more "modular", as you put it.

Personally, I like the idea of having special card sets for various settings and terrain and such,
but I know that becomes a lot to keep up with and lose, and can bog things down. Just my personal
preference. I think the generic works better for more people, though.

Re: GimmeYerGold's [revised] Custom Cards Preview: Treasure

PostPosted: February 18th, 2015, 1:56 pm
by GimmeYerGold
torilen wrote:Nice job. I like the casket and corpse.
I like that you made things a little more "modular", as you put it.

Personally, I like the idea of having special card sets for various settings and terrain and such,
but I know that becomes a lot to keep up with and lose, and can bog things down. Just my personal
preference. I think the generic works better for more people, though.


Thanks Torilen! I feel ya, I think there is some excellent area-specific flavor text, especially in the UK treasure cards--features like that help to flesh out the dungeon map, even beyond the furniture accessories.

HQ has a lot of great tangible features, but the writing I've always thought is really something that ties it all together very nicely.

Re: GimmeYerGold's [revised] Custom Cards Preview: Treasure

PostPosted: February 18th, 2015, 5:16 pm
by The Road Warrior
I really like these cards. It looks like you've put a lot of effort into them. The new cards you have added fit in seamlessly with the original gold/trap/wandering monster cards. I also really like the corpse and casket idea. It's also nice to see things like the crown and mutton!! (I'm still laughing about that one!)

torilen wrote:Personally, I like the idea of having special card sets for various settings and terrain and such,
but I know that becomes a lot to keep up with and lose, and can bog things down. Just my personal
preference.


I wouldn't mind having two or three different treasure decks for different environments. Maybe 'Crypt Treasure', 'Orc's Lair Treasure' and 'Chaos Fortress Treasure' would do?
I think there are some decks like this on the cards download page.

Re: GimmeYerGold's [revised] Custom Cards Preview: Treasure

PostPosted: February 19th, 2015, 2:12 pm
by GimmeYerGold
The Road Warrior wrote:I really like these cards. It looks like you've put a lot of effort into them. The new cards you have added fit in seamlessly with the original gold/trap/wandering monster cards. I also really like the corpse and casket idea. It's also nice to see things like the crown and mutton!! (I'm still laughing about that one!)


Ha! Glad you liked those, Road Warrior! Just saying "mutton" makes me think of the trolls in the Hobbit, "Nothin' but mutton to eat!"

torilen wrote:Personally, I like the idea of having special card sets for various settings and terrain and such,
but I know that becomes a lot to keep up with and lose, and can bog things down. Just my personal
preference.


The Road Warrior wrote:I wouldn't mind having two or three different treasure decks for different environments. Maybe 'Crypt Treasure', 'Orc's Lair Treasure' and 'Chaos Fortress Treasure' would do?
I think there are some decks like this on the cards download page.


I could see generating a Mad Libs style fill in the blanks for cards like those, where "LOCATION" etc. is filled in with the appropriate description. "A pile of old bones," or "among the remains of a dead knight," for Crypt Treasure, there are several cards in the system that mention soiled blankets, and old furs, basically, anything gross and smelly would go with the Orc's Lair, and for Chaos Fortress? I guess a little bit of both, with some sinister evil magic stuff thrown in. Before you know it, you're immersed in your setting.