Page 1 of 1

Some new wizard spells.

PostPosted: February 8th, 2014, 2:09 am
by JasonMCM
So after making some Necromancer spells that contained the line: "Do not discard after use." I got to thinking, that the wizard should have some spells like that and thus the Arcane spell school was born.

Arcane Arrow: Make a 1 combat die attack against any 1 enemy that you can see. That enemy defends as normal. Do not discard this spell after use.
Arcane Armor: Target hero rolls 1 additional combat die the next time he defends. This spell ends at the end of the wizard's next turn regardless if any defense rolls were made. Do not discard this spell after use.
Arcane Speed: Target hero rolls 1 additional red die the next time he moves. This spell ends at the end of the wizard's next turn regardless if any movement dice were rolled. Do not discard this spell after use.
Arcane Mending: Restore up to 2 lost Body Points to target hero, but only if they were lost since the beginning of the Evil Wizard's last turn. Do not discard this spell after use.


I intentionally made them weaker than the other spells, but since they can be played multiple times they may actually see some use. What do you all think?

Re: Some new wizard spells.

PostPosted: February 8th, 2014, 3:36 am
by Sjeng
Image

There are some who call me... Tim?

Re: Some new wizard spells.

PostPosted: February 8th, 2014, 9:11 am
by The Road Warrior
JasonMCM wrote:Arcane Mending: Restore up to 2 lost Body Points to target hero, but only if they were lost since the beginning of the Evil Wizard's last turn. Do not discard this spell after use.


Sorry, but I think Arcane mending is a very bad idea. :(

Re: Some new wizard spells.

PostPosted: February 8th, 2014, 11:57 am
by JasonMCM
Too powerful? I thought it might be. Would dropping it to 1 BP of healing make it a better idea? Or should I scrap it all together and come up with another one?

Re: Some new wizard spells.

PostPosted: February 8th, 2014, 12:34 pm
by The Road Warrior
JasonMCM wrote:Too powerful? I thought it might be. Would dropping it to 1 BP of healing make it a better idea? Or should I scrap it all together and come up with another one?


It's up to you. I just think giving the Heroes an unlimited supply of BP is a bad idea.

Re: Some new wizard spells.

PostPosted: February 8th, 2014, 12:58 pm
by knightkrawler
The Evil Wizard player would have to hit the wizard four times with 3 BP or more. The most attack dice he usually gets is 4 from a chaos warrior.
Even if lowering to 1 bp mending, I fully agree with RW here. Four 2-bp hits would be necessary.
Way, way overpowered.

The wizard would basically become the second tank in the group, the first being the dwarf, drawing monster attacks, but negating virtually all damage, making the heroes... well, invincible, cause when he is not attacked, he uses a different spell to attack the monster not attacking him.

Re: Some new wizard spells.

PostPosted: February 8th, 2014, 1:49 pm
by JasonMCM
Very good points. I have replaced it in the original post with Arcane Speed. [+1 red die for one hero for one move.]

Re: Some new wizard spells.

PostPosted: March 4th, 2014, 3:50 am
by Daedalus
Spanishquest is also adding spells that aren't discarded, one for each spell group, if I recall correctly. The Wiz needs something.

Re: Some new wizard spells.

PostPosted: March 4th, 2014, 4:19 am
by JasonMCM
Daedalus wrote:Spanishquest is also adding spells that aren't discarded, one for each spell group, if I recall correctly. The Wiz needs something.

Oh... well in that case I burn this Idea with a flamethrower and pretend it never happened. I want nothing to do with that steaming pile of lemony goodness.

Just Kidding.... mostly

Re: Some new wizard spells.

PostPosted: June 26th, 2021, 2:36 pm
by arntisdale
JasonMCM wrote:So after making some Necromancer spells that contained the line: "Do not discard after use." I got to thinking, that the wizard should have some spells like that and thus the Arcane spell school was born.

Arcane Arrow: Make a 1 combat die attack against any 1 enemy that you can see. That enemy defends as normal. Do not discard this spell after use.
Arcane Armor: Target hero rolls 1 additional combat die the next time he defends. This spell ends at the end of the wizard's next turn regardless if any defense rolls were made. Do not discard this spell after use.
Arcane Speed: Target hero rolls 1 additional red die the next time he moves. This spell ends at the end of the wizard's next turn regardless if any movement dice were rolled. Do not discard this spell after use.
Arcane Mending: Restore up to 2 lost Body Points to target hero, but only if they were lost since the beginning of the Evil Wizard's last turn. Do not discard this spell after use.


I intentionally made them weaker than the other spells, but since they can be played multiple times they may actually see some use. What do you all think?


I do like this idea a lot, this is how I would change it to fit my own preferences:
Arcane Bolt: Same as original, but in my mind the 'bolt' has kind of a magic missile appearance, but an arcane 'arrow' looks like an arrow.
Arcane Shield: Same as original, but self only, and the spell would continue to function until a hit got through breaking the shield, or the end of wizard's next turn. Once again, in my mind, the wizard holding a magical shield in front of him just seems cooler to me.
Arcane Speed: Would change to self only, and instead of adding 1d6, I'd nerf it down to add 1d6, and then pick the highest two, no change to duration

No Arcane Healing, as was discussed previously.

This Arcane Spell group does seem like it would make a beautiful 3-spell addition to the Wizard! I really like the the idea of giving him access to a set of spells that never wears out, but is counterbalanced by being not too impressive.