Page 1 of 2

New shield idea

PostPosted: June 7th, 2012, 10:49 am
by Templar
As some of you may know, I have had loads of new weapons ideas for Hero Quest...some bad, some good, most all right. But ideas on the armour from my brain have been very, very scarce. :|

But I recently read an idea from someone, somewhere on this forum that popped into my head a few days later, which resulted in the spiked buckler. If anyone recognizes the mechanic and can point me to which person to thank, please do so ;)

Side note: I really want this to be a 500 gold item, so I'm prepared to modify it to make it so...

Anyway, here it is. What do you think?

Re: New shield idea

PostPosted: June 7th, 2012, 11:27 am
by Nerrad72
Love the card image templar, I shall be using it. I think you need to thank Daria, sounds like the Swordman Barbarian Specialization she suggested.

Re: New shield idea

PostPosted: June 7th, 2012, 11:29 am
by knightkrawler
"for every white shield rolled above the needed amount to save an attack, you may roll an out of turn battle dice against the attacker."

Question: can the initial attacker defend normally against this "shield riposte"?
* If yes, I think the card and the 500 gold coins are alright.
* If not, the abundant white shields could be added your next attack by the corresponding number of battle dice; the initial attacker defends normally.

Either way, I think the second option is easier and faster to be played out.
I think, 500 gold are ok if the extra defend dice is added against ranged attacks as well, but not against magical attacks.

Example: :orc: attacks :barbarian: 1 skull
:barbarian: defends: 3 white shields

:barbarian: attacks (with broadsword worth 3 AD) with 5 battle dice

Re: New shield idea

PostPosted: June 7th, 2012, 11:38 am
by Nerrad72
good point knightkrawler, looks like I shall have more playtesting to do before I can decide. I do like both options

Re: New shield idea

PostPosted: June 7th, 2012, 4:20 pm
by Sjeng
I think it's good the way it is now.

:orc: attacks :barbarian: and rolls :skull: :whiteshield:

:barbarian: defends with :skull: :whiteshield: :whiteshield:

:barbarian: may roll 1 die to counter attack with his pointy shield, and rolls :skull:

:orc: dies.

The thing is: the chance of rolling more :whiteshield: than needed is pretty low. After that, you only have a 50% chance of rolling a :skull: for each die you may roll. So that's half of a low chance. I think that's mild enough for a bonus to the shield. And 500g is a good price for that. You might want to change the roll for the pointy shield counter attack from :skull: to :whiteshield: or even :blackshield: if you need slimmer odds, but I wouldn't let the enemy defend.
The mechanic is like this: :orc: attacks in melee, close combat, but the :barbarian: is cunning enough to employ his dangerously spiked shield, not only to ward off the attack, but thrust the shield into the attacker, causing a potential killing blow if :skull: (or :whiteshield: or :blackshield: ) is rolled. You can't defend against a defense ;)

Re: New shield idea

PostPosted: June 7th, 2012, 4:43 pm
by knightkrawler
Sjeng, you have a point.

It's a matter of taste, really... in my scenario, the attack is returned, the Barbarian attacks in a really fast action with both shield and sword, which is why I would combine those two into one roll and only let the opponent attack normally.

I don't know... Templar has to decide :D

Re: New shield idea

PostPosted: June 7th, 2012, 5:00 pm
by cynthialee
I like the idea of a shield spike.
Hows about this twist, the shield defends as normal but every black shield rolled, a point of damage on the attacker is scored.

Re: New shield idea

PostPosted: June 7th, 2012, 5:15 pm
by Templar
knightkrawler wrote:I don't know... Templar has to decide :D

Man...the pressure... :P
All ideas posted above can work! My basic thought was to roll the dice immideately and allow for defense, but I have to run a few simulations to decide on the most functional/my favourite option... :mrgreen:
Nerrad72 wrote:Love the card image templar, I shall be using it. I think you need to thank Daria, sounds like the Swordman Barbarian Specialization she suggested.

I think it is a persian shield. At least, that's what the page I googled said ;)
Indeed, I read the mechanic under Darias Swordsman Barbarian, but she in turn credited it to Thrawn.
Lots of interesting ideas on both pages! 8-)

Re: New shield idea

PostPosted: June 7th, 2012, 6:40 pm
by Daria
I was reading this and thought that was a really cool piece of equipment. Didn't even occur to me that it was based on my skill set. :P

Re: New shield idea

PostPosted: June 7th, 2012, 7:47 pm
by torilen
I like it. I do have to say, though, that the price is too high, in my opinion.
The regular shield only costs 125 gold, and allows defense against ranged attacks.
After reading through the sjeng's scenario on how low the possibility to actually
cause any damage during the hero's defense, I would have to say that a better
price might be...let's say, around 275 or 300. That gives double plus some extra
the price of a normal shield. That would more than cover the bonus ability to
attack during a defense, but also takes into account the non-ability to defend
against ranged attacks.

my :2cents: