Page 1 of 2

Treasure-Artifacts by Torilen - set 1

PostPosted: May 31st, 2012, 4:40 pm
by torilen
Here is a batch of 30 new cards - mixed treasure cards and artifact cards.
I stole an idea from the computer game Diablo. Let me know what you think
of the idea and the design. I can make a bunch more using the same design.

I actually designed a lot of these to negate the need for levels in the game. For those
players and evil wizards who enjoy the bare-bones game, the simplistic spirit of the game,
these items can help beef up the characters without the need of "classes and levels"

Included: Dragon Scale shields, some wands, some armbands for fighting characters,
a few rings, and some holy symbols. The treasures are the cards with prices on them,
in case you want to allow them as purchasable equipment, or in case the heroes want
to sell them (typically at 1/2 the cost, right?)

If anyone makes use of carrying capacity - you know, you don't want the heroes lugging
a whole mess of stuff through the dungeon - I can make some cards for travel packs. I
was going to - but didn't know how many people would use them, so I opted not to for now.

There will be more to come anyhow. I've been coming up with some GREAT treasure
and artifact cards the last couple of days. Just takes a little time to make them.

Enjoy.

UPDATE: As of 6-1-2012 - you'll notice in a few posts down, there were a lot of issues with
this set. I've taken it down to fix it...didn't want anyone else downloading it, only to have to
download it again later. Sorry all. It will be back up soon.

UPDATE: As of 6-4-2012 - I've placed the set back up on the inn. All revisions have been made,
and hopefully there will be little confusion about the use of any of the items now.

UPDATE: As of 2-24-2013 - I actually DID post a revised edition of these cards. Sorry to those who had
downloaded it before, and to those who had downloaded what was thought to be revised. I really did fix
the issues...guess I just didn't upload the new version. BUT HERE IT IS...enjoy.

treasures-artifacts set 1.pdf

Re: Treasure-Artifacts by Torilen - set 1

PostPosted: May 31st, 2012, 6:24 pm
by Maike05
Hello Torilen,

again you strike with another great expansion !

I've seen there isn't any illustration on the cards, do you need the community to provide it for you ?
In this case, I would suggest you to create a list of these new items so that people could easily check and send a good picture :)

Re: Treasure-Artifacts by Torilen - set 1

PostPosted: May 31st, 2012, 6:53 pm
by torilen
Yes, if other members on here would like to provide pics - that would be great.
Only problem is this: I make all of my materials using MS Powerpoint - I don't
have any sort of publishing or art programs.
I tried putting a picture in earlier, and couldn't make it fit right. I could try it
again...maybe something from here might fit better...the picture I tried was
just a picture downloaded from a google search.

thanks for the suggestion, though...I'll put a list together and put up on the
artchive request thread.

Glad you like it.

Re: Treasure-Artifacts by Torilen - set 1

PostPosted: June 1st, 2012, 3:39 pm
by Daedalus
The Ruby Gemstone seems priced about right, but not against the potion prices of the Alchemist's Shop. I'd say the Alchemist's Shop potions are overpriced until waaay later, so you're making reliable healing available earlier. My opinion is that is probably a good thing. I'd keep the healing at 4 Body Points to match current healing spells, but ymmv.

The Diamond Gemstone may be used to ressurect a Hero within 3 turns of death. Is each turn counted as a player's turn, including the Evil Wizard (Zargon) as a player? Or do you mean within three rounds of a Hero's death where all five players each take a turn every round? As worded, I figure it must be the first case. If you want the second case to govern the spell, I'd reword it to, "The attempt must be made within the dead Hero's next three turns." Using this timing, I'd personally prefer this lesser Diamond Gemstone version of resurrection to only be allowed before the dead Hero's next turn. The Stone Cross would extend this to the dead Hero's next turn, and so on.

Are the gemstones in the Holy Symbols replacable? If they are, I'd bump up the costs of them, as they would give benefits that can be reused indefinitely. Just looking at one ability of the Stone Holy Symbol, three uses of the increased healing equal the same Body Points of a Ruby Gemstone, yet the Holy Symbol is only 50 gold more. Consider stepping up the cost of each improved Holy Symbol, perhaps by 200 gold coins between Holy Symbols (i.e. wood 200, stone 400, silver 600, gold 800). If gemstones may not be replaced in a Holy Symbol slot, then I'd make each Holy Symbol cost 100 gold coin more than it's lesser version (i.e. wood 200, stone 300, silver 400, gold 500).

By the way, mining the new Diablo game is a great idea...nice job. The artifacts seem pretty balanced. I like the way the "turn" affect works. I imagine it is a one-time effect--I'd include something that states that on the card.

There's a lot more to cover, but I'm tired. Anyway, I hope some of my suggestions help out.

Re: Treasure-Artifacts by Torilen - set 1

PostPosted: June 1st, 2012, 4:22 pm
by torilen
By turn, I mean that ALL players and Zargon take a turn - I guess I should change that to rounds in the future.
Example:
round 1
hero 1: turn
hero 2: turn
hero 3: turn
hero 4: turn
zargon: turn (hero 1 dies)
round 2 - start 3 turns...should be rounds...
hero 1: dead
hero 2: turn
and so on....

okay - writing it out like that, it should say rounds.
I'll fix that on future works. Thanks.

Re: Treasure-Artifacts by Torilen - set 1

PostPosted: June 1st, 2012, 5:14 pm
by Daedalus
I edited my last post with new stuff, but not before your last reply.

Re: Treasure-Artifacts by Torilen - set 1

PostPosted: June 1st, 2012, 5:53 pm
by torilen
Guess I didn't write the descriptions clear enough - I'll fix them, hopefully before anyone actually prints these
things off. And I'll have to check my other set, too.

First - the powers from the gems are usable each quest, up to the maximum described on the card for that gem.
Second - the holy symbol has to have gems in it to do anything...I figured that would be clear by saying that the
gem must be used with a holy symbol, and the the better holy symbols change the statistics for the gems.

SO - in order to use a ruby gem, you have to buy/find a minimum of a ruby gem and a wooden holy symbol.
If buying them, you're looking at 450 gold. However, once you have it, you can heal 6 Body Points every quest,
as long as you still have the holy symbol.
If you have a stone holy symbol, you can heal 8 Body Points, but it will cost a total of 550 gold to get both the
symbol and the gem.

As for turning being a once-per-quest use, I don't know. I hadn't designed it that way at first, but it would make
sense. The sapphire and diamond gems are not one-time-use-per-quest items, but consecrate is limited by the
number of turns it lasts. I need to change the resurrect power to say that, if the attempt fails, it cannot be
attempted on the same target again.

Again, thanks for the pointers - nice catches on all this stuff. I'll try to have them fixed and reposted by the end
of the weekend.

Re: Treasure-Artifacts by Torilen - set 1

PostPosted: June 4th, 2012, 1:43 pm
by torilen
Revisions have been made - the download is placed back up.
Enjoy. Many more are to follow.

Re: Treasure-Artifacts by Torilen - set 1

PostPosted: July 17th, 2012, 4:42 pm
by Sjeng
I like your dragon scale shields, but they are all made from a RED dragon in the text. I think you forgot to change that bit ;)
Some nice ideas in there, although I think those gemstones can get a bit overpowered. Nice work though, would like to see them with images :)

Re: Treasure-Artifacts by Torilen - set 1

PostPosted: July 19th, 2012, 8:48 am
by torilen
You know - I would have sworn up and down that I had fixed that. I really remember fixing that.
Thanks though - I'll take care of it and repost for anyone who wants "good" copies.

Glad you like them, though.

Should have a new pack out soon - rune stones that allow for psionic-type abilities.