Page 1 of 11

Food !!

PostPosted: April 23rd, 2011, 7:00 am
by ken
We really do need a Food!! thread here, let's face it, we all graze when indulging in our Favourite Pastime, namely HeroQuest.
El_Flesh & I have swopped a few ideas back & forth, but what about you, you & YOU. Yesterday, I had a really wonderful bottle of wine with some friends, and discovered a new (to me) cheese. Ilchester (trade name) Mexicana Cheddar. Its an orange coloured processed cheddar, with chopped chilis in it. Now usually I don't go for cheeses that have additions, prefer straight up flavours, ie, goats cheese, Brie, Camambert and the like, but this one really does it for me. Try it right at the end of your cheeseboard, after the blues. Hope you like it. :mrgreen:

Re: Food !!

PostPosted: April 23rd, 2011, 3:02 pm
by torilen
Well...talking about cheeses...my favorites are goat, brie, and gorgonzola. Now...with the brie...you HAVE to leave the rind on.
There is no use even eating the stuff without the mold. :)

Otherwise, for snacking...I like kettle chips...lite on the salt...maybe bbQ flavored. And something chicken. I love chicken.

Re: Food !!

PostPosted: April 23rd, 2011, 4:17 pm
by gravaillon
just beer beer BEER ! Dwarven beer, it's the best food for HQ players. Heavy beer of course!

Re: Food !!

PostPosted: April 23rd, 2011, 6:22 pm
by ken
torilen wrote:Well...talking about cheeses...my favorites are goat, brie, and gorgonzola. Now...with the brie...you HAVE to leave the rind on.
There is no use even eating the stuff without the mold. :)

Otherwise, for snacking...I like kettle chips...lite on the salt...maybe bbQ flavored. And something chicken. I love chicken.

Well, you are obviously a Cheese Lover. No real man cuts the rind off, any soft cheese. I have to say, I ain't no chicken lover, but I do put some in the Jumbalaya, purely for grandma.

Re: Food !!

PostPosted: April 23rd, 2011, 11:28 pm
by el_flesh
absolutely the rind has to stay on. In fact I was mentioning tonite to Ninja that the best cheeses you really don't want to smell. Oka smells like old gym sox, but it tastes quite good; being nothing like the smell.

Re: Food !!

PostPosted: April 24th, 2011, 3:07 am
by ken
el_flesh wrote:absolutely the rind has to stay on. In fact I was mentioning tonite to Ninja that the best cheeses you really don't want to smell. Oka smells like old gym sox, but it tastes quite good; being nothing like the smell.


Grandma likes a smelly one called "Munster", I have to say, the smell is enough to put me off. We lived in France for a while, and she sent one to her Dad, through the Post. Poor old Postie thought something had died when he delivered it. :mrgreen:

Re: Food !!

PostPosted: April 24th, 2011, 11:14 am
by torilen
I was always under the impression that Boar's Head brand cheese was good cheese...but the munster that they
sell does not smell funny or bad. I do like it a lot though - that is, in fact, my son's favorite cheese, too.

Re: Food !!

PostPosted: April 24th, 2011, 12:04 pm
by ken
torilen wrote:I was always under the impression that Boar's Head brand cheese was good cheese...but the munster that they
sell does not smell funny or bad. I do like it a lot though - that is, in fact, my son's favorite cheese, too.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying there is anything wrong with Munster, just the pong that gets to me. What about the blues? Gorganzola, Bresse Bleue, Pipo Creme, and our own (UK) Stilton.

Re: Food !!

PostPosted: April 24th, 2011, 8:39 pm
by sadkitchen
I think we need to rename this thread Cheese !! and not Food !! :)

On to the topic of the original post. When I started playing with someone other than my brother, it was customary for us to consume large quantities of chips or pretzels and Green Soda (Mountain Dew/Mellow Yellow/Sun Drop/Moon Mist) Name the cheapest 2-Liter you could find that day. Once we graduated from high school the soda got upgraded to beer. Once we realized that beer shortened our playing time a lot (because a lot of beer was being consumed) it was replaced with water. And once we started drinking water the chips and pretzels phased themselves out. So we ended up sitting around a table talking about each others thermoses and trying to figure out which one keep our water the coldest the longest. (every now and then one of us would make Iced Tea but that was very inconsistent). So we ended up a bunch of 20somethings behaving like we were way past over the hill. (seems that the older players on this site are more lively (in their food selections at least) than we were so |_P .

When I play with my nephew (age 8) he is not allowed to have any food or liquid around the board (not my rule but I do enforce it) due to an issue he had with a different game.

-SadKitchen

Re: Food !!

PostPosted: April 24th, 2011, 10:12 pm
by joec
Most of our playing sessions involve coca-cola, water, and a few glasses of beer, although now our sessions don't revolve around HeroQuest, but other games like Betrayal at House on the Hill, Isla Dorada, and Settlers of Catan until two of my players get married in August.

Since my lady and I have been hosting, I've been doing some grilling of Italian sausage or hamburgers, and maybe some chicken.