Page 1 of 2

So I got a call from my mother today...

PostPosted: July 4th, 2010, 3:02 pm
by Daniel Anteron
And someone tried to brake into their new house that isn't even finished yet. *shakes head* What has this world come to where a house out in the middle of the country is being broken into? They did major damage to a thousand dollar door and minor damage to another one. But on the bright side they didn't get in, and the cops got a good finger print off of one of the windows they tried to break into. So hopefully they will find out who this jerk is and throw him in jail or make him pay for the damages. My parents are spending almost all the money they can afford to build this house, and they were already concerned about not having enough money to finish it before this. Sorry, for the totally random post, I just felt like ranting. :x

Re: So I got a call from my mother today...

PostPosted: July 4th, 2010, 9:31 pm
by drathe
Yeah, people are real jerks sometimes. Houses under construction receiving break-ins, vandalism and even burned down by arsonists is actually a pretty common occurrence. Most banks won't even finance a house under construction unless it has builder's insurance. Builder's insurance is very pricey too. People like to steal new things from new homes to sell or use in their own places. Totally sucks when it happens, especially to someone you know.

Six years ago, I was building a house in a very pricey new subdivision and they had three houses there burned to the ground during the time ours was framed.

Re: So I got a call from my mother today...

PostPosted: July 5th, 2010, 1:03 am
by Daniel Anteron
drathe wrote:Yeah, people are real jerks sometimes. Houses under construction receiving break-ins, vandalism and even burned down by arsonists is actually a pretty common occurrence. Most banks won't even finance a house under construction unless it has builder's insurance. Builder's insurance is very pricey too. People like to steal new things from new homes to sell or use in their own places. Totally sucks when it happens, especially to someone you know.

Six years ago, I was building a house in a very pricey new subdivision and they had three houses there burned to the ground during the time ours was framed.

That's crazy man. Yeah apparently it happens out there quite a bit as well. People would steal their front doors even. I mean seriously?

Re: So I got a call from my mother today...

PostPosted: July 5th, 2010, 1:33 pm
by el_flesh
We're supposed to be raised better than this in the Western world. My friend from Spain tells me that you have to have bars on your windows and on your door at night.
How far off are we from that? I've had my house broken into three times in one year once. Why do people cheat and take from others?
The point of our civilization is that everyone can use their particular skills to work and pay for what they need instead of cheating...

Re: So I got a call from my mother today...

PostPosted: July 5th, 2010, 1:42 pm
by drathe
My overall views are that humans tend to be lazy and selfish by nature (often greedy). It's the better of us that use our minds and strive to improve ourselves and break away from this basic nature (though we may fail at times). There are a few who just don't bother to better themselves and will harm others just to get ahead.

Hm, sounds kinda bleak now that I reread that. I would say that there is a majority that strives for improvement, but the few who don't just give us all a bad name.

Re: So I got a call from my mother today...

PostPosted: July 5th, 2010, 8:07 pm
by torilen
hey daniel - sorry to hear about that, man. Glad no one got hurt or anything though.

You know what would be great - Turkish law - chop his hand(s) off. HA

Re: So I got a call from my mother today...

PostPosted: July 6th, 2010, 8:44 am
by Daniel Anteron
el_flesh wrote:We're supposed to be raised better than this in the Western world. My friend from Spain tells me that you have to have bars on your windows and on your door at night.
How far off are we from that? I've had my house broken into three times in one year once. Why do people cheat and take from others?
The point of our civilization is that everyone can use their particular skills to work and pay for what they need instead of cheating...


I know right? It's terrible the way our society has become. It makes me want to put traps up or something.

drathe wrote:My overall views are that humans tend to be lazy and selfish by nature (often greedy). It's the better of us that use our minds and strive to improve ourselves and break away from this basic nature (though we may fail at times). There are a few who just don't bother to better themselves and will harm others just to get ahead.

Hm, sounds kinda bleak now that I reread that. I would say that there is a majority that strives for improvement, but the few who don't just give us all a bad name.


You're just stating the truth. In all honesty I wouldn't even say the majority of people in the world strive for improvement. Unless if you mean by killing and stealing to get it. Just look at all the country's fighting for this reason.

torilen wrote:hey daniel - sorry to hear about that, man. Glad no one got hurt or anything though.

You know what would be great - Turkish law - chop his hand(s) off. HA


Thanks man. I'm glad no one got hurt either. Lol to be honest when I heard about this I wanted to rig a shotgun up on that door so that away if it happened again they wouldn't be around to talk about it. :x

Re: So I got a call from my mother today...

PostPosted: July 6th, 2010, 9:41 am
by torilen
i've often thought that myself - unfortunately they call that trapping, which is apparently illegal.
You have to do it in person, and make sure they stay inside the house afterward. :) Then you're safe

Re: So I got a call from my mother today...

PostPosted: July 6th, 2010, 10:08 am
by el_flesh
It's also illegal to shoot a bear in the wild. I think that if a bear is damn well charging me down, I'm going to say hang the law and stay the hell ALIVE!

Re: So I got a call from my mother today...

PostPosted: July 6th, 2010, 12:48 pm
by drathe
I'm pretty sure Self-Defence works in the case of bears, too. As long as you can prove you weren't hunting bears. Wear a couple deer hides in Court to help make your case.