Page 1 of 4

Ken

PostPosted: June 9th, 2017, 9:50 am
by Big Bene
Hey all!

Does anyone know what / how Ken is doing?
You know, the guy who played HQ with his grandchildren, lover of good food and wine.

Seems he has been absent since 2013. Does anybody know how to contact him?

Re: Ken

PostPosted: June 9th, 2017, 12:36 pm
by Goblin-King
No idea... People drift in and out of both the Inn and the game.
Best advice I can give is to shoot him a PM in case he has the e-mail notification turned on.
At the very least he'll see it if he should randomly poke in for whatever reason.

Re: Ken

PostPosted: June 9th, 2017, 1:47 pm
by knightkrawler
I often wonder, with many members of the inn and OldScratch's.
Like john, who was ancient when he started posting...
All of a sudden, people stop posting and then visiting.

As said, people are awakened and then fall asleep again.
Life keeps getting in the way of the hobby. Or other stuff.

For example, what's chaoticprime doing? I miss him, and I'm dead serious about that. I don't give two shits what anyone else thinks about that.*
El_flesh. Miss him, too. Malcadon should be way more active, mako-heart, all these awesome people... mikemacdee... I can't even name them all.
And then there's the relief you feel when people like Decipher return and post again. I love these moments.
______________________________________________________________________________

*For the casual reader, chaoticprime is a very controversial figure in the community whose contribution
is way underestimated in my opinion. He literally took his things and left the building after some ruckus.
I haven't contacted him since...

Re: Ken

PostPosted: June 9th, 2017, 2:02 pm
by clmckay
knightkrawler wrote:
For example, what's chaoticprime doing? I miss him, and I'm dead serious about that. I don't give two shits what anyone else thinks about that.*
El_flesh. Miss him, too. Malcadon should be way more active, mako-heart, all these awesome people... mikemacdee... I can't even name them all.
And then there's the relief you feel when people like Decipher return and post again. I love these moments.
______________________________________________________________________________

*For the casual reader, chaoticprime is a very controversial figure in the community whose contribution
is way underestimated in my opinion. He literally took his things and left the building after some ruckus.
I haven't contacted him since...



Ya know I miss him too, and Sjeng. He doesn't seem to be 'round nearly as much. I know he had some personal trouble and was going to try and start a gaming business. Was looking forward to hearing about that, but it's been so quiet with him.

Back when all that happened I bookmarked chaoticprime's photobucket page, that had a bunch of HQ stuff on it. I still look at it once in awhile. I figured he'd still keep up with the hobby and make new material. Sadly, while he's posted a few random pictures here and there, none have been HQ related.

But....we have new(er) members, and they've been more active and visited back rather than one and done. I like that. Starting to feel like an old fart, that says "remember when...". Must be a little nostalgic.

You guys remember the old BBS door systems? There was a game called Legend of the Red Dragon. Every year or two I still fire up telnet and find a functioning BBS and play that game for awhile.... (wow that took a random turn...)

Re: Ken

PostPosted: June 9th, 2017, 2:15 pm
by Anderas
Sometimes it is the hobby that comes in the way of the hobby. Sjeng once said he is more on Boardgame geek right now as there are so many new dungeon crawlers around.

Chaoticprime hat cool ideas about traps.

Re: Ken

PostPosted: June 10th, 2017, 1:37 am
by Big Bene
Well, of course I know people are coming and going, both in real live and the Inn.
I wanted to contact Ken for a practical reason, so it's really specifically about him, not about everyone we miss.
Goblin-King wrote:No idea... People drift in and out of both the Inn and the game.
Best advice I can give is to shoot him a PM in case he has the e-mail notification turned on.
At the very least he'll see it if he should randomly poke in for whatever reason.
Probably teh best advise, I didn't think of the email notification - but I've already sent him a PN, just hoping he would read it. He didn't yet, but well, hope is the last to die.

Having said this, if I have triggered a thread about "missed ones", that's all OK for me, just don't forget the original question - if someone knows Ken, please tell me.

As for Chaotic Prime, I found him really annoying. He was a troll - started heated discussions just for the sake of it, and when he run out of arguments, resorted to call people names. He was always extremely teachy in his writing, while hardly semiliterate in the subject ("I have read a book about it!"). I know he had a difficult live, but so have others. We appear by pseudonymes and avatars here - who knows about the real live of anyone?
And still, I would rather like to have him still around. He had good ideas, HeroQuest related.
I haven't contacted him since...
Well, you should have (or should now). You seemed to be somewhat of a friend to him.
|_P

Re: Ken

PostPosted: June 10th, 2017, 2:14 am
by knightkrawler
I have never had contact with ken, so I can't help there.
I'll see if I can find chaoticprime anywhere at some point. Maybe.

I don't recall him calling people names and his arguing style was provoking rather than resorting to anything.
His assessment of rule text was mostly spot on and pointing out the mistakes people made when they read the rules as children and carried over wrongly from way back when without re-interpreting
was what made him unpopular to many. It seems arrogant, I know, but I never perceived him that way.
I seem to remember people reacting arrogantly after being pointed out to them that they played vanilla Hero Quest wrongly (as in, you read the rules wrong).

And please don't anyone get a debate started about how beautiful Hero Quest was and how everyone should play it as they like.
It is absolutely true and this very inn proves how that has become a hobby in itself!
BUT I am - and chaoticprime was - talking about Rules As Written in the cases I mean.
After he left, someone opened a thread about "What rules did you play wrong as a kid" and some such, and I would have loved to see him argue there. |_P

Big B., please do re-assess for yourself what a troll is in internet terms. Chaoticprime wasn't a troll.

Re: Ken

PostPosted: June 10th, 2017, 2:52 am
by Goblin-King
I miss both Sjeng and TMU. Both seem to still visit, but they are not really active anymore.

Re: Ken

PostPosted: June 10th, 2017, 6:09 am
by Big Bene
@Knightkrawler
We will certainly never agree about Chaoticprime.
You are his friend, as far as internet social intercourse goes, and I still find him annoying.
As his "friend" I respect you for defending him - I even expect this from you, everything else would have been very bad style.
You may have noticed that I pointed out I, too, would rather have him still around, and this is more from my side than he or you can ask for, I think.

I can remember at least two times re resorted to call people names when his arguments went thin, right out of my head, plus very frequent times of other unfair or inappropriate forms of debating.
Of course, he didn't fit every nuance of the definition of an internet "troll" - as a known and named forum member, he couldn't pretend being someone else, for example. But the essential part of the definition - at least for me, you may disagree - is that a troll starts or contributes to a debate not to find the best solution, point out his point of view, give relevant facts, or at all because of any real interest in the subject, but just to provoke arguments. This is what makes trolls annoying in the first place and the reason why they were given a special name in the net community. And Chaotic prime did this, he even said so himself and was proud of it.

As for his approach to the rules, I'm mostly with him. It was not this part of his presence here I was referring to. As I wrote above, he had good ideas, regarding HQ.

I will not go any deeper. I will not point out the exact posts I'm referring to. Everyone should read those old threads with an open mind and make his opinion based on his own impression. If you want to discuss Chaoticprime further, we can do so via PN. I don't want to rant about anyone who is (pitily) absent behind his back. I still respect him as a person.
I will strictly stick to not writing anything about him at all in this thread from now on.

As for Sjeng and TMU, they both were last active about a week ago - nothing like Ken or Chaoticprime. They are not "lost", just not as busy around here as usual. When we want contact them, we can easily do so. Nobody can post 5 times a day in a single forum all his life. I don't get nostalgic because they are a little absent - but I certainly would if we would "loose" them.

Re: Ken

PostPosted: June 10th, 2017, 6:57 am
by Goblin-King
Big Bene wrote:As for Sjeng and TMU, they both were last active about a week ago - nothing like Ken or Chaoticprime. They are not "lost", just not as busy around here as usual. When we want contact them, we can easily do so. Nobody can post 5 times a day in a single forum all his life. I don't get nostalgic because they are a little absent - but I certainly would if we would "loose" them.

I know I know... But it still feels a bit like that old friend you occasionally meet at the supermarked. It's technically not long since you saw each other, but it's long time since you went for a beer together. If that makes sense :roll: