Page 1 of 3
Price for Quests/Quest Packs

Posted:
June 23rd, 2016, 9:30 am
by torilen
Suppose, hypothetically, that someone was going to create and sell quests or quests packs
for HQ, or a HQ clone that is original and legal to sell. Two questions:
1 - What would you think would be a good price for individual quests, or perhaps two or three
quests grouped together. I ask this going off of an old idea proposed here...that being that quests
could have two or three different endings, depending on what the heroes do or do not accomplish.
In that case, the "quest pack" would have different paths, and it seems like a waste to have a
gaming group buy ALL of the quests, considering they might not use a number of the quests if
they never follow that path.
I was thinking maybe $1.00 to $2.00 for a single quest, maybe $3.00 for two or three quests together.
That is, if possible to print and sell for that price without incurring a loss.
2 - What would be a good price for a full quest pack...say 10 to 15 quests all together.
I was thinking maybe $10.00 for a full quest pack.
Realize that my plan would be, if I ever get to this point, would be to try and have a flat price...after
any taxes involved. So...no $9.99 plus tax or anything like that.
Re: Price for Quests/Quest Packs

Posted:
June 23rd, 2016, 10:15 am
by Gold Bearer
Custom made HQ for

Boo!
Re: Price for Quests/Quest Packs

Posted:
June 23rd, 2016, 10:28 am
by whitebeard
There is very good HQ stuff online for free. Grab any classic D&D adventure and adapt. While copyrighted, it can still be found online for free. Dragon Magazine is another good source to mine.
I think there is no market. If you can pull traffic to a Website with great content, you can sell adds. And other things.
Re: Price for Quests/Quest Packs

Posted:
June 23rd, 2016, 12:01 pm
by mitchiemasha
No price is a good price. That's just the way it is.
Re: Price for Quests/Quest Packs

Posted:
June 23rd, 2016, 4:03 pm
by torilen
Well, maybe custom made HQ for money, yes, boo, perhaps.
I've created a full roleplaying game, though...based mostly on HQ rules.
I'll be putting it up for publishing/sale soon. I haven't decided the format I
intend to use for quests/adventures quite yet. Been going back and forth
between a couple of different ideas. That's why I asked.
Re: Price for Quests/Quest Packs

Posted:
June 24th, 2016, 9:41 am
by The Road Warrior
How much do you intend to sell the full game for?
Would probably need to know this before we can give an idea how much we would expansions to cost.
Re: Price for Quests/Quest Packs

Posted:
June 24th, 2016, 11:15 am
by torilen
It is just a rules book - like D&D type books (no art inside right now, though).
I plan to sell the main rule book for about $15.00 or $20.00...through Amazon
and DriveThruRPG initially. That is for Print. PDF will be lower...not sure how
much lower, though.
Supplement books will vary in price, depending on how many pages and how much
detail is involved in the writing. For example...the first one that will come out...that
talks about the world around the heroes...economy...creating NPC's...and more detailed
in religion and alignment...that will most likely be $10.00 for print. The second one...
a festival setting for the players to use...will be $7.00 to $10.00.
The first world setting...when I have it ready...will be $15.00, probably. That will include
about 6-8 pages of maps and info on the lands.
Most adventures...if full adventures...will most likely be $5.00 or $8.00, maybe.
Again, I haven't decided on format, yet. I initially was thinking about writing them
like old-school D&D adventures, since I won't be able to use HeroScribe to create
quest packs. I have a couple of self-printing tile sets that I really like...but I
don't know if the creators would let me use those as a base for my adventures.
Re: Price for Quests/Quest Packs

Posted:
February 28th, 2017, 4:20 pm
by Daedalus
I haven't thought this through, but my opinion is size matters...content, that is. If you want a single Quest format, a couple of pages isn't likely to impress. In the past, I've seen some of your Quests (3?) linked with fluff backstory, special rules, Quest notes, and maps. That might be sufficient to justify laying down a few bones, particularly if art is included. At theses prices, I guess you are going with black and white layout, right? What about the Quest(s) cover? Color will sell better, but is it planned?
A thought about 1 Quest pricing vs. 3 or a 10+ Quest pack: include a bonus side Quest or alternate-branch Quest or two to help the buyer commit the extra dough. I mean don't keep linear pricing, say $1/Quest--people love value.

Re: Price for Quests/Quest Packs

Posted:
February 28th, 2017, 4:32 pm
by knightkrawler
To elaborate what I think of this:
My stuff is downloadable for free and it is exactly what you describe as an original HQ clone.
Free to enjoy. Or not.
Even back when this thread was created, I was like, The Audacity!
Re: Price for Quests/Quest Packs

Posted:
March 1st, 2017, 7:07 pm
by whitebeard
Since this thread has been resurrected... Allow me to post the definitive answer:
$0