Page 1 of 2

Capture the flag, with foam swords

PostPosted: September 3rd, 2014, 6:19 pm
by torilen
Okay - so I have two nerf foam swords and a large foam hammer. My son also has a peter pan foam sword (very small).
My son, my daughter, and I sword fight with all of these weapons.
I just picked up two TMNT foam weapons for my nephews for their birthday next month, and I am getting my son his
own special sword for his birthday this month.
AND, I may be getting one or two other foam weapons soon, if the price stays low.

Needless to say, we'll have plenty of foam swords for playing and fighting. So, I started thinking about perhaps all of
us playing capture the flag - it will still be a couple of years, as my son is turning 5, and the nephews are turning 4,
and my daughter will be three in February. But, I figured might as well start working on good rules of play and stocking
up on needed equipment until then.

The following are the rules I've come up with so far. The only problem is that it requires everyone to be honest about whether
they get hit or not...but we're all family, shouldn't be a big issue. Tell me what you think, and if you have any suggestions for
improvement or additions, let me know.


For combat/sword fighting - If get hit on the torso
(chest/stomach/back), you must count to 20 (one-one thousand, two-one
thousand, etc.) - stand still during your counting - then you can
continue. No waiting near someone counting so you can get them again
immediately.

"Archer" get a toy bow to carry/"use" - small yellow balls to throw
at targets - must have toy bow in other hand when throwing, so any
other weapon must be put down or put away - must hit target in
torso, as with close combat

"Wizard" - can only use small hand-held weapon or staff - gets
'spells' to throw at target (these will be painted tennis balls) -
red is fire ball, and can hit target any where - blue is lighting,
and if it hits target anywhere, any person within double reaching
distance is hit, as well - green is simple magic bolt, and must hit
target in torso.

Optional close combat rule - if target gets hit in arm, cannot use
that arm for the rest of that particular combat battle - if gets hit
in leg, must stay off that leg for the rest of that particular
combat battle.

Re: Capture the flag, with foam swords

PostPosted: September 3rd, 2014, 10:23 pm
by KT_Cobra
Makin' memries. :)

Re: Capture the flag, with foam swords

PostPosted: September 10th, 2014, 1:23 am
by pumonca333
Google "Amtgard". it's exactly what you're talking about doing, and has a whole established system of rules.

Re: Capture the flag, with foam swords

PostPosted: September 10th, 2014, 10:56 am
by torilen
I downloaded the books - I will check them out.
Seems to be a LOT of rules for role-playing. I guess most are needed to add some amount of
realistic role-play ability.

I found a local group that is involved in this - look at their facebook page, though, there seem
to be a lot of...what's the right word...douches? Not sure if I'd want to get involved with some
of those people.

In nothing else, the rules could give me some ideas of what to do with my son, nephews, and their
friends.


Thanks.

Re: Capture the flag, with foam swords

PostPosted: September 10th, 2014, 11:16 am
by IvenBach
I just the simpsons image flashing through my mind where Bart takes off the protective foam padding and whacks Homer in the shins saying 'Hey it works better without the padding!' I now must look at torilen in an awkward new light... Just don't go out and do this in public. Foam swords with kids is one thing, but with other full grown adults... Eeek that exceeds :geek: on so many levels to become :creepergeek:

PS: After some light reading I have another reason to :lol: at Texas.

Re: Capture the flag, with foam swords

PostPosted: September 15th, 2014, 4:08 pm
by Daedalus
I think Torilin only has this in mind for the family with him as a referee, so lucky kids. (Then again, dads make scary monsters.) The other adults should also be okay with it, of course. Sounds like they are.

A couple of thoughts:
Good luck on getting a three year old to slowly count up to twenty!

Don't let a kid throw tennis balls at short range for magic. This will eventually end up in a face shot and tears. Maybe nerf balls would work better. You could have fun with spells by changing the object to suit the effect. For example, a short length of cord could be thrown for a hold spell if it lands across the target kid.

Re: Capture the flag, with foam swords

PostPosted: September 15th, 2014, 4:39 pm
by torilen
Three year old is the youngest. My son is 5, my nephews will be 4 next month.
And I wasn't planning to try this for at least another year. I want them to be mature enough
to be able to handle running around and swatting each other with swords - my son is ALMOST
there. The boys (nephews) get a little wild, though.

Good point about throwing the balls. I may take your advice and try to find small nerf balls or
something similar. I had thought about the idea of changing the items thrown...like a small piece
of rope for a hold spell, as you suggested. I think that might work. I'll just have to be really careful
to make it long enough to throw and catch onto someone running, but not long enough to trip, or
worse, choke.

And yes, this is mainly just for me, my son and daughter, my newphews, MAYBE a couple of their
friends if they want to and their parents would be okay with it. Might try to get my brother-in-law
to help referee, or one of the friends' parents if they are there.

Re: Capture the flag, with foam swords

PostPosted: September 15th, 2014, 10:15 pm
by IvenBach
So this is how larpers are born. Hope they get into it cause good childhood memories are something that can't be taken away.
[Reveal] Spoiler: "Don't forget to duck"
There is blunt force trauma to the head but that's the exception.

Re: Capture the flag, with foam swords

PostPosted: September 16th, 2014, 8:41 am
by torilen
Let me tell you all something. I got my son his own sword for his birthday. It is a scant
4 inches shorter than he is, and quite a bit more sturdy than the nerf swords we have been
playing with up until now. It is also a bit heavier. He can use it, but it takes some effort...
I guess it will be something he can grow into.

He had me use it for a bit, though, and I got his leg with a solid hit. Didn't swing any harder
than I usually do, but since it is so much sturdier, it got him good and made him cry pretty hard
for at least a minute. I felt so bad.

So, word of warning to any who buy foam swords for their kids - some of the better quality swords
really are that...better quality...which means more pain for all. :barbarian:

Re: Capture the flag, with foam swords

PostPosted: September 16th, 2014, 10:42 am
by IvenBach
Raise him right. By the time he gets older he'll have a threshold of pain that nothing will be able to stop him, not even the :gargoyle: . |_P Most the time they get back up pretty quick. It's when they don't that one worries.