• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Food !!

Guests may gather here for General Discussions about almost any Topic. NO BRAWLING!
Forum rules
Certain topics have become known to cause friction among passionate members. We kindly ask that topics relating to these subjects be taken outside the Inn to Websites that specialise in those subjects.

Thus far, these topics are: Recreational Drugs, Religion and Science.

Re: Food !!

Postby el_flesh » June 12th, 2012, 11:50 pm

Cynth! BABY!!!

...nothing else to say. 'cept don't share your "small amount" with any of us; it'll be gone real quick.

.....yup, I love the ol
Camembert, non-pasteurise
NORMANDY brand, and we generally go for the cheap Bleue, some mass produced thing or other...Damafro or some co. like that. Lately we've been trying to cool it on the cheez; it does add alot of Calories real fast. So, ya, I've been trying and failing...

Wine (my homemade Merlot, nothing to get excited over, but not bad...) Cheese Baguette...I'm all set. It's all I need.
"I will raise your dead body as an undead skeleton. Then I will make it do unspeakable acts. Like taking a shower." - El Flesh.

Image


Rewards:
Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Created a Hot Topic.
User avatar
el_flesh

Exiled
Exiled
 
Posts: 1315
Images: 4
Joined: April 25th, 2010, 4:38 pm
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Re: Food !!

Postby cynthialee » June 13th, 2012, 12:23 am

I don't plan on cracking open the last of the hooch for many years.
;)

Can't have it properly aged if I don't let it age!
So it is said that if you know your enemies and know yourself, you can win a hundred battles without a single loss.
If you only know yourself, but not your opponent, you may win or may lose.
If you know neither yourself nor your enemy, you will always endanger yourself.
~Sun Tsu The art of War~


Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic.
cynthialee

Swordsman
Swordsman
 
Posts: 1848
Images: 4
Joined: September 27th, 2011, 10:56 am
Location: the forests of Washington State
Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Re: Food !!

Postby el_flesh » June 13th, 2012, 4:12 pm

Also it would be pretty cool to see how
I made bear


What kind? Black, Brown, Kodiak?....
"I will raise your dead body as an undead skeleton. Then I will make it do unspeakable acts. Like taking a shower." - El Flesh.

Image


Rewards:
Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Created a Hot Topic.
User avatar
el_flesh

Exiled
Exiled
 
Posts: 1315
Images: 4
Joined: April 25th, 2010, 4:38 pm
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Re: Food !!

Postby ken » June 13th, 2012, 5:14 pm

cynthialee wrote:I was once a homebrewer. I made bear, ale, wine, mead, and soda pop. One of my ex's was an alchoholic (somewhat under control but there were episodes...) and I decided that it would be cheeper on my wallet in the long run if I learned how to home brew.
My favorite brew to make is hefeweizen. Wine, I like a simple merlot. Mead is where I would get experimental. I have had some of the worlds worst mead and the worlds best mead come from my vats. Too bad I lost the note book (or my ex stole it) that had the notes on how I made that batch that came out tasteing like it was made by Dionysius himself. :(

I even tried my hand running a 'stil a few years back just to learn the skill. Gave away most of the 'shine to friends over the years in the form of home made liquers (I make an awesomely delicious kalua, my cream liquor is ok but not worth braging about), ussed some of it as solvent a few times, drank a quart or two myself and there is small amount left that is stashed back in a climate controled area aging in charred oak. Been there for about the last 5 years. I figure I won't touch it for at least Another 10. It is running at about 196 proof. (gotta love a reflux still)
;)


What's this BEAR you mention? I once made a still from a pressure cooker, with a length of plastic hose running from the fitting where the weights normally sit, through a copper pipe coil fitted into a tub of water, with an outlet where the finished moonshine came out. I "cooked" a gallon of elderberry wine, and drank the product laced with tonic water. Only did it the once, just to use up the wine. Still here to tell the tale.


Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic.
User avatar
ken
The Greybeard

Elven Archer
Elven Archer
 
Posts: 591
Joined: August 24th, 2010, 3:26 am
Location: norfolk uk
Forum Language: British English
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Re: Food !!

Postby cynthialee » June 13th, 2012, 5:46 pm

A presure cooker will work in a pinch.
The still I had I got from the bay. Read a few books then ran a couple of 25 gallon batches of hooch. Once I got the hang of it I sold the still.
Every once and awhile I miss it but I really do not need such a large still.
I would love to get a small copper pot still after the style of the the old time Scottish Poteen still's. I figure a one or 2 gallon pot would work best for a home stove top unit. A reflux colum is nice, but I see no need for such purity. 115-130 proof would be fine and dandy. The 190+ proof stuff is just rediculous to be honest. You can't socialy drink it. A couple drinks in and you are smashed.
So it is said that if you know your enemies and know yourself, you can win a hundred battles without a single loss.
If you only know yourself, but not your opponent, you may win or may lose.
If you know neither yourself nor your enemy, you will always endanger yourself.
~Sun Tsu The art of War~


Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic.
cynthialee

Swordsman
Swordsman
 
Posts: 1848
Images: 4
Joined: September 27th, 2011, 10:56 am
Location: the forests of Washington State
Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Re: Food !!

Postby el_flesh » June 14th, 2012, 12:44 am

Is there ever any danger of going blind?
My buddy's dad made banana shine back in '85. Man was it good. I was worried a bit, since I had heard you can screw up and make it have whatever type of alc makes you blind...
But not worried enough NOT to enjoy it!
"I will raise your dead body as an undead skeleton. Then I will make it do unspeakable acts. Like taking a shower." - El Flesh.

Image


Rewards:
Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Created a Hot Topic.
User avatar
el_flesh

Exiled
Exiled
 
Posts: 1315
Images: 4
Joined: April 25th, 2010, 4:38 pm
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Re: Food !!

Postby ken » June 14th, 2012, 2:34 am

el_flesh wrote:Is there ever any danger of going blind?
My buddy's dad made banana shine back in '85. Man was it good. I was worried a bit, since I had heard you can screw up and make it have whatever type of alc makes you blind...
But not worried enough NOT to enjoy it!


That is the main reason why I only tried it once. If you had this problem drinking Joe Soaps Homebrew, it least you would have someone to sue |_P


Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic.
User avatar
ken
The Greybeard

Elven Archer
Elven Archer
 
Posts: 591
Joined: August 24th, 2010, 3:26 am
Location: norfolk uk
Forum Language: British English
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Re: Food !!

Postby cynthialee » June 14th, 2012, 9:57 am

Yes you can make crap that will blind. It is from the methyl alcohol, what we drink is ethyl. The way to get rid of the methyl alcohol is pretty simple. You run the still a few degrees cooler than the 173F (78C) at which ethyl boils. Methyl boils around 149F (65C), so you bring the still up to about 150-160F for about an hour and all the stuff you get from this part of the run is poison. Throw it away or use it as a solvent. I save it, label it as Methyl Alchohol and use it as a solvent.
So it is said that if you know your enemies and know yourself, you can win a hundred battles without a single loss.
If you only know yourself, but not your opponent, you may win or may lose.
If you know neither yourself nor your enemy, you will always endanger yourself.
~Sun Tsu The art of War~


Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic.
cynthialee

Swordsman
Swordsman
 
Posts: 1848
Images: 4
Joined: September 27th, 2011, 10:56 am
Location: the forests of Washington State
Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Re: Food !!

Postby cynthialee » June 14th, 2012, 12:04 pm

Once you have the methyl removed you will have fusel oils remaining in the batch. These are higher order alchohols and they make the booze nasty tasting and make a hangover harder than it needs to be.
When you bring the still up to temperature and it starts running clear shine, the first couple hours will provide the best product. To the end of the run the booze will start to run a tad cloudy, might be hard to see at first but once you get an eye for it you will know it when you see it. This is crap, yes it will get you plowed, but it is hang over booze. Best ussed as an industrial product if you ask me. Now filtering through carbon and then ageing in chared oak can help the fusel laden alchohol, but it just isn't worth the bother. Just keep the really clear and relatively fusel free alcohol as your booze and get rid of the poison (methyl) and fusel oils.
So it is said that if you know your enemies and know yourself, you can win a hundred battles without a single loss.
If you only know yourself, but not your opponent, you may win or may lose.
If you know neither yourself nor your enemy, you will always endanger yourself.
~Sun Tsu The art of War~


Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic.
cynthialee

Swordsman
Swordsman
 
Posts: 1848
Images: 4
Joined: September 27th, 2011, 10:56 am
Location: the forests of Washington State
Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Re: Food !!

Postby el_flesh » June 14th, 2012, 1:44 pm

Wow. I wonder how much trial and error was required for this process to be eventually worked out...

Do you use the methyl as paint thinner? Also - I wonder why wine/beer/plums/elderberries doesn't have enough methyl to blind you? Since we don't drive it off thru boiling when we ferment it?
"I will raise your dead body as an undead skeleton. Then I will make it do unspeakable acts. Like taking a shower." - El Flesh.

Image


Rewards:
Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Created a Hot Topic.
User avatar
el_flesh

Exiled
Exiled
 
Posts: 1315
Images: 4
Joined: April 25th, 2010, 4:38 pm
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

PreviousNext

Return to Ye Olde Pub

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests