• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Problems Galore

Guests may gather here for General Discussions about almost any Topic. NO BRAWLING!
Forum rules
Certain topics have become known to cause friction among passionate members. We kindly ask that topics relating to these subjects be taken outside the Inn to Websites that specialise in those subjects.

Thus far, these topics are: Recreational Drugs, Religion and Science.

Re: Problems Galore

Postby IvenBach » August 1st, 2013, 5:19 pm

Just tried some Simple Green on a bad paint job. Dropped him in last night and left him submerged. :P Stuff does a great job of removing the varnish and the paint. Once I get done with the group I'm on now I'll go back and see how many more get to go swimming. Now I can actually think about ebaying some poorly painted minis :twisted: . Strip them down and give them my own poor paint job. All part of learning it seems. Are there any people out there that have had good success doing this? Any exceptional deals they found?


Rewards:
Wrote an article for the Blog. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in two (2) Miniature Exchanges. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
User avatar
IvenBach
The NEEEEEEEEEEEERD!!!

Halberdier
Halberdier
 
Posts: 1308
Images: 4
Joined: November 30th, 2012, 7:26 am
Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member Scribes Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Re: Problems Galore

Postby Jewels! » August 1st, 2013, 8:59 pm

Metal or plastic?


Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Created a Hot Topic. Participated in a Miniature Exchange. Slain a measly Goblin! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
User avatar
Jewels!
A diamond in the rough

Ogre Chieftain
Ogre Chieftain
 
Posts: 245
Joined: June 9th, 2013, 9:33 pm
Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Re: Problems Galore

Postby Sjeng » August 2nd, 2013, 2:24 am

Works on both very well. I've stripped plastic minis and repainted them. No problems at all. Just wash them well after stripping them, so nothing stays behind on the mini. Dry it and prime it.
Check out my YouTube channel Boardgame Heaven, and drop me a sub please!


Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Wrote twenty (20) articles for the Blog in three (3) sections. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
User avatar
Official Spokesman
Sjeng
Ye Olde Orcish Bard

Wizard
Wizard
 
Posts: 4536
Images: 92
Joined: July 26th, 2011, 9:58 am
Location: The Netherlands
Forum Language: Nederlands
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member Scribes Group Member

Re: Problems Galore

Postby IvenBach » August 2nd, 2013, 10:53 am

Jewels! wrote:Metal or plastic?
The mini i soaked was a standard HQ plastic goblin. If you're referring to the deals I mentioned either metal or plastic. Just wondering about any sort of deals that may have been achieved.

Sjeng when you stripped your minis did you worry about a bit of primer that was left behind in the nooks and crannies? I've cleaned just about everything off of this first mini but still have a little bit in those hard to reach areas. I don't think it will be a problem since I'm going to reprime him. If I however were to think about stripping others that I've primed in order to capitalize on ebays pricing :roll: anything you could suggest to get all that primer out? I've soaked him for a second day and will scrub him up in a little bit to see how it will turn out. Not that I am actually thinking of doing such blasphemy.


Rewards:
Wrote an article for the Blog. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in two (2) Miniature Exchanges. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
User avatar
IvenBach
The NEEEEEEEEEEEERD!!!

Halberdier
Halberdier
 
Posts: 1308
Images: 4
Joined: November 30th, 2012, 7:26 am
Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member Scribes Group Member

Re: Problems Galore

Postby Sjeng » August 2nd, 2013, 11:40 am

just use an old electrical toothbrush. but I didn't mind little bits left on.
Check out my YouTube channel Boardgame Heaven, and drop me a sub please!


Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Wrote twenty (20) articles for the Blog in three (3) sections. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
User avatar
Official Spokesman
Sjeng
Ye Olde Orcish Bard

Wizard
Wizard
 
Posts: 4536
Images: 92
Joined: July 26th, 2011, 9:58 am
Location: The Netherlands
Forum Language: Nederlands
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member Scribes Group Member

Re: Problems Galore

Postby IvenBach » August 3rd, 2013, 1:19 am

I'm thinking of doing a non HQ mini but am looking for the input form those that have experience with painting light colors, mainly white. I got the idea to paint a couple of my minis after they resembled Children of the Light characters in the Wheel of Time series. What's the best way to deal with light colors? I'm guessing priming in white would be a must but after that? Minis first then the inspiration or idea that I'd be going for. I haven't done any painting of white other than eyes and hear that it can be difficult at best to terribly frustrating.
Image
Image

Image
Last edited by IvenBach on August 16th, 2013, 1:27 am, edited 1 time in total.


Rewards:
Wrote an article for the Blog. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in two (2) Miniature Exchanges. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
User avatar
IvenBach
The NEEEEEEEEEEEERD!!!

Halberdier
Halberdier
 
Posts: 1308
Images: 4
Joined: November 30th, 2012, 7:26 am
Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member Scribes Group Member

Re: Problems Galore

Postby Sjeng » August 3rd, 2013, 2:56 am

prime in a light color, then paint the white areas a light/medium grey. Paint over that in a lighter grey, leaving the recessed areas alone, etc, until you apply white on the raised areas. your image there illustrates it quite well.
Check out my YouTube channel Boardgame Heaven, and drop me a sub please!


Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Wrote twenty (20) articles for the Blog in three (3) sections. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
User avatar
Official Spokesman
Sjeng
Ye Olde Orcish Bard

Wizard
Wizard
 
Posts: 4536
Images: 92
Joined: July 26th, 2011, 9:58 am
Location: The Netherlands
Forum Language: Nederlands
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member Scribes Group Member

Re: Problems Galore

Postby bruenor » August 3rd, 2013, 4:08 am

The way I paint a bright white is to prone it all white making sure its a good even coat and then shade the folds/recess areas with varying greys.
If you slip just go over it with more white.
So much easier than highlighting grey to white.


Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic. Participated in two (2) Miniature Exchanges.
User avatar
bruenor

Necromancer
Necromancer
 
Posts: 343
Images: 26
Joined: January 18th, 2013, 1:37 pm
Location: Lincolnshire UK
Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Re: Problems Galore

Postby IvenBach » August 15th, 2013, 6:12 pm

I am doing my goblins and it's taking me 2 bosecoats to cover up everything so that you don't see any of the grey primer that I used. The colors I'm using are Green, Blue, and Red. It's not anything like its a blatant spot I've missed but when you're looking at the miniature you can see that it's not completely opaque. The green leaves a bluish hue to it if it isn't covered well enough. I am watering my paint down enough so that I don't loose detail when painting but a little frustrating going back a second time to cover the spots that don't have 'enough' coverage. Does anyone else have an issue with this? I picked up a can of white primer and will be trying that on the minis I'm stripping down and will be repainting. I believe it was GK who said he feels new painters should start with white so I'll see how it compares with the grey I've used so far.

I was able to fix all but one of the goofy eyes this time around. I was worried that every one of the goblins and orcs was going to have googly alien eyes but they look somewhat normal. Working on shirts and pants.


Rewards:
Wrote an article for the Blog. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in two (2) Miniature Exchanges. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
User avatar
IvenBach
The NEEEEEEEEEEEERD!!!

Halberdier
Halberdier
 
Posts: 1308
Images: 4
Joined: November 30th, 2012, 7:26 am
Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member Scribes Group Member

Re: Problems Galore

Postby IvenBach » August 23rd, 2013, 11:14 am

Does anyone have any tips for the flesh parts I painted on my barbarian? I picked up a bottle of Vallejo Dark Flesh and put it on his flesh yesterday. As it dried it went from a flesh tone to a more 'sunkist' color. When the paint finally dried it looked like my barbarian had turned into barby as his skin tone was now tanning bed orange... :evil: Needless to say I double checked to make sure of the color and under another name by Reaper it comes up as 'Burned Orange'... I've finally a few dollars that I put towards paints so I'm looking for some sturdy suggestions of flesh tones that get a lot of use. In addition to that is there any recommendations that can be made to fix Mr. Goldenboy as I'll call him for now? I tried to use some Devlan Mud wast to tone it down and now he looks like an overly tanning-bed'ed dirty barbarian :cry:.

On a positive note I finished all the base coat and minor details on my goblins. Just need to do some drybrush highlights into them and varnish. Do minis look better without a wash or does it depend? I had thought about using a wash on them but don't want to have gone through the work of getting them this far only to mess it up at the very end. I'm sure it depends on preference but I'm still needing plenty of guidance as I've no knowledge/preference myself.

I may actually get a HQ game in this weekend!


Rewards:
Wrote an article for the Blog. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in two (2) Miniature Exchanges. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
User avatar
IvenBach
The NEEEEEEEEEEEERD!!!

Halberdier
Halberdier
 
Posts: 1308
Images: 4
Joined: November 30th, 2012, 7:26 am
Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member Scribes Group Member

PreviousNext

Return to Ye Olde Pub

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest