• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

I have now painted my first HQ figure!

Guests may gather here for General Discussions about almost any Topic. NO BRAWLING!
Forum rules
Certain topics have become known to cause friction among passionate members. We kindly ask that topics relating to these subjects be taken outside the Inn to Websites that specialise in those subjects.

Thus far, these topics are: Recreational Drugs, Religion and Science.

Re: I have now painted my first HQ figure!

Postby Sjeng » November 4th, 2015, 4:21 pm

Great job!

Tip for colour coding: only paint the outer edge of the base!
I do this for my heroes:
Red trim = Barbarian
Blue trim = Wizard
Yellow trim = Dwarf
Green trim = Elf

I also have female versions, with the same colour trims.
Plus, I also have mercenaries, and I'm painting one of each type (halberdier, crossbowman, scout and swordsman) with trims in each of these colours. That way, when using mercs, you'll know which one belongs to which hero.

I can also add new colours into te mix, like purple/orange/pink for whatever new classes I come up with, but I'd need some extra mercs, or simply remember the merc colour.

My monsters are all black. Don't really need colour codes for them, but you could still do some sort of coding.

TL;DR: use the edges for colour coding.
Check out my YouTube channel Boardgame Heaven, and drop me a sub please!


Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Wrote twenty (20) articles for the Blog in three (3) sections. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
User avatar
Official Spokesman
Sjeng
Ye Olde Orcish Bard

Wizard
Wizard
 
Posts: 4536
Images: 92
Joined: July 26th, 2011, 9:58 am
Location: The Netherlands
Forum Language: Nederlands
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member Scribes Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Re: I have now painted my first HQ figure!

Postby Jackyboy » November 4th, 2015, 4:37 pm

@ alyndavies - Thank you for the compliment mate. As far as the black in the eyes go; well I painted the eyes black, then added red but not over the whole black.

@ Knightcrawler - Thank you for the shading information. I tried using a much lighter blue over my first initial highlighting; although i kind of like the result it certainly doesn't look like highlighting. It now looks more like the orc is wearing a dressing gown! :lol: I will definitely use the shading technique mixing the two blues together, this will save me buying tons of different blues just to get the same effect. I will post up how I get on with the next lot of orcs :D

@ Sjeng - Great idea for the bases. Really like the use of this with the mercs and understanding what mercs go with what heroes. I will have to use this technique! I will need to put my hands of some mercenaries ( I have AHQ but that is all)
Please PM me if any of my old links to files are currently down. I am in the process of hosting them somewhere new!

:)


Rewards:
Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer
Jackyboy

Ogre Chieftain
Ogre Chieftain
 
Posts: 235
Images: 4
Joined: November 24th, 2013, 7:59 am
Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Re: I have now painted my first HQ figure!

Postby Jackyboy » November 7th, 2015, 5:56 pm

update

Here are some photos of my orcs so far :) Their eyes are red but you can't see that in these photos :(

Image

Image

Image

One thing I would really like to know is a good technique for getting blood stains on the weapons. Dirty and dark I am thinking, not bright pink like the old school hammer horror films :lol:
Please PM me if any of my old links to files are currently down. I am in the process of hosting them somewhere new!

:)


Rewards:
Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer
Jackyboy

Ogre Chieftain
Ogre Chieftain
 
Posts: 235
Images: 4
Joined: November 24th, 2013, 7:59 am
Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Re: I have now painted my first HQ figure!

Postby IvenBach » November 8th, 2015, 1:48 am

Keep up the progress!


Rewards:
Wrote an article for the Blog. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in two (2) Miniature Exchanges. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
User avatar
IvenBach
The NEEEEEEEEEEEERD!!!

Halberdier
Halberdier
 
Posts: 1308
Images: 4
Joined: November 30th, 2012, 7:26 am
Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member Scribes Group Member

Re: I have now painted my first HQ figure!

Postby knightkrawler » November 8th, 2015, 3:08 am

I see progress.
The trick is to become bolder and bolder with highlights in every painting session. You're on a path, so keep treading it. Thumbs up.

For blood, mix in some dark blue (or some blue and some black) into a really red red until you're satisfied with the tone. A little darker than you'd intuitively want, maybe.
Paint some completely random stains, keep directions in mind. Biggest pools at the edge of the blade, pulling inside/backwards.
Then highlight the bigger pools with a lighter red (the base mix with some more of the red you've used).
You can also take an old fraggled up brush and sprinkle on some spatters with your finger. Pulling the bristles back and slowly letting them go. I hope you get what I mean, it's not easy to describe in words.

Here's a recipe for really great realistic blood in greater pools. And in the future, because there's no need to buy this all cause results from other techniques can be great, too:
Tamiya Clear Red X-27 - slowly add regular black acrylic paint until dark enough - slowly add UHU Alleskleber or an American competitor for it if there is one until sticky enough - voilà.

*Disclaimer: use an old synthetic brush, both the tamiya and the glue will destroy the brush so it can only be used for this exact technique in the future. Or use toothpicks or other tools. Tamiya paints need to be thinned with their own thinner or with alcohol, but for our pruposes it's not really much of an issue unless you choose to shade metallics with their clear colors and other advanced techniques.
HQ - Heroes & Villains (Dropbox-download link) https://www.dropbox.com/sh/jgj0kzsys9w38oh/AAA_VEHx6vMv4HKRX7IiOWTFa?dl=0
Feedback http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=3560
Gallery http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=56&t=1972&hilit=knightkrawler+gallery&start=200
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I've found a way of paying off old debts:
Always make more promises than you can break.


Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
User avatar
Cheese Baron
knightkrawler
The Furry Blue Derailer

Witch Lord
Witch Lord
 
Posts: 5825
Images: 27
Joined: May 25th, 2012, 2:26 pm
Location: Regensburg, Germany
Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Re: I have now painted my first HQ figure!

Postby slev » November 8th, 2015, 8:06 am

Yeah, looking good.
Loving the AHQ background too!


Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
User avatar
slev

Scout
Scout
 
Posts: 1069
Images: 6
Joined: August 26th, 2014, 7:55 am
Location: Manchester
Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Re: I have now painted my first HQ figure!

Postby Sjeng » November 8th, 2015, 1:18 pm

I use an old drybrush for blood spatters. just tap straight ahead with the brush. You'll get tiny spots, which looks good as splatters.
Check out my YouTube channel Boardgame Heaven, and drop me a sub please!


Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Wrote twenty (20) articles for the Blog in three (3) sections. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
User avatar
Official Spokesman
Sjeng
Ye Olde Orcish Bard

Wizard
Wizard
 
Posts: 4536
Images: 92
Joined: July 26th, 2011, 9:58 am
Location: The Netherlands
Forum Language: Nederlands
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member Scribes Group Member

Re: I have now painted my first HQ figure!

Postby IvenBach » November 8th, 2015, 1:25 pm

knightkrawler wrote:The trick is to become bolder and bolder with highlights in every painting session.

I need to remind myself of more contrast. http://www.juliencasses.com/2013/10/contrasts-who-are-they also mentions highlights as well. Was a good little read for me.


Rewards:
Wrote an article for the Blog. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in two (2) Miniature Exchanges. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
User avatar
IvenBach
The NEEEEEEEEEEEERD!!!

Halberdier
Halberdier
 
Posts: 1308
Images: 4
Joined: November 30th, 2012, 7:26 am
Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member Scribes Group Member

Re: I have now painted my first HQ figure!

Postby knightkrawler » November 8th, 2015, 2:32 pm

Yeah, the seven contrasts... I tried to implement every one of them on one mini - the Orc in the gallery.
HQ - Heroes & Villains (Dropbox-download link) https://www.dropbox.com/sh/jgj0kzsys9w38oh/AAA_VEHx6vMv4HKRX7IiOWTFa?dl=0
Feedback http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=3560
Gallery http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=56&t=1972&hilit=knightkrawler+gallery&start=200
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I've found a way of paying off old debts:
Always make more promises than you can break.


Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
User avatar
Cheese Baron
knightkrawler
The Furry Blue Derailer

Witch Lord
Witch Lord
 
Posts: 5825
Images: 27
Joined: May 25th, 2012, 2:26 pm
Location: Regensburg, Germany
Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Previous

Return to Ye Olde Pub

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 1 guest