by chaoticprime » May 4th, 2014, 3:39 pm
I totally almost got into a fist-fight with my brother's brother-in-law, Mark, over freakin' string-theory.
While talking among company, I stated that antimatter wasn't naturally occurring. He argued that "its out there." Basically, his point was that it was present on other branes. I argued that that isn't antimatter, its matter, only relative to a theoretical place that is neither "here or there." He started to try to explain string theory to me, but I stopped him with the accusation that he wasn't even trying to argue any kind of point anymore, but just rambling. I basically shouted at him for awhile, about how he began neglecting the original argument, and then he accused me of going off on a tangent--when that was exactly what he had done. He then accused me of arguing badly, when all I was doing was telling him that. I got up into his face, and told him that he was going to get "knocked the fraggle out." He told me to "go ahead," but then my mom jumped between us. He was a big ol' cracker, but he was still smaller than me.
So, yeah, I almost got into a fist-fight over science.