• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Talisman

Topics related to Talisman

Re: Talisman

Postby chaoticprime » August 21st, 2013, 5:30 am

I play Talisman more often than I watch television.

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic. Participated in a Miniature Exchange. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer
chaoticprime
Practically Lives Here

Swordsman
Swordsman

Forum Language: English (United States)
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Postby Blackthorn » September 29th, 2013, 11:46 pm

We played Talisman again tonight, this time with five players and for some reason it just wasn't as much fun. After two hours it became tedious and the randomness grew tiring. Maybe it was the additional player, maybe it was the fact that we ventured into the middle region too soon, or maybe it was just the mood we were in, but I think we will choose something else for our next gaming session...or perhaps return to HeroQuest.

- Steve
Fear the chinkle!

Rewards:
Wrote an article for the Blog. Created a Hot Topic.
Blackthorn

Orc Shaman
Orc Shaman

Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby IvenBach » September 30th, 2013, 2:02 am

I played my friends copy and sometimes it was a lot of fun and others we forced ourselves to keep going. Guess it depends on the group and the overall mindset. Don't forget that bad stuff early on can turn players off for that entire gaming session. If you aren't enjoying it maybe give it another try later, if not move on and get into something you like.

Rewards:
Wrote an article for the Blog. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in two (2) Miniature Exchanges. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
IvenBach
The NEEEEEEEEEEEERD!!!

Halberdier
Halberdier

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member Scribes Group Member

Postby Patroclus » September 30th, 2013, 4:27 pm

Blackthorn wrote:We played Talisman again tonight, this time with five players and for some reason it just wasn't as much fun. After two hours it became tedious and the randomness grew tiring. Maybe it was the additional player, maybe it was the fact that we ventured into the middle region too soon, or maybe it was just the mood we were in, but I think we will choose something else for our next gaming session...or perhaps return to HeroQuest.

- Steve

Wow! 5 players? This should take too long. I’ve played it with four and it starts to go very slow. I believe three should be the maximum number of players for a normal game and I usually play it with only two which is the best in my opinion.

Rewards:
Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in two (2) Miniature Exchanges. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Patroclus

Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Usergroups:

Postby chaoticprime » September 30th, 2013, 7:16 pm

Patroclus wrote:
Blackthorn wrote:We played Talisman again tonight, this time with five players and for some reason it just wasn't as much fun. After two hours it became tedious and the randomness grew tiring. Maybe it was the additional player, maybe it was the fact that we ventured into the middle region too soon, or maybe it was just the mood we were in, but I think we will choose something else for our next gaming session...or perhaps return to HeroQuest.

- Steve

Wow! 5 players? This should take too long. I’ve played it with four and it starts to go very slow. I believe three should be the maximum number of players for a normal game and I usually play it with only two which is the best in my opinion.

Two player games are too soft--the game is about screwing over your neighbors, and if there's only one you get tempted into making peace at times and just letting the randomness of the game predict the winner. With three players you get to squash one player between two others and ruin their chances at winning. Talisman isn't about winning, its about making sure the other players don't win.

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic. Participated in a Miniature Exchange. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer
chaoticprime
Practically Lives Here

Swordsman
Swordsman

Usergroups:

Postby IvenBach » September 30th, 2013, 9:30 pm

chaoticprime wrote:the game is about screwing over your neighbors ... Talisman isn't about winning, its about making sure the other players don't win.

Doesn't that just about sum up most games?

Rewards:
Wrote an article for the Blog. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in two (2) Miniature Exchanges. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
IvenBach
The NEEEEEEEEEEEERD!!!

Halberdier
Halberdier

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby chaoticprime » September 30th, 2013, 10:57 pm

IvenBach wrote:
chaoticprime wrote:the game is about screwing over your neighbors ... Talisman isn't about winning, its about making sure the other players don't win.

Yes, mostly. Talisman has an almost unique degree of randomness, however, that makes winning the game a different affair every time--eating other players helps to mitigate that randomness. If that makes any sense.

Rewards:
chaoticprime
Practically Lives Here

Swordsman
Swordsman

Usergroups:

Postby IvenBach » October 1st, 2013, 1:09 am

Yeah. I played talisman a few years ago. Seemed like you either got a small advantage that snowballed you all the way through or got screwed. Really was no in between in the games as I remember them.

Rewards:
IvenBach
The NEEEEEEEEEEEERD!!!

Halberdier
Halberdier

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby Blackthorn » October 1st, 2013, 1:29 am

IvenBach wrote:

Not HeroQuest ;)
Fear the chinkle!

Rewards:
Wrote an article for the Blog. Created a Hot Topic.
Blackthorn

Orc Shaman
Orc Shaman

Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby IvenBach » October 1st, 2013, 2:03 am

You apparently haven't played Zargon/Morcar much... :P

Rewards:
IvenBach
The NEEEEEEEEEEEERD!!!

Halberdier
Halberdier

Hero:
Usergroups:

PreviousNext

Return to Talisman Room