Page 1 of 1

Redone Psyker skills ("Space Marine Librarian" WD)

PostPosted: March 19th, 2022, 4:54 pm
by Kurgan
Inspired from White Dwarf Magazine #134, I modified these card fronts for the "Psyker"'s Psionic powers ("Psychic Power Cards"). This was an obvious ploy to get readers who play Space Crusade to buy another Warhammer 40K miniature with this character called a "Space Marine Librarian" basically this game's equivalent of a Wizard. If I was viewing this through the lens of the "de-magicified world" this would be like the futuristic equivalent of a mentalist alchemist.

I was lucky enough to snag a (primed in white!) Deathwing Space Marine Librarian mini, which is the exact figure they advertised in the WD issue detailing this character. They designed the figure to work with a five mission series where they also try to get you to buy more minis to use as "gene stealer hybrids" but that's probably going beyond what I plan to do. The other article of course was in issue #145 that got you to buy Space Marine Terminators and Orks (I already have a bunch of Orks so using those).

I haven't decided what the back will look like, as I've been thus far trying to follow the conventions of the basic game (putting a generic image of a Psyker on the back would look more like a HeroQuest spells set).

Mostly I just re-worded, resized and tried to make it so that one set would work for any of the three "chapters" of Space Marines. I haven't yet proofread them, so it's possible a few mistakes have gotten through.

According to the rules laid out in the article, they intend the Psyker character to have only one life point, but he wears terminator armor (a slightly stronger, slower version of the standard Space Marine outfit) and has a storm bolter and power axe, so he's pretty powerful despite the low life count. He has 12 powers to choose from, but can only pick one from each of the four groups (blue - temporal, green - kinesis, red - power and yellow - psionic).

If I limit it to one set of cards (instead of 12 cards for each chapter with identical options) that means they will be fighting over who gets what powers instead of in theory having identical abilities.

I'm also tempted to use the Eldar Attack expansion convention of allowing the Psyker to take a hit without dying IF he has an unused card left... in that case he just loses the card. So in theory since he has four psychic cards, he could take up to 5 life points worth of damage, making him weaker than a commander but much stronger than an ordinary soldier.

These are being designed to work for "US Game Deck" size cards, and should map appropriately onto that size with sites like BGM or MPC.com.

Re: Redone Psyker Powers

PostPosted: March 19th, 2022, 4:55 pm
by Kurgan
Power cards...

Re: Redone Psyker Powers

PostPosted: March 19th, 2022, 4:58 pm
by Kurgan
Psionic cards...

Re: Redone Psyker Powers

PostPosted: March 19th, 2022, 5:00 pm
by Kurgan
Kinesis cards... (the symbols are taken from wingdings and clip art grabbed online)

Re: Redone Psyker Powers

PostPosted: March 19th, 2022, 5:02 pm
by Kurgan
Some images tinkering with... grabbed from both the magazine and a game model... I realize by default it is using the blood angels (red) symbol, but that can be removed easily enough to make it more generic. Again I'm favoring the white color (the white armored character on the front of the game box is actually the Blood Angels commander).

Re: Redone Psyker skills ("Space Marine Librarian" WD)

PostPosted: April 2nd, 2022, 1:10 am
by Village
These are great. Thanks for sharing

Re: Redone Psyker skills ("Space Marine Librarian" WD)

PostPosted: April 5th, 2022, 3:18 pm
by Kurgan
Working on the cardback. To follow suit with the previous examples I suppose I could put the story text on one side and the game text on the other. Images are various 40K related images found online since only a couple are provided in the White Dwarf article. Probably put a color coded symbol to match the "suit" at the bottom. Might play with the contrast a bit too.

(sample, test and image not final)