• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Need Help Painting Space Crusade

Topics related to Space Crusade

Need Help Painting Space Crusade

Postby Jackyboy » January 25th, 2016, 8:22 am

Good Day!!!

I really want to start painting my Space Crusade legions and I also really want to get the paint schemes correct! I have been reading up on Space Marines in the latest codex and have looked online for Space Crusade paint schemes. I have not been able to find much at all sadly.

Has anyone here painted their models and can give me some guidance as to the colours they used. Goblin King I saw you posted on Dakka Dakka about this and didn't receive much info. Have you painted your set since then?

I look forward to seeing some amazingly well painted Space Marine squads :dwarf:
Please PM me if any of my old links to files are currently down. I am in the process of hosting them somewhere new!

:)

Rewards:
Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer
Jackyboy

Ogre Chieftain
Ogre Chieftain

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Re: Need Help Painting Space Crusade

Postby Goblin-King » January 25th, 2016, 11:36 am

Right here!!!

Well, I never got any definitive answer. And frankly I think SC stays as true to 40k lore as HQ does to Fantasy... (Not particularly)
I went with them being tactical marines. All in all makes the most sense. Nothing seems to tie them to any particular company...
So where does that leave us?

Well, they all have their respective chapter logos on the left shoulder.

Imperial Fists
Black trims, white arrow
Blue eyes
VIRTUS for commander banner

Ultramarines
yellow trims, white arrow
Red eyes
ULTRA for commander banner

Blood Angles
Red trims, yellow drop
Green eyes
CADES for commander banner

I've saved the marines for the last. I'm almost through painting all the monsters. But I did paint up a single marine prototype :)

Also the orks seem to be Bad Moons, which dictates a color scheme of primarily yellow and black
Last edited by Goblin-King on January 26th, 2016, 9:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges.Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Ye Olde Judge Dredd
Goblin-King
Really looks like David Bowie

Frozen Horror
Frozen Horror

Hero:
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby Jackyboy » January 25th, 2016, 11:53 am

wow he looks fantastic! :)

I would be very interested in seeing your monsters painted. And even more interested to know what paints you used. I know it is asking a lot; perhaps just one monster for now with paint scheme so I can crack on starting the Space Crusade project. ( I still have about 50 HQ figures to get through as yet though!) :lol:

thanks again Goblin King :)
Please PM me if any of my old links to files are currently down. I am in the process of hosting them somewhere new!

Rewards:
Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer
Jackyboy

Ogre Chieftain
Ogre Chieftain

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby knightkrawler » January 25th, 2016, 12:37 pm

I have to say something here.
Warhammer 40k is fiction. The minis are unpainted for you to paint them. What do you do? "Research" to find the "correct" color scheme.
Why? I don't understand. Why do people have to paint their Space Marines as a chapter pre-invented by GW? Where's the creativity?
I really don't get this peculiarity in miniature painting in general, but Space Marines are the example that outright pisses me off the most.
It's not a freakin' football club, and they are not historical models...

I really really don't understand why so few people try something new with these models, which lend themselves to SO many possibilities!

I say, what color combinations turn you on the most? Are three of those really different from one another? Then use those!
I'm sorry, but this rant was necessary, I had to get this off my chest.
And if these shown by GK are in fact your favorite color combos, then, well, go with them. Just don't be fanboyish like so many GW players.
When you paint, be a painter.
HQ - Heroes & Villains (Dropbox-download link) https://www.dropbox.com/sh/jgj0kzsys9w38oh/AAA_VEHx6vMv4HKRX7IiOWTFa?dl=0
Feedback http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=3560
Gallery http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=56&t=1972&hilit=knightkrawler+gallery&start=200
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I've found a way of paying off old debts:
Always make more promises than you can break.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Cheese Baron
knightkrawler
The Furry Blue Derailer

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby Jackyboy » January 25th, 2016, 6:48 pm

Hi KnightKrawler

Of course first and foremost you are correct. I understand what you are saying and agree with you mostly. However, for me I really want to paint my space crusade as to the colours they were intended. Intended as far as the three space marine chapters are concerned; Blood Angels, Ultramarines and Imperial Fists.

I also ask for colour schemes and ideas of how things look as I am still very much learning how to paint. I feel I am learning at a rate which I am pleased with but at present I am still trying to understand how to theme colours. I used someones paint log on another forum I found when painting my heroquest figures and at the present time am still very happy to do this. Also as I do this I am constantly buying news paints to do this and I am building up quite a collection. I have just started to 'feel' my way around some figures with my own paint schemes and I think I am doing ok.

But back to the point. Space Crusade as a background and I want to recreate that world. I am currently reading codex's to get an understanding of the world it is set and I think it is a very rich world. Don't get me wrong GW are becoming very rich from it also and they sort of pray on the OCD completionist consumer that 'needs' to have everything just right!! and I do understand where you are coming from when you talk about the GW fans... BUT! I just really want to paint my figures up to represent the world in which it is set :)

Rewards:
Jackyboy

Ogre Chieftain
Ogre Chieftain

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby Goblin-King » January 26th, 2016, 5:47 am

Oh knightkrawler you grumpy old man...
There's not a correct way to have fun!

Researching and learning about the lore and backgrounds can be very enjoyable. It's not just boring work.
In the context of the lore it's satisfying to look at the painted minis and say "that's exactly how they looked".
Finally what I really wanted to do with these models were to experiment with giving them a battleworn look with mud, rust and scratches. That's where my creative energy went with this set.

For this game I also very much considered the miniatures to be playing pieces. Everything is tied to the specific 3 chapters. The models, the cards, the consoles...
Painting them green, black and white would just be confusing when introducing new players. It makes sense to keep them in the right colors.
With my Tyranid army on the other hand I just invented an original scheme since it's just the models that count.

@ Jackyboy - I'll try and get some photos of the monsters today or tomorrow... soon-ish...

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges.Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Ye Olde Judge Dredd
Goblin-King

Frozen Horror
Frozen Horror

Hero:
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby Anderas » January 26th, 2016, 7:31 am

:D
KK has a point here.

In fact, GW states EXPLICITELY that the 20 chapters are not the only color schemes, but there are hundreds upon hundreds of non-described successor chapters, and they explicitely show no pictures apart from a drawing here and a hint there.
What happens? The 40k community copies the 5 most used color schemes all over. :D It's the community that's really special here, not GW. No-one knows why.

In the case of Space Crusade, i think they chose exceptionally well with Red, Yellow, Blue. It is very good distinguishable, even for red/green blind persons; as the pre chosen yellow is bright and the red is dark.
What i don't like is the colors they have chosen on the game carton. Wow they're truly ugly! :D

Rewards:
Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Anderas
NOT Andreas!

Polar Warbear
Polar Warbear

Hero:
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member
Champion Group Member

Postby slev » January 26th, 2016, 9:16 am

Blood Angels.
Paint in red, highlight with orange, shade with light brown.
Pads trimmed in company colour
Black or red weapons, black or gold or red aquilia

Imperial Fists
Painted in yellow, highlighted with bright yellow, shade with seppia.
Pads untrimmed except for command.
Black weapons, red aquilia

Ultramarines
Painted in blue, highlight with light blue, shade with dark blue.
Pads trimmed in compnay colours
red or black weapons, White or gold aquilia

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
slev

Scout
Scout

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Goblin-King » January 26th, 2016, 1:37 pm

Anderas wrote:In fact, GW states EXPLICITELY that the 20 chapters are not the only color schemes, but there are hundreds upon hundreds of non-described successor chapters, and they explicitely show no pictures apart from a drawing here and a hint there.
What happens? The 40k community copies the 5 most used color schemes all over. :D It's the community that's really special here, not GW. No-one knows why.

Come on... It's no mystery why people use the existing chapters.
They are promoted like... a lot! Books, videogames, comics... None feature brand new "Chapter X". It's always the good ol' chapters.
They have actual expansive lore with a lot of different flavor. Wow! A blood curse! That's real damn neat-o! I'm gonna make a Blood Angles army.
People like the lore and the schemes. It's like asking why a cosplayer would dress up like Naruto or whatever when he could just invent his own OC Naruto character.

Anderas wrote:What i don't like is the colors they have chosen on the game carton. Wow they're truly ugly! :D

You mean the BA Commander in white armor? I think he looks rather stylish - In fact I'm gonna paint an extra commander in white armor :lol:

Rewards:
Ye Olde Judge Dredd
Goblin-King

Frozen Horror
Frozen Horror

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby knightkrawler » January 26th, 2016, 1:40 pm

Jackyboy wrote:Hi KnightKrawler

Of course first and foremost you are correct. I understand what you are saying and agree with you mostly. However, for me I really want to paint my space crusade as to the colours they were intended. Intended as far as the three space marine chapters are concerned; Blood Angels, Ultramarines and Imperial Fists.

...and that'S completely fine. I got that gist even from your question, but on the one hand wanted to make sure, and on the other wanted to vent.

I had a nice little debate on youtube the other day. Dr Faust paints Imperial Fists and uses oranges to shade yellow.
A guy asks since when Imperial Fists are orange. What a c**t...
I ask since when he's been brainwashed by GW.
He starts raving how he could just as well paint his historical soldiers in the wrong color.
So I ask if he's aware of the difference between history and fiction.
He asks if I'm aware of the difference between yellow and orange.
Then Dr Faust beat me to th punch with the only correct answer and the one I would have given: these Imperial Fists ARE yellow, ever seen a schoolbus?

What I'm trying to say, people are way too narrow-minded to even acknowledge a different nuance in the shade for a color. That's ridiculous.
I was not trying to bash on anyone using these schemes for Space Crusade. I'm well aware of the choice of the three primary colors being the best choice here.

Know what I would do?
Shade the yellow by mixing in some violet, the red with green, the blue with orange. Yes, that works. Also use these complementary colors as accent/trim colors and mix some of the respective accent/complementary into the metals. I'd also mix main and accent color to get interesting and coherent greys, for example on the bases.
To pull all factions together, I'd mix my black myself from a dark umber and a dark blue, which basically encompasses a mix of all three primary colors.

These are just the first three or four experiments that spring to mind to be done with a prerequisite color scheme. It's not about the what, it's about the how.
Have fun, that's the main goal. Once you've done your research and had some practise, you'll automatically try new things, I hope.
Jackyboy, my rant was less in your direction - you just had the bad luck of opening the thread |_P - than it was a rant on how I don't like how paint recipes are seemingly the only correct way of applying paint on miniatures, even for beginners. The theories, watching others paint, learning how to mix... these are very important before one even grabs a brush.
HQ - Heroes & Villains (Dropbox-download link) https://www.dropbox.com/sh/jgj0kzsys9w38oh/AAA_VEHx6vMv4HKRX7IiOWTFa?dl=0
Feedback http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=3560
Gallery http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=56&t=1972&hilit=knightkrawler+gallery&start=200
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I've found a way of paying off old debts:
Always make more promises than you can break.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Cheese Baron
knightkrawler
The Furry Blue Derailer

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Usergroups:

Next

Return to Space Crusade Room