• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Has anyone played Battlemasters?

Topics related to Battle Masters

Re: Has anyone played Battlemasters?

Postby benvoliothefirst » October 7th, 2016, 3:04 pm

Little bit of thread necromancy here, but I just joined the boards and wanted to pitch in. I believe boardgamegeek has a link to the instruction booklet from BattleMasters from Hasbro's web site, if other versions on here are unavailable. I have a second copy of BM I inherited from a friend whose dad built him a custom 10'x10' Battle Mat for their copy in his basement, it was epic. I started basing my BM figs on Warhammer bases so they'd be cross-compatible before I knew it was cool, haha.

Here's my Ogre in case you need some visual proof, this is from my plog, wickedmetal.blogspot.com:

Last edited by drathe on October 8th, 2016, 8:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: fixed url tag
wickedmetal.blogspot.com <--I paint HeroQuest!
My players' monthly game results
Mods I Use:
Base Quests in four difficulty steps by Anderas
Random Events by Jacob Busby (pg.5)
Karlen's Circlet by AerynB/drathe/sajungzak
Heartfelt thanks to all of you who have worked to enrich the world of HeroQuest!
Goblin-King wrote:When life gives you lemons, squeeze those lemons into your eyes, enter a berserker rage and punch life in the face!

Rewards:
Participated in a Miniature Exchange. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
benvoliothefirst

Necromancer
Necromancer

Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Postby The Admiral » January 8th, 2017, 1:55 pm

Yep, and I enjoyed it. It is worth it just for the figures and dice. It was an early version of the Command and Colours system.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Smashed a massive Gargoyle!
The Admiral

Halberdier
Halberdier

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Cael Darkhollow » October 5th, 2020, 3:57 am

I love Battlemasters and played it with my twin brother and friends for many years growing up.
Now I still play somewhat regularly with my brother but now mostly with his two sons. I even talked three of my coworkers into some Battlemasters game night sessions.
Battlemasters is a simplified version of Warhammer Fantasy Battle the same way HeroQuest is basically Dungeons & Dragons lite. I play all four games.
I like playing the bad guys as it is a challenge to win consistently. It takes a wise deployment strategy and combat tactics combined with a little luck on the dice but it can be done.
I still have my original set of Battlemasters. Over the years I acquired several other sets (seven or eight games I think) mostly complete from EBay or local yard sales and conscripted them all into my Warhammer armies, as at the time it was a tremendously cheap option to get a ton of plastic minis. I also did the same with several extra sets of HeroQuest purchased before the Ebay prices skyrocketed (I've owned six I think. so I have a lot of extra tiles, furniture, etc. so I have a painted and unpainted set of everything) and even a few extra Darkworld and Dragonstrike boardgames for the minis.

Later I tracked down a good condition complete BattleMasters set as a gift for my brother, then I tracked down the slightly different European version of BattleMasters (different unit names, flag designs, stickers and green unit trays instead of tan and dark brown) and the two Europe only rare Battlemasters reinforcement expansions for my collection: Chaos Warband and Imperial Lords.
Sometimes I play with double army size (US version and the Europe version) and with the reinforcements expansions for a truly huge battle on two mats (I still have at least half a dozen mats) with 4 ogre champions and 3 mighty cannons and as many towers as I want. I have even played Battlemasters on hotel beds (1 set usually fits) but larger games of multiple sets must be moved from the table or bed to the floor.

old pictures of my HeroQuest, Battlemasters, D&D and Warhammer collection (it has grown since!)
By Crom I'll split you crown to crotch to see if your guts are yellow as I think they are nithing BARBARIAN Ulrich
The last music you shall ever hear will be my bowstring as your forehead sprouts a feathered shaft, pity ELF Cael Darkhollow
Tomes grimoires manuals atlas formularies compendiums codexes bestiaries folios scrolls... Am I missing anything before we leave? WIZARD Eldritch Heironymous KigamMagister
Some quick axe work an' we can count the coins and gems DWARF Wulfram Magnussen
Cael Darkhollow

Orc Shaman
Orc Shaman

Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Previous

Return to Battle Masters Room