• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

[HeroQuest Prime] Master Thread

All topics related to the HeroQuest Prime project are discussed here.

Re: [HeroQuest Prime] Master Thread

Postby Teldurn » January 21st, 2016, 5:34 pm

After a good bit of playtesting and revision and fine-tuning of rules/cards/etc. for the past several months, I present to you all fine folks...

EVERYTHING YOU NEED TO RUN HEROQUEST PRIME, right here!
(except the VTT of course, heh). It includes:

Complete Rulebook - including original rules for the base game as an appendix.
Cards - spells, artifacts, treasure, skills, classes. All available in both print-ready 300DPI and 72DPI for VTT play. 238 cards in all!
Character sheet - in both color and B&W, for printing ease of use
VTT Tokens - Crafted specifically for HQP by the wonderful token artist Devin Night​
Armory - in full color!
Quest Book - "Conquering Despair," a choose-your-adventure-type of branching quest line where player decisions change the path of the story. Featuring map tiles by Heroic Maps​, including one map level made specifically for HQP!

The whole package is available in two flavors:
Google Drive docs:
EDIT: Since this project was taken offline, I am also removing the dead links here. Any future interest can be followed up with the link in my signature, for Broadsword.

-------

After spending some time doing layout and design for the Complete Rulebook (using Gary Chalk illustrations, of course!), I had a physical proof copy of it ordered for myself, so I could run it in person this year at GenCon for some friends.

Since this picture, I have revised the cover spine so it has text on it, with the name of the game and my name along the side.

Coincidentally, this page also happens to be one of the ones where I had revised the rules after an editing pass for one last time.

I also ordered 2 decks of the cards to have as well. That was pricier than I would have liked, but on the other hand, it is a deck of 230+ cards so it makes sense. This is scheduled to arrive in my hands next week. Excited!
Last edited by Teldurn on April 2nd, 2021, 7:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
War is not the answer...unless the question is, 'What is not the answer?'

Check out Broadsword, a love letter to 90s dungeon crawling board games.

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic. Destroyed a Zombie!Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Teldurn

Giant Wolf
Giant Wolf

Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Postby Bareheaded Warrior » January 22nd, 2016, 3:00 am

I don't have a Google ID, can someone make this available as a link (or Dropbox) please!
:skull: = white skull, one "hit"
:blackshield: = black skull, one "hit"
:whiteshield: = shield, cancels out one "hit"

Editions: 1989 Original First Edition [FE] and Second Edition [SE], 1990 Remake [US], 2021 Remake [21]

HeroQuest Gold new edition based on Original 1989 HeroQuest, holes patched, dents hammered out, buffed to a shiny finish with ~50 common issues fixed for a smoother experience.

HQ Common Notification System to identify squares on the board
Bareheaded Warrior

Scout
Scout

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby Teldurn » January 22nd, 2016, 11:25 am

Bareheaded Warrior wrote:I don't have a Google ID, can someone make this available as a link (or Dropbox) please!

Is it asking for you to log in even with the second, direct .zip link above?

Rewards:
Teldurn

Giant Wolf
Giant Wolf

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby GimmeYerGold » January 22nd, 2016, 11:35 am

Downloaded! Thanks for putting this together Teldurn! :D

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
GimmeYerGold

Giant Wolf
Giant Wolf

Hero:
Usergroups:
Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby Teldurn » January 22nd, 2016, 11:38 am

GimmeYerGold wrote:Downloaded! Thanks for putting this together Teldurn! :D

It's been a project of passion for the past couple years now. And you all should know I could NOT have done it without the help of everyone here!
|_P

Rewards:
Teldurn

Giant Wolf
Giant Wolf

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby knightkrawler » January 22nd, 2016, 1:51 pm

Downloaded. Will have a good long read at some point.
HQ - Heroes & Villains (Dropbox-download link) https://www.dropbox.com/sh/jgj0kzsys9w38oh/AAA_VEHx6vMv4HKRX7IiOWTFa?dl=0
Feedback http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=3560
Gallery http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=56&t=1972&hilit=knightkrawler+gallery&start=200
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I've found a way of paying off old debts:
Always make more promises than you can break.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Cheese Baron
knightkrawler
The Furry Blue Derailer

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby Teldurn » January 22nd, 2016, 1:59 pm

knightkrawler wrote:Downloaded. Will have a good long read at some point.

Please let me know any and all thoughts you have! I'd love to hear it :D

Rewards:
Teldurn

Giant Wolf
Giant Wolf

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby knightkrawler » January 22nd, 2016, 2:50 pm

I'd love to get my own krap done! |_P
All kidding aside, I'll suck ideas out of this and let you know what I think of it.
HQ - Heroes & Villains (Dropbox-download link) https://www.dropbox.com/sh/jgj0kzsys9w38oh/AAA_VEHx6vMv4HKRX7IiOWTFa?dl=0
Gallery http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=56&t=1972&hilit=knightkrawler+gallery&start=200
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Cheese Baron
knightkrawler
The Furry Blue Derailer

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby knightkrawler » January 24th, 2016, 7:54 am

I read it, flying over the "cards" I'll freely admit, and I like your changes/modifications to the rules. I trust they are all playtested.
My qualms are merely with the layout. I would have made several documents instead of one humongous tome of almost 100 pages.
Rule "Granulations", almost all of which I like, would be one doc, the others being a card supplement, and a hero supplement.
The edited original rule texts would be in the rule doc, before the "granulations".
Other than that - it boils down to accessibility - I have no major complaints.

You should maybe clear up what a 5 square radius is for Vicinity. As I understand it you mean 5 squares as if moving with a figure, freely changing direction with each square, right? Then again, as you know, I have a linguistically-anal retentive angle on these things, so if my intuition given here serves me, why shouldn't it serve your players, too...
The lack of wandering monsters in treasure decks: doesn't this cause early advancement of the heroes, given that there IS advancement offered through skills and spells and some such, even though you instead can spawn monsters if none are on the board?

I am stealing some of your ideas, in modified ways. Here's where you made me think about my own rules and their state and where you inspired me to think things over:
Traps Behind Doors, Casting Spells and Mind Points (spending MP for keeping a spell), Equipment Damage, Advancement Skills (which I'll make purchaseable cards with fixed costs and availability to hero types).
I'll read through all "cards" at some point to have myself inspired and if I find problems there, I'll let you know.

Thanks for posting this. HQP is well thought through and coherent in intention and effect.
It's not too complicated, but complex enough for RPGers coming to the board, I'll wager.

Rewards:
Cheese Baron
knightkrawler
The Furry Blue Derailer

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby Teldurn » January 24th, 2016, 11:18 am

knightkrawler wrote:I read it, flying over the "cards" I'll freely admit, and I like your changes/modifications to the rules. I trust they are all playtested.

Thank you. Indeed, the rules went through a few iterations before settling on this, which I hope to be final.

knightkrawler wrote:My qualms are merely with the layout. I would have made several documents instead of one humongous tome of almost 100 pages.
Rule "Granulations", almost all of which I like, would be one doc, the others being a card supplement, and a hero supplement.
The edited original rule texts would be in the rule doc, before the "granulations".
Other than that - it boils down to accessibility - I have no major complaints.

Which is funny because I viewed it as only about 100 pages. Whereas other RPG rule books weigh in at several hundred pages, this is light by comparison. :) Add to this that if you consider the entire Appendix II is the (modified) original rules, it brings down the "actual" rulebook to only about 68 pages.

knightkrawler wrote:You should maybe clear up what a 5 square radius is for Vicinity. As I understand it you mean 5 squares as if moving with a figure, freely changing direction with each square, right? Then again, as you know, I have a linguistically-anal retentive angle on these things, so if my intuition given here serves me, why shouldn't it serve your players, too...

I thought it was pretty self-explanatory: the radius extending out in all directions to 5 squares, with the figure as the starting point. Naturally, if the figure moves, its vicinity moves with it. Here's an example. Note here that the figures' vicinities are overlapping each other. Also note how walls affect line of sight in this example. (The red lines denote where doors are, which were hard to see on the map.)

knightkrawler wrote:The lack of wandering monsters in treasure decks: doesn't this cause early advancement of the heroes, given that there IS advancement offered through skills and spells and some such, even though you instead can spawn monsters if none are on the board?

I'm not quite sure that it does. The tradeoff here is between more monsters getting spawned on rounds where no monsters are available, and higher threat to the Heroes because they're (almost) constantly being attacked. As opposed to how the original worked, where monsters only appeared contingent to a treasure search, thus there could potentially be many rounds in a row where basically nothing happens because no one searched for treasure. ;)

Also remember that Heroes can only carry so much. No matter how many monsters are spawned, their inventory limit is rigid, so they can't carry everything to sell later. There is no affect on gold in this way, ergo no early advancement.

Edit: Also worth noting that advancement is achieved only after completing X number of Quests. So wandering monsters have virtually no effect on that.

knightkrawler wrote:I am stealing some of your ideas, in modified ways. Here's where you made me think about my own rules and their state and where you inspired me to think things over:
Traps Behind Doors, Casting Spells and Mind Points (spending MP for keeping a spell), Equipment Damage, Advancement Skills (which I'll make purchaseable cards with fixed costs and availability to hero types).
I'll read through all "cards" at some point to have myself inspired and if I find problems there, I'll let you know.

Thanks for posting this. HQP is well thought through and coherent in intention and effect.
It's not too complicated, but complex enough for RPGers coming to the board, I'll wager.

I hope I achieved my goal of breeding this boardgame with RPG elements to create a hybrid that plays more like a role playing game but still feels 100% like HeroQuest. As always, I very much appreciate all your feedback. Thank you again! |_P

Rewards:
Teldurn

Giant Wolf
Giant Wolf

Hero:
Usergroups:

PreviousNext

Return to HeroQuest Prime