• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

[HQP] Character Class cards

All topics related to the HeroQuest Prime project are discussed here.

[HQP] Character Class cards

Postby Teldurn » August 3rd, 2014, 1:38 am

Just playing around with the formatting here, I modified the standard character card. Since the subject of character cards are handled differently in the case of HQP. I wanted to see if this could work for my purposes. I might still change some stuff, depending on how it goes. Comments, critiques, or suggestions?

War is not the answer...unless the question is, 'What is not the answer?'

Check out Broadsword, a love letter to 90s dungeon crawling board games.

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic. Destroyed a Zombie!Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Teldurn

Giant Wolf
Giant Wolf

Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Re: [HQP] Character Class cards

Postby StratosVX » August 3rd, 2014, 2:38 am

Personally, I like the character's image being part of the background of the card. The characters sound interesting.

Rewards:
Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer
Scribe of Heroes
StratosVX
I hate snakes, Jacques...

Scout
Scout

Hero:
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby knightkrawler » August 3rd, 2014, 3:43 am

StratosVX wrote:Personally, I like the character's image being part of the background of the card. The characters sound interesting.

I like that, too. Only the faces shouldn't be covered by the lettering. Otherwise a fine solution.
Also, try different fonts. Gaze for the title, maybe bold or italics for the special rules parts that will help them be differentiated from the introductory sentence.
I do like the rules themselves, some of them I wrote up for my own heroes.
Don't even know if I presented them somewhere at the inn, but then again, some of them just impose themselves on you when you think about character classes.
Well done. |_P

P.S. I take it that "Complex" (as with the Chronomancer) is a special rule for equipment cross-referenced in your rulebook or somewhere else.
That's also a major feature of what I've been trying to write. Geniuseseseses think alike.
HQ - Heroes & Villains (Dropbox-download link) https://www.dropbox.com/sh/jgj0kzsys9w38oh/AAA_VEHx6vMv4HKRX7IiOWTFa?dl=0
Feedback http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=3560
Gallery http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=56&t=1972&hilit=knightkrawler+gallery&start=200
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I've found a way of paying off old debts:
Always make more promises than you can break.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Cheese Baron
knightkrawler
The Furry Blue Derailer

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby Teldurn » August 3rd, 2014, 9:24 am

knightkrawler wrote:
StratosVX wrote:Personally, I like the character's image being part of the background of the card. The characters sound interesting.

I like that, too. Only the faces shouldn't be covered by the lettering. Otherwise a fine solution.
Also, try different fonts. Gaze for the title, maybe bold or italics for the special rules parts that will help them be differentiated from the introductory sentence.
I do like the rules themselves, some of them I wrote up for my own heroes.

I used the same fonts from the template of the original cards here. But you're right, some differentiation would help the special ability stand out more. I'll see what I can do.

knightkrawler wrote:Don't even know if I presented them somewhere at the inn, but then again, some of them just impose themselves on you when you think about character classes.
Well done. |_P

P.S. I take it that "Complex" (as with the Chronomancer) is a special rule for equipment cross-referenced in your rulebook or somewhere else.
That's also a major feature of what I've been trying to write. Geniuseseseses think alike.

Yes, all of the capitalized words have specific meaning. I had posted up the rules here at the Inn some time ago, and in it all equipment has been re-categorized with keywords. This is the list of keywords I use.

Bulky - may not be used with a Two-Handed weapon
    Complex - too unwieldy to be used by Hybrid and Caster classes
    Cumbersome - too unwieldy to be used by a Caster class
    Heavy - movement is reduced to 1d6
    Long - melee attacks orthogonally 2 squares away
    Ranged - shoots projectiles at a distance up to your BP squares
    Reach - melee attacks diagonally and orthogonally
    Reclaimable - not lost once thrown, but broken on a 4, 5, or 6 on 1d6
    Thrown - is thrown at anyone at a distance up to your BP squares
    Two-Handed - requires two hands to use, may not be used with a shield

When I publish my version of the equipment sheet, it will once again list the keywords and their definitions in the corner, so even if you don't have the rules handy you will know what you can and can't do with each item.

Rewards:
Teldurn

Giant Wolf
Giant Wolf

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby Teldurn » August 4th, 2014, 11:40 pm

Here's the updated layout. (Also pictures half the size because holy cow those were huge.) It goes:
Class Name (Type)
Description
Ability
Restrictions
Stats.

ImageImageImage
Yes, I changed the art for the Chronomancer to a female Dragonkin. Because reasons.

Rewards:
Teldurn

Giant Wolf
Giant Wolf

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby StratosVX » August 5th, 2014, 5:51 am

I think the second set is better. Looking at the Warrior though, I think there is a lot going on in the background over the stats. Especially around the Body Points. Still looks really good though.

Rewards:
Scribe of Heroes
StratosVX

Scout
Scout

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby Teldurn » August 5th, 2014, 10:35 am

StratosVX wrote:I think the second set is better. Looking at the Warrior though, I think there is a lot going on in the background over the stats. Especially around the Body Points. Still looks really good though.

I agree about that, it probably should have more transparency. But remember the art is just a placeholder for now and it will be changed in the future. :)

However, it occurs to me that maybe "Restrictions" might be misinterpreted? Is it possible someone reading the card will see the list of restrictions as what the character is restricted to using? This would be the absolute opposite of what it's intended for. :( I wonder if there is a more direct and clear way of communicating that?

Rewards:
Teldurn

Giant Wolf
Giant Wolf

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby knightkrawler » August 5th, 2014, 12:02 pm

I don't understand the splitting into weapon and armor. Well, I do, but I don't think it's necessary. Do your equipment cards list those monikers like "Complex" or "Shield"? Or do they just cross-reference to a list in the rules? If the cards carry them themselves, a hero could see what he can't use after reading the restrictions on his character class card.
Thus, you could just write "none" where there are no restrictions.
HQ - Heroes & Villains (Dropbox-download link) https://www.dropbox.com/sh/jgj0kzsys9w38oh/AAA_VEHx6vMv4HKRX7IiOWTFa?dl=0
Feedback http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=3560
Gallery http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=56&t=1972&hilit=knightkrawler+gallery&start=200
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I've found a way of paying off old debts:
Always make more promises than you can break.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Cheese Baron
knightkrawler
The Furry Blue Derailer

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby Gold Bearer » August 5th, 2014, 4:45 pm

Teldurn wrote:However, it occurs to me that maybe "Restrictions" might be misinterpreted? Is it possible someone reading the card will see the list of restrictions as what the character is restricted to using? This would be the absolute opposite of what it's intended for. :( I wonder if there is a more direct and clear way of communicating that?
No ...s ;)
:goblin: 1BP, :orc: 2BP, :fimir: 3BP, :skeleton: 1BP, :zombie: 2BP, :mummy: 3BP, :chaoswarrior: 4BP, :gargoyle: 5BP. US :chaoswarrior: 3BP, US :gargoyle: 4BP.

Expanded Combined Spells: viewtopic.php?f=38&t=4296

A psychedelic substance occasionally causes psychotic behaviour in people who have not taken it. - Terence McKenna
DMT - The Spirit Molecule: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwZqVqbkyLM

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in five (5) Play-by-Post games. Created a Hot Topic. Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Destroyed a Zombie! Shattered a Skeleton! Unravelled a Mummy! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Gold Bearer

Crossbowman
Crossbowman

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby StratosVX » August 6th, 2014, 12:21 am

Teldurn wrote:However, it occurs to me that maybe "Restrictions" might be misinterpreted? Is it possible someone reading the card will see the list of restrictions as what the character is restricted to using? This would be the absolute opposite of what it's intended for. :( I wonder if there is a more direct and clear way of communicating that?

The only thing I've been able to come up with is "Prohibited".

Rewards:
Scribe of Heroes
StratosVX

Scout
Scout

Hero:
Usergroups: