• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Another long term lurker joining...

Inn Visitors may sign the Guest Book and Registered Guests may introduce themselves. (Visitors are able to sign the Guest Book)

Another long term lurker joining...

Postby Headcase14 » November 10th, 2020, 6:00 pm

Hi all,

I first received my copy of HeroQuest on my 9th Birthday. My mother had sent away all the miniatures to a friend to paint ahead of time. They were not completed to an excellent painting standard, but to my 9 year old self they were works of art! For a good few years I assumed that HeroQuest came pre-painted as standard!

Eventually I picked up a couple of the expansions, Wizards of Morcar and Against the Ogre Horde. My attempts to paint those expansions myself back then did not end well...

Like many of you, HeroQuest was the gateway to a whole universe of possibilities for me. Both Warhammer and Dungeons and Dragons became core staples of my life.

Currently however the only game I regularly play is D&D. I simply didn't have the time to do serious miniature painting anymore (although I might paint the odd model now and again for nostalgia sake).

A couple of years ago a friend wanted to offload some old miniatures he had. I was handed 3 copies of the base game, Return of the Witch Lord, Kellars Keep and 2 copies of Advanced HeroQuest.

Many of the other components were a mess after all this time, his miniatures however were mostly okay.

I kept intending to start painting them, but again, I simply never found the time.

Then 2020 happened.

Once the UK was locked down I thought I would dig out my old miniatures and try to paint them up again. I wanted to keep them in the general theme of the my old miniatures but with a few colour swaps maybe and a few extra techniques. I would just paint up the base set as an homage to my younger self...

...I have now painted 176 'HeroQuest' miniatures this year. I feel this is probably excessive...

I am not the greatest of painters, but I feel I am good enough.

So far I have painted the miniatures from:
HeroQuest
Wizards of Morcar
Against the Ogre Horde
Darkworld
Village of Fear
Advanced HeroQuest
Warhammer Quest
First Quest (a D&D game that stole the hero miniatures from Dragon Strike - they are terrible sculpts)
Talisman (I picked up some of these through the years)
Plus some 3d printed and 'misc' models I have picked up

A month or so ago, it seems the whole internet had exploded with interest in HeroQuest again, no doubt due to the new release, so I thought I would explore maybe actually playing the game again.

My exploration of 'advanced' HeroQuest rules led me here, where I found HeroQuest Revised - which looks excellent so far. I am hoping to try the new rules once Covid is over.

I am trying to focus on Plastic or Resin miniatures for the most part and will expand my growing collection to cover other games, but in the style of HeroQuest.

At some point once I figure out how to take good miniature photos I will post some here.

Good to meet you all.

Headcase

:dwarf:
Headcase14

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Re: Another long term lurker joining...

Postby StratosVX » November 10th, 2020, 10:30 pm

Welcome! Definitely post the pics of your minis. We always like those. There's plenty of homebrew rules around here that you can check out as well as additional quests. Enjoy the Inn!

Rewards:
Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer
Scribe of Heroes
StratosVX
I hate snakes, Jacques...

Scout
Scout

Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby Oftkilted » November 11th, 2020, 1:32 am

That’s awesome! There is an awesome article about miniature photography on the Warhammer Community site.

It’s pretty detailed, but solid info!
Oftkilted

Orc Shaman
Orc Shaman

Hero:

Postby Weltenlaeufer » November 11th, 2020, 11:55 am

Hey weclome headcase!

What a cool background story! I love that your friend gave you 3 base games plus expanisions! :D Yeah and please share pics of your minis here! Its always inspiring!

Rewards:
Participated in a Miniature Exchange.
Weltenlaeufer

Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Return to Ye Olde Lobby