• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Hello!

Inn Visitors may sign the Guest Book and Registered Guests may introduce themselves. (Visitors are able to sign the Guest Book)

Re: Hello!

Postby Sjeng » July 31st, 2015, 2:39 pm

Hi and welcome to the In Derpy!!
So cool to see veterans bring in their spawn little ones!

And I'm learning all sorts of new emojis too! ^3^ lol! (That's a sort of fishlips smiley right?)
Orcs never use emojis, we just scribble stuff on the walls. Well there was that one time I put a goblin's head on a wall too, perhaps that counts...
Check out my YouTube channel Boardgame Heaven, and drop me a sub please!


Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Wrote twenty (20) articles for the Blog in three (3) sections. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
User avatar
Official Spokesman
Sjeng
Ye Olde Orcish Bard

Wizard
Wizard
 
Posts: 4536
Images: 92
Joined: July 26th, 2011, 9:58 am
Location: The Netherlands
Forum Language: Nederlands
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member Scribes Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Re: Hello!

Postby The Admiral » July 31st, 2015, 5:45 pm

Derpy_Hooves wrote:@The Admiral, that's a good system you've got going on. Once in a while, my dad and I are the only ones that play, and one of us has to play an extra character. ;3;

I do agree occasionally the dwarf has its disadvantages, but, don't they all? Sure, the wizard has a collection of spells, as does the elf, but they do seem a little weak, don't you believe?
And look at the mind points, even though in the first few adventures, you don't really need to worry about it, but, the barbarian has low mind points, but is significantly stronger than the rest. (Honestly, I can't think of anymore flaws about him. I can only think of one flaw for the wizard because he's weak, but I'll see what I can muster...)

The dwarf has a toolbelt, but.. his mindpoints are sort of low?
Sorry, I really love the dwarf. ^3^ ... I've got nothing. :P
:dwarf:


Yes, the dwarf is a perfectly good character, it's just that it's strange how different characters take on a life of their own, even in a simple RPG like heroquest, and with my brother and I the dwarf just seems to end up being a pain in the butt, but we love him really.... :|


Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock! Encountered all eight (8) Game System monsters.
The Admiral

Halberdier
Halberdier
 
Posts: 1474
Joined: April 8th, 2015, 7:31 am
Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Re: Hello!

Postby IvenBach » July 31st, 2015, 8:52 pm

The Admiral wrote:Yes, the dwarf is a perfectly good character, it's just that it's strange how different characters take on a life of their own, even in a simple RPG like heroquest, and with my brother and I the dwarf just seems to end up being a pain in the butt, but we love him really.... :|

Did you just commit the cardinal sin of calling HQ an RPG? Just joking. Most of the members here will probably agree that HQ isn't an RPG but rather falls into the board game category.

Every group has things they like and each character will have its own niche in those groups. It's best when you can make full use of all the characters while making them all balanced.


Rewards:
Wrote an article for the Blog. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in two (2) Miniature Exchanges. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
User avatar
IvenBach
The NEEEEEEEEEEEERD!!!

Halberdier
Halberdier
 
Posts: 1308
Images: 4
Joined: November 30th, 2012, 7:26 am
Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member Scribes Group Member

Re: Hello!

Postby Goblin-King » August 1st, 2015, 3:40 am

The Admiral wrote:Yes, the dwarf is a perfectly good character, it's just that it's strange how different characters take on a life of their own, even in a simple RPG like heroquest, and with my brother and I the dwarf just seems to end up being a pain in the butt, but we love him really.... :|

Actually the dwarf somehow always end up being the jerk of the group...

Someone is running around opening all the doors - It's the dwarf
Someone finds a rare artifact and keeps it for himself even if another hero would really benefit from it - it's the dwarf
Someone is way behind searching for treasure while his friends are getting slaughtered - it's the dwarf

I freaking love playing the dwarf! :lol:


Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges.Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
User avatar
Ye Olde Judge Dredd
Goblin-King
Really looks like David Bowie

Frozen Horror
Frozen Horror
 
Posts: 3545
Images: 85
Joined: September 26th, 2011, 2:54 pm
Location: Sønderholm, Denmark
Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Re: Hello!

Postby whitebeard » August 1st, 2015, 9:22 am

Goblin-King wrote:Actually the dwarf somehow always end up being the jerk of the group...

Someone is running around opening all the doors - It's the dwarf
Someone finds a rare artifact and keeps it for himself even if another hero would really benefit from it - it's the dwarf
Someone is way behind searching for treasure while his friends are getting slaughtered - it's the dwarf

I freaking love playing the dwarf! :lol:


Awesome post!!! :lol:

This kind of mayhem is exactly what makes playing with < 10 year olds so much fun!!
Has resigned from the forum and would delete his account if he could.


Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Destroyed a Zombie! Smashed a massive Gargoyle!
whitebeard

Archmage
Archmage
 
Posts: 988
Images: 0
Joined: September 12th, 2014, 7:15 pm
Forum Language: English (United States)
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Re: Hello!

Postby cynthialee » August 1st, 2015, 11:14 am

go ahead....open allot of doors or stay behind to loot when your party moves on....I dare you to do it
you play at my table, you learn to stay with friends in tight formation and to not leave your back open...

But yeah it is the Dwarf Player who tends to do the dumb stuff for some reason. Regardless of who plays him. Often the issue with Dwarf at my table is greed and alcoholism.
So it is said that if you know your enemies and know yourself, you can win a hundred battles without a single loss.
If you only know yourself, but not your opponent, you may win or may lose.
If you know neither yourself nor your enemy, you will always endanger yourself.
~Sun Tsu The art of War~


Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic.
cynthialee

Swordsman
Swordsman
 
Posts: 1848
Images: 4
Joined: September 27th, 2011, 10:56 am
Location: the forests of Washington State
Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Re: Hello!

Postby The Admiral » August 1st, 2015, 4:21 pm

IvenBach wrote:
The Admiral wrote:Yes, the dwarf is a perfectly good character, it's just that it's strange how different characters take on a life of their own, even in a simple RPG like heroquest, and with my brother and I the dwarf just seems to end up being a pain in the butt, but we love him really.... :|

Did you just commit the cardinal sin of calling HQ an RPG? Just joking. Most of the members here will probably agree that HQ isn't an RPG but rather falls into the board game category.

Every group has things they like and each character will have its own niche in those groups. It's best when you can make full use of all the characters while making them all balanced.


I did qualify it with "Simple". You have a character, it has an extremely basic profile, but that does differ from other characters, plus a few unique qualities: trap disarming, spells, weapon restrictions. Your character improves over time, if it survives. It interacts with other characters around it while exploring an Evil wizard/dungeon master run quest. It couldn't get any more basic than that really, but it is, in my humble opinion, a RPG....incoming!


Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock! Encountered all eight (8) Game System monsters.
The Admiral

Halberdier
Halberdier
 
Posts: 1474
Joined: April 8th, 2015, 7:31 am
Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Re: Hello!

Postby cynthialee » August 1st, 2015, 5:19 pm

I call it an RPG-Lite, or D&D lite.
The potential to turn it into an RPG is so there and just waiting to be picked up and played with.

The HQ system is the most easy and basic 'RPG' system I have encountered and I like to use it as a segue to other table top games. The game teaches the basic dungeneering skills one will need to survive my hack and slash dungeons.
So it is said that if you know your enemies and know yourself, you can win a hundred battles without a single loss.
If you only know yourself, but not your opponent, you may win or may lose.
If you know neither yourself nor your enemy, you will always endanger yourself.
~Sun Tsu The art of War~


Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic.
cynthialee

Swordsman
Swordsman
 
Posts: 1848
Images: 4
Joined: September 27th, 2011, 10:56 am
Location: the forests of Washington State
Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Re: Hello!

Postby Decipher » August 1st, 2015, 9:45 pm

cynthialee wrote:I call it an RPG-Lite, or D&D lite.
The potential to turn it into an RPG is so there and just waiting to be picked up and played with.

The HQ system is the most easy and basic 'RPG' system I have encountered and I like to use it as a segue to other table top games. The game teaches the basic dungeneering skills one will need to survive my hack and slash dungeons.


I agree. I have implemented the combat system in HQ to many home brew games over the years because its that dang good. I knew back in 90 or whenever it was the first time I played HQ, this is something so different and in most cases, better. After growing up on the Frank Mentzer D&D rules, HQ was simply so different but still worked and I have been hooked since.


Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Created a Hot Topic. Participated in a Miniature Exchange. Slain a measly Goblin! Killed a mighty Fimir! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
User avatar
Decipher

Giant Wolf
Giant Wolf
 
Posts: 733
Images: 13
Joined: June 11th, 2013, 1:23 am
Location: Wytheville, VA
Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Re: Hello!

Postby Derpy_Hooves » August 1st, 2015, 9:47 pm

@Sjeng, Thanks. :P
I have another spawn sibling who's into HQ, but she doesn't have an account. I'd love to have her meet you guys. You all are really awesome.
I love learning new emojis too. ;3; I got most of them from this game/social media cite called ROBLOX. I don't suggest playing it though. It grew quite boring. ( ^3^ = Happy Derp. Chu were close. ;P )
Heey, that's what I do on the dust on my windows. Highfive man. ;3

@TheAdmiral, I'm sorry if I offended you any. You are certainly correct, the dwarf, and the other heros have flaws to account for.
And yes, I agree with you. HQ is an RPG and board game in my opinion.

@Goblin-King, Right on!

@Whitebeard, Lol.

@Cynthialee, Can't wait to play... >:D

AND.... Done. c: Tried to include everyone. :P
User avatar
Derpy_Hooves

Goblin
Goblin
 
Posts: 10
Joined: July 27th, 2015, 1:07 pm
Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon

PreviousNext

Return to Ye Olde Lobby

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest