• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

4. HQ25 - Story Arc discussion

Brainstorming topics for the HeroQuest 25th Anniversary Quest Pack.

Re: 4. HQ25 Story Arc discussion

Postby Count Mohawk » June 28th, 2014, 11:43 pm

MrBigB wrote:Done! I got a hold of HeroScribe when this project got started and have got play with it some since. Thankfully it's very straight forward :D Is there a way to import custom icons? I assumed we'd do something along those lines for the added races/tiles?

Well, the All-in-One pack has over 1,000 additional icons, so I would be very surprised if there weren't a few custom icons in there we like for the additional monsters. That said, if you have an icon of your own that you want to add, you need to have it in both vector and raster, add them to the correct folders in your HeroScribe directory, and then edit the Objects.xml file to add an entry for your custom icons.


Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Created a Hot Topic. Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle!
User avatar
Marquis of Math
Count Mohawk

Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior
 
Posts: 696
Joined: July 11th, 2013, 5:18 pm
Location: New England, USA
Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Re: 4. HQ25 Story Arc discussion

Postby Sjeng » June 29th, 2014, 3:34 am

oh, my Goddess that zargon meme is absolutely fantastic xD

and yes, HS has plenty of icons for kobolds, goblin archers, beastmen. We do need to try and use the same ones though. I'll see if I can post a map with the ones we should use. They should fit in with the classic monsters in my opinion.

edit: well, that turned out to be a bit of a challenge... No Kobolds in HS!!! So I used a lizardman warrior and a yuan-ti for the shaman... Not ideal, I know.
I'll describe from room to room:

Room 1: the 4 heroes and 4 henchmen should you use them.
Room 2: Chaos warrior, Chaos champion, Chaos sorcerer.
Beastman, Guard (chaos marauder/henchman perhaps), minotaur.
Gargoyle
Room 3: Kobold (lizardman warrior), Kobold Dragonpriest (yuan-ti) Maybe we could create better ones for these 2?
(Giant Dragon, but I think we agreed on not using actual dragons. But the icon is cool though :P)
Room 4: Goblin, Orc, Fimir
Goblin Archer, Orc Champion (black orc), Fimir Hag (Dirach)
Goblin Spearman, Orc Crossbowman/archer
Skeleton, Zombie, Mummy
Skeleton archer
Room 5: OPTIONAL!
The 4 Ogres from Ogre Horde (chaos enforcements?)
The 4 wizards from WoM
Giant Spider, Rat, Bat

There are NO chaos dwarves... We need an icon for that as well...

HQ25-monsters.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Check out my YouTube channel Boardgame Heaven, and drop me a sub please!


Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Wrote twenty (20) articles for the Blog in three (3) sections. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
User avatar
Official Spokesman
Sjeng
Ye Olde Orcish Bard

Wizard
Wizard
 
Posts: 4536
Images: 92
Joined: July 26th, 2011, 9:58 am
Location: The Netherlands
Forum Language: Nederlands
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member Scribes Group Member

Re: 4. HQ25 Story Arc discussion

Postby Goblin-King » June 29th, 2014, 6:40 am

Count Mohawk wrote:Well, the All-in-One pack has over 1,000 additional icons, so I would be very surprised if there weren't a few custom icons in there we like for the additional monsters. That said, if you have an icon of your own that you want to add, you need to have it in both vector and raster, add them to the correct folders in your HeroScribe directory, and then edit the Objects.xml file to add an entry for your custom icons.


I can definitely do some icons as normal rasters... Anyone have the knowhow to make vector out of that?


Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges.Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
User avatar
Ye Olde Judge Dredd
Goblin-King
Really looks like David Bowie

Frozen Horror
Frozen Horror
 
Posts: 3545
Images: 85
Joined: September 26th, 2011, 2:54 pm
Location: Sønderholm, Denmark
Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Re: 4. HQ25 Story Arc discussion

Postby Sjeng » June 29th, 2014, 9:12 am

GK: I think I know how to make vector images. PS has that option if I recall correctly. Just make yours big enough, so converting them results in smooth lines. Then you can resize them.

@Gold Bearer: although I like these ideas, and the alternative dice results too, I think it's too complex for our questbook. We're trying to keep it as simple as possible. We decided on which heroes to use, and the result was to stick with the original 4. We introduced new monsters, and from the many choices we decided on 3 factions with just a handful of new monsters each. If we throw in too much new stuff, the rules get too long to read, and people might forget while playing. I know I'd certainly forget any different dice rolls. Heck, I always forget the -2 movement penalty the first 2 rounds of play with the platemail, until someone reminds me.

But we could throw in the expanded armoury. That's basically just a reference sheet. And there's a deck with these items too so players could take the cards and not have to remember what it does. The axe is also a good idea. If others agree, I'm all for it.
Check out my YouTube channel Boardgame Heaven, and drop me a sub please!


Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Wrote twenty (20) articles for the Blog in three (3) sections. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
User avatar
Official Spokesman
Sjeng
Ye Olde Orcish Bard

Wizard
Wizard
 
Posts: 4536
Images: 92
Joined: July 26th, 2011, 9:58 am
Location: The Netherlands
Forum Language: Nederlands
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member Scribes Group Member

Re: 4. HQ25 Story Arc discussion

Postby Goblin-King » June 29th, 2014, 9:25 am

Gold Bearer, your post is enough new stuff for an entire expansion on it's own! :D
But to be honest I think this is all a bit too advanced. Especially with it all combined.
That's not to say the ideas isn't good, but personally I would like to stay more traditional.

To elaborate:
:redorb: The armory should stay the same. Any needed equipment can be done as Artifacts.

:redorb: Not a fan of hero extra skills either. IF we really need skills this should be done via artifacts. I'd also like to add that I don't think any artifact should be tailored to one specific hero. They should all be of some use for anybody. If an artifact allows for extra spells then you opened up a can of worms for magic barbarians. That's just the way it is.

:redorb: Battle wizard mercenaries are more advanced than the heroes! And we already have introduced a LOT of new models.

:redorb: Random events are too much house rule territory in my opinion.

:greenorb: A new spell deck is fine and in the tradition.

:greenorb: We can do spell scrolls as per tradition. if I recall correctly they were found as artifacts?


:2cents: saving up for that beer!


Sjeng wrote:GK: I think I know how to make raster images. PS has that option if I recall correctly. Just make yours big enough, so converting them results in smooth lines. Then you can resize them.

I don't know how to do VECTOR. I would just draw a logo and scan it and clean it up. BAM! Raster. But vector...?


Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges.Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
User avatar
Ye Olde Judge Dredd
Goblin-King
Really looks like David Bowie

Frozen Horror
Frozen Horror
 
Posts: 3545
Images: 85
Joined: September 26th, 2011, 2:54 pm
Location: Sønderholm, Denmark
Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Re: 4. HQ25 Story Arc discussion

Postby The Road Warrior » June 29th, 2014, 10:24 am

Goblin-King wrote:I don't know how to do VECTOR. I would just draw a logo and scan it and clean it up. BAM! Raster. But vector...?


If you follow drathes inkscape tutorial, stopping at step 9, you will have an .eps file. This is the same filetype that heroscribe uses ;)
Image
Join in the community project.


Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in five (5) Play-by-Post games. Created a Hot Topic. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered all eight (8) Game System monsters. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
User avatar
The Road Warrior

Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior
 
Posts: 639
Joined: November 20th, 2012, 5:02 pm
Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Re: 4. HQ25 Story Arc discussion

Postby Goblin-King » June 30th, 2014, 9:32 am

Hmm... I'll start out just making some normal images. Then perhaps someone more proficient in PS can turn them into vectors?

Should we just start writing our respective quests?
The plan is we write some quests, then when they are all done we tweak them to include an indication of a red thread? Is this understood correctly?

Any comments to my chapter before I start? Improvements to story? Right now it's 5 quests. Too long? Too short?
OH! and are we using EU or NA rules? Especially in regard to bodypoints!? Pretty important for quest balance!
Chapter 3
Q9-Q13: path 2: follow the chaos lead
Rumors whispers about something dark having taken residence in the long-abandoned Dark Castle (placeholder name ;)). Disaster if the forces of evil get a foothold in that area.
Go there, reveal any evil forces and eliminate them.

Q9. Travel through the ancient ruins to get to Dark Castle. Ambushed by beastmen and fight your way through.
Q10. Secret entrance to Dark Castle. STEALTH QUEST! Some mechanic where monsters can somehow call for assistance if not killed quickly. Exit is guarded by... Chaos Dwarfs! Dun dun duuun!
Q11. Now it's time to kill some chaos dwarfs and figure out what they are up to. Find chaos forge: They are preparing for war! Free several prisoners which reveal they were meant to be sacrificed.
(new printable: Prison cell door? Could be useful in a lot of quests, even outside this pack)
Q12. The sacrifices can only mean summoning of powerful evil magic. The chamber of sacrifice can only be entered by possessing two relics guarded by powerful chaos dwarf sorcerers. Get the relics and gain entrance to the final confrontation.
Q13. First half: the heroes are too late and a demon has been summoned. Kill it. Second half: Escape the castle as it begins to collapse! )


@ Sjeng. I think you should move the "new rules/equipment" discussion into it's own topic. It's not really story related and it will soon drown in this topic.


Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges.Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
User avatar
Ye Olde Judge Dredd
Goblin-King
Really looks like David Bowie

Frozen Horror
Frozen Horror
 
Posts: 3545
Images: 85
Joined: September 26th, 2011, 2:54 pm
Location: Sønderholm, Denmark
Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Re: 4. HQ25 Story Arc discussion

Postby Teldurn » June 30th, 2014, 9:35 am

Gold Bearer wrote:I've got an idea for the three basic crushing weapons as well. They make the target roll one less defence dice. That makes them different and it actually kind of makes sense. Armour would be much more usful against edged weapons than impact ones.

Does the "roll one less defense dice" become a condition that is placed on a monster after a successful hit the first time, or does it automagically happen because you're holding a crushing weapon?
War is not the answer...unless the question is, 'What is not the answer?'

Check out Broadsword, a love letter to 90s dungeon crawling board games.


Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic. Destroyed a Zombie!Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
User avatar
Teldurn

Giant Wolf
Giant Wolf
 
Posts: 787
Joined: October 18th, 2013, 5:22 pm
Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Re: 4. HQ25 Story Arc discussion

Postby Gold Bearer » June 30th, 2014, 10:20 am

Goblin-King wrote:@ Sjeng. I think you should move the "new rules/equipment" discussion into it's own topic. It's not really story related and it will soon drown in this topic.
I should have started a new thread. I thought I was just going to make one post. I should have known better. :roll:

Teldurn wrote:
Gold Bearer wrote:I've got an idea for the three basic crushing weapons as well. They make the target roll one less defence dice. That makes them different and it actually kind of makes sense. Armour would be much more usful against edged weapons than impact ones.
Does the "roll one less defense dice" become a condition that is placed on a monster after a successful hit the first time, or does it automagically happen because you're holding a crushing weapon?
It automatically happens because you're holding a crushing weapon.

Edit: Of course this could be expanded for three great versions of the weapons that are two handed and attack with an extra dice. I don't think these three should be in this, they could but it might be a bit much, this is mainly for people who want to include them in their own armouries.
:goblin: 1BP, :orc: 2BP, :fimir: 3BP, :skeleton: 1BP, :zombie: 2BP, :mummy: 3BP, :chaoswarrior: 4BP, :gargoyle: 5BP. US :chaoswarrior: 3BP, US :gargoyle: 4BP.

Upcast/Overcast/Combined Spells + New Combined Fusion Spells: viewtopic.php?f=38&t=7219

General Rules Including Element Effects & Dynamic Turn Order: viewtopic.php?f=38&t=7089


Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in five (5) Play-by-Post games. Created a Hot Topic. Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Destroyed a Zombie! Shattered a Skeleton! Unravelled a Mummy! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Gold Bearer

Exiled
Exiled
 
Posts: 1792
Joined: June 4th, 2012, 4:21 pm
Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Re: 4. HQ25 Story Arc discussion

Postby knightkrawler » June 30th, 2014, 10:53 am

Uhm. NA rules. No debate, please.
HQ - Heroes & Villains (Dropbox-download link) https://www.dropbox.com/sh/jgj0kzsys9w38oh/AAA_VEHx6vMv4HKRX7IiOWTFa?dl=0
Feedback http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=3560
Gallery http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=56&t=1972&hilit=knightkrawler+gallery&start=200
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I've found a way of paying off old debts:
Always make more promises than you can break.


Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
User avatar
Cheese Baron
knightkrawler
The Furry Blue Derailer

Witch Lord
Witch Lord
 
Posts: 5825
Images: 27
Joined: May 25th, 2012, 2:26 pm
Location: Regensburg, Germany
Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

PreviousNext

Return to HQ25th Brainstorming

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests