• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Best glue?

Tips and Tricks that don't quite fit into the above categories.

Re: Best glue?

Postby knightkrawler » November 16th, 2018, 5:10 am

Spookyhappyfun wrote:
knightkrawler wrote:First thing to know:
You don't glue resin with plastic glue. Importantly, within our hobby, resin is not plastic and vice versa,
whatever a professor in chemistry might try to explain to me.

How do you tell the difference between resin and plastic?

The feel, mostly. If you don't know the specifications from the manufacturer, resin tends to be very light, brittle in thicker places OR bendy in thinner places.
Get yourself just one mini or furniture piece from Zealot Miniatures (Thantos) and compare it (it's resin) with your HQ minis and others you might already own and are not sure of what material they are. That way, you'll get that basic feel pretty quick.
You can also try to glue a thicker connection point with plastic cement and see if it melts together. If it doesn't, it's resin, if it does, it's plastic.
Reaper's Bones material is neither of them, but PVC, which requires superglue. Same goes for those new WizKids minis.

Sanding is also an indicator, but not a very reliable one. Resin requires a breathing mask of some sort because the sanded material is so light it stays in the air for longer and fraggles up your sinuses. Plastic flakes should be heavier and fall more straightdownward.

I hope this helps, but I'm sure others can come up with more points. It's all I can do at this ungodly hour. |_P
HQ - Heroes & Villains (Dropbox-download link) https://www.dropbox.com/sh/jgj0kzsys9w38oh/AAA_VEHx6vMv4HKRX7IiOWTFa?dl=0
Feedback http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=3560
Gallery http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=56&t=1972&hilit=knightkrawler+gallery&start=200
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I've found a way of paying off old debts:
Always make more promises than you can break.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Cheese Baron
knightkrawler
The Furry Blue Derailer

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Postby Spookyhappyfun » November 16th, 2018, 9:32 am

Thanks! I'll have to spend some more time looking at my minis, I guess. I get a lot of stuff from all over, so I'm never totally sure, but for most of it I try to stick to the old GW/Talisman figures which, I guess, are plastic.

Are Zealot's rectangular bases always resin? Mostly I'm just gluing minis to bases so I guess that if the bases are all resin instead of plastic, it really shouldn't matter what the minis themselves are made of, superglue is the way to go over plastic glue.

Rewards:
Killed a mighty Fimir! Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Spookyhappyfun

Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby benvoliothefirst » November 16th, 2018, 10:04 am

As someone who buys a lot off stuff off eBay and kickstarter, it's easy to lose track of what's what. Do what I do and start keeping your bits box separated by resin/plastic/other and as you add to it you don't need to worry about fondling every piece and trying to guess what it's made of.
wickedmetal.blogspot.com <--I paint HeroQuest!
My players' monthly game results
Mods I Use:
Base Quests in four difficulty steps by Anderas
Random Events by Jacob Busby (pg.5)
Karlen's Circlet by AerynB/drathe/sajungzak
Heartfelt thanks to all of you who have worked to enrich the world of HeroQuest!
Goblin-King wrote:When life gives you lemons, squeeze those lemons into your eyes, enter a berserker rage and punch life in the face!

Rewards:
Participated in a Miniature Exchange. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
benvoliothefirst

Necromancer
Necromancer

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby knightkrawler » November 16th, 2018, 11:56 am

Spookyhappyfun wrote:Thanks! I'll have to spend some more time looking at my minis, I guess. I get a lot of stuff from all over, so I'm never totally sure, but for most of it I try to stick to the old GW/Talisman figures which, I guess, are plastic.

Are Zealot's rectangular bases always resin? Mostly I'm just gluing minis to bases so I guess that if the bases are all resin instead of plastic, it really shouldn't matter what the minis themselves are made of, superglue is the way to go over plastic glue.

all your assumptions are correct, yes. |_P
HQ - Heroes & Villains (Dropbox-download link) https://www.dropbox.com/sh/jgj0kzsys9w38oh/AAA_VEHx6vMv4HKRX7IiOWTFa?dl=0
Feedback http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=3560
Gallery http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=56&t=1972&hilit=knightkrawler+gallery&start=200
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I've found a way of paying off old debts:
Always make more promises than you can break.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Cheese Baron
knightkrawler
The Furry Blue Derailer

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby Anderas » November 16th, 2018, 12:10 pm

The "next" set he provides will likely be made of plastic, or so he said during this year's kickstarter. The ones you could buy up to now are resin.

Rewards:
Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Anderas
NOT Andreas!

Polar Warbear
Polar Warbear

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member
Champion Group Member

Postby Thantos » November 19th, 2018, 8:01 am

Yea that's the plan. We will have HIPS plastic ones coming in a couple of months, then you can use plastic glue for gluing to them to your plastic minis :D
http://www.zealotminiatures.com
Models. Plastic Injection. Resin Casting. High Res 3D Printing . Macro 3D Scanning .

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic. Participated in two (2) Miniature Exchanges.
Thantos

Giant Wolf
Giant Wolf

Hero:
Usergroups:
Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby benvoliothefirst » November 19th, 2018, 10:42 am

That's wonderful, Thantos. So many of us got our start in the hobby through HeroQuest or Battle Masters, to us plastic will likely always be "THE" hobby material of choice.
wickedmetal.blogspot.com <--I paint HeroQuest!
My players' monthly game results
Mods I Use:
Base Quests in four difficulty steps by Anderas
Random Events by Jacob Busby (pg.5)
Karlen's Circlet by AerynB/drathe/sajungzak
Heartfelt thanks to all of you who have worked to enrich the world of HeroQuest!
Goblin-King wrote:When life gives you lemons, squeeze those lemons into your eyes, enter a berserker rage and punch life in the face!

Rewards:
Participated in a Miniature Exchange. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
benvoliothefirst

Necromancer
Necromancer

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Thantos » November 20th, 2018, 11:17 am

Wars have been started over trying to decide what the hobby material of choice is ;)

Will perhaps be moving a few more bits into plastic later on also. The HQ style doors for starters. Things which people want a lot of, cheaply :)
http://www.zealotminiatures.com
Models. Plastic Injection. Resin Casting. High Res 3D Printing . Macro 3D Scanning .

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic. Participated in two (2) Miniature Exchanges.
Thantos

Giant Wolf
Giant Wolf

Hero:
Usergroups:
Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby j_dean80 » November 20th, 2018, 11:21 am

Thantos wrote:Things which people want a lot of, cheaply :)

...like bases
Blood - Good to the last drop

Ye Olde Inn Quest Design Competition 2024 Joint Winner

Rewards:
Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Participated in two (2) Miniature Exchanges. Grin's Stone Map Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
j_dean80

Ice Gremlin
Ice Gremlin

Hero:
Usergroups:
Scribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberArtists Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby Spookyhappyfun » November 20th, 2018, 11:29 am

I've been focusing on minis and Zealot bases for them for a couple years now. I'm almost done with those and will probably be moving on to furniture and those fancy doors next.

Rewards:
Killed a mighty Fimir! Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Spookyhappyfun

Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

PreviousNext

Return to Other Hobby Tips