Page 1 of 1

Ral Partha Goes to KS... (Again?)

PostPosted: April 21st, 2016, 6:01 pm
by QorDaq
Wow, some classic Ral Partha minis are going back into production through KS. And some new stuff too.

Ral Partha was one of my all-time favorite mini companies for years (and many years ago), when I was still painting and playing regularly. They always had awesome lines and just seemed to stand out against the competition back "In the Day".

Anyway, if anyone is curious, the link is HERE.

I'd be curious to hear what others feel about Ral Partha (old or new)...

maj!

Re: Ral Partha Goes to KS... (Again?)

PostPosted: April 21st, 2016, 7:38 pm
by whitebeard
Yeah, I used to love these. I dug mine out when I started playing Dungeon! and then HeroQuest with my son several years ago now. He thought they were fantastic!

But the scale is wrong for HQ and there is just no going back for me. If I recall they are 25mm and the same scale as the Descent minis which I have seen.

Re: Ral Partha Goes to KS... (Again?)

PostPosted: April 21st, 2016, 9:45 pm
by QorDaq
whitebeard wrote:Yeah, I used to love these. I dug mine out when I started playing Dungeon! and then HeroQuest with my son several years ago now. He thought they were fantastic!

But the scale is wrong for HQ and there is just no going back for me. If I recall they are 25mm and the same scale as the Descent minis which I have seen.


Yeah, assuming that these are truly reprints from the old casts they are definitely not heroic scale pieces. Which, again going back not just a few years but a few decades, was one of the things I loved about them. Of course miniatures have evolved a lot, as have the standards in scale, in the interim. One of their solid competitors of yore was Grenadier, and in comparison I always liked how much more "Realistic" the Ral Partha stuff tended to be... Cleaner, better scaled, etc...

These days I don't paint, and I don't collect metal any more, but it took a long time for me to make the switch to larger plastic minis. Regardless, when I saw this KS go up there was a bit of nostalgia for me. Kind of like when Judges Guild recently made some of their archival material available via KS.

Re: Ral Partha Goes to KS... (Again?)

PostPosted: April 22nd, 2016, 12:21 am
by lucasdp
I like Ral Partha minis! I've picked up a few for proxies and NPCs here and there. I think y'all are right that they're 25mm; they do look a little small on the HeroQuest board. But I love that vintage style. Sometimes I'd rather have a vintage proxy that's a little too small than a modern proxy that's a little too big...
I'm watching this KS and I might end up backing if I can narrow down which ones I "gotta have." That "one zombie from each race" set is pretty tempting...

Re: Ral Partha Goes to KS... (Again?)

PostPosted: April 22nd, 2016, 9:33 am
by cornixt
Oooh, skeletal centaurs. So much good stuff

Re: Ral Partha Goes to KS... (Again?)

PostPosted: April 27th, 2016, 10:57 pm
by lucasdp
Miniatures aside, has anyone played the "Chaos Wars" game that RP is attaching to this KS? Just curious...

Re: Ral Partha Goes to KS... (Again?)

PostPosted: April 28th, 2016, 3:02 pm
by QorDaq
lucasdp wrote:Miniatures aside, has anyone played the "Chaos Wars" game that RP is attaching to this KS? Just curious...


Nope, and in fact I had not heard of it until the KS went up. I am way out of the loop on metal minis in general, as well as games that rely upon them.

Re: Ral Partha Goes to KS... (Again?)

PostPosted: May 11th, 2016, 4:57 pm
by lucasdp
Interesting update on this project, I thought might be applicable to some of us here:
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/10 ... ts/1571401

It seems they realized lots of folks use these minis for things other than the war game they've associated with this KS, so they're offering some new/different assortments; two adventurer packs (collection of heroes and NPCs) and what they're calling "Role-playing packs" that will feature just a few individual sculpts of each race/class, rather than doubling up on all the sculpts to build an entire army.

Also, the next stretch goal is a re-release of the "classic" Ral Partha game, The Witch's Cauldron. Anyone ever play this back in the day?

Re: Ral Partha Goes to KS... (Again?)

PostPosted: May 11th, 2016, 6:46 pm
by QorDaq
Never heard of Witch's Cauldron no. Which is funny because it appears to be yet another very early model for a Crawler from what I've read. It's interesting to note just how many older proto-crawler games were made that I never knew about... Heh.