Page 1 of 4

Various projects on Kickstarter

PostPosted: February 28th, 2016, 3:17 pm
by lucasdp
I thought it might be nice to have a thread like this, similar to our "Various lots on Ebay", so that we don't need to create a new one for each KS we think the Inn might be interested in. (Although, I'm sure there will be some that deserve their own thread from time to time!)

Anyway, here are some that I'm currently backing or considering, or thought others here might like:

Argo - https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/fl ... games/argo
I'm backing this one. Looks like a quick, light, tile-laying survival crawler with a unique back-stabbing mechanic. Also the price tag is right, at only 30 Euros. 4 days left!

Battlestations (Second Edition) - https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/go ... ard-game-r
I haven't backed this one yet but, oh, my Goddess, I am so freaking tempted! Did anyone here play the first edition back in the day? Also 4 days left!

Lands of Ruin - https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/la ... -it-should
I'm not backing this one; I kinda like the post-apocalyptic theme, but I'm not big on skirmish games. What I really like, though, is the app to keep track of all the character and gameplay stats. Seems like that could speed things up a bit. About $300 away from being funded, and 10 days left.

Darklight: Memento Mori - https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/53 ... on-crawler
Nice classic-looking dungeon crawler here. Some decent tiles and minis that might be great for HQ, but I haven't verified if they're the right scale yet. Hasn't been funded yet, but I'm sure it will with 28 days left.

See, you guys didn't want/need me to start four threads, right? ;)

Re: Various projects on Kickstarter

PostPosted: February 28th, 2016, 4:01 pm
by QorDaq
Darklight is being discussed in another thread (or a few comments have been exchanged anyway)... As to the scale; the Devs for Darklight (DL?) are saying that it is close to Kingdom's Death (35mm)... For the miniatures anyway. So I am guessing that the tiles will be "Oversized" compared with the 25mm standard so common with board games. The original WHQ had 30mm squares for their tiles as I recall, and the design scheme for these is VERY similar... To the point that I'd be surprised if they were not being printed deliberately to work with the old WHQ tiles... We'll see.

As to the question of making a consolidated thread for any topic, I feel there are pros and cons to both. The obvious pro being that the board does not fill up with random threads (possibly multiple for certain topics)... The downside is that it can be tough to find a specific detail in a popular thread... In the case of game discussions I can see there being some difficulty in keeping a given discussion alive and running if people are talking about lots of different projects at once. I can also see a challenge in terms of keeping either an OP updated with new projects (requires a person devoted for the long haul), or games will get buried as ongoing discussions push new topics off the radar possibly before they are noticed.

Not saying this can't work just offering my perspective on the broader implications.

maj!

Re: Various projects on Kickstarter

PostPosted: February 28th, 2016, 4:36 pm
by lucasdp
Good point, QorDaq. I guess I was proposing this could be a place to share projects quickly when you don't really feel the need to discuss them further. Obviously, if you really want to talk about a certain project and you expect some good conversation, start a new thread! But it might be nice to have a place to say, "Hey, check this out!" and just leave it a that.

For example, in my original post, I genuinely just wanted to share Argo, LoR, and DL, with no real intention of discussing them much further. (Although, thanks for clearing up the scale question immediately!)
On the other hand, I did kind of have a question regarding Battlestations, and I would like to chat if anyone has played the first edition, so maybe I should have started a thread for that one...?

Re: Various projects on Kickstarter

PostPosted: February 28th, 2016, 5:02 pm
by QorDaq
Battle Stations looked interesting in concept. I like, for example, the idea of having things going on in space at the same time as things are happening within the spaceships themselves. This makes it feel more like an episode of a Sci-Fi TV series or something.

I was (and am I suppose), a bit dubious as to how well that can be pulled off without hopelessly bogging the game down... Especially since there are boarding actions and things included as well. Definitely a "Big" idea in this game. I never played the first edition, so I am not really sure what's new here either besides updated components of course.

maj!

Re: Various projects on Kickstarter

PostPosted: February 28th, 2016, 7:55 pm
by Redav
I'd already started one for gaming gear;

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=2731

Re: Various projects on Kickstarter

PostPosted: February 28th, 2016, 9:41 pm
by IvenBach
Darklight was the only one that I fancied. Mind you I didn't watch any of the videos. Sarcasm: They should have changed the name of the $200K stretch goal for the Balltestations mini to be Mother-In-Loid /Sarcasm

Re: Various projects on Kickstarter

PostPosted: February 29th, 2016, 3:28 am
by Anderas
That Battlestation game reminds me of a Star Trek Game i knew. You had a audio cassette to play next to the game that was mostly quiet. You wanted to fulfill certain tasks on the Board, but sometimes the cassette would give you a task: "Hey, you , the one that has his turn now. Go to the machine room and repair the warp core!". Then you had to do that before you could go back doing your "real" task. :D As you stopped the cassette in the end of the game and continued it next time you played, it was always different. :D And totally random. Everybody wanted to play as fast as possible so to avoid receiving a task from the cassette. :D :D

Re: Various projects on Kickstarter

PostPosted: March 24th, 2016, 2:37 pm
by cornixt
This game is, er, interesting...

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/52 ... genesis-of

I think there may be a kitchen sink in there somewhere.

Re: Various projects on Kickstarter

PostPosted: March 24th, 2016, 7:47 pm
by QorDaq
cornixt wrote:This game is, er, interesting...

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/52 ... genesis-of

I think there may be a kitchen sink in there somewhere.


Yeah hard to decide if it's epic or overwhelming. One thing is sure though, this is definitely the dudes passion, and I hope he gets it made.

maj!

Re: Various projects on Kickstarter

PostPosted: March 24th, 2016, 8:53 pm
by whitebeard
Overwhelming for sure. I like to think we are already there with HQ and expansions, and virtually no need to look at a rule book! But i do like that "challenge card" for the crypt decent with the green ooze covered stairs!