Page 1 of 2

Kick Starter Novelty Dice... Beautiful

PostPosted: January 12th, 2016, 10:03 pm
by QorDaq
Greetings all,

Just noticed this KS Project currently running. It's a somewhat pricey, thus novelty effort, but the assortment of possible dice are pretty nice looking... AND, if you look closely at the bottom of the samples of currently available designs, you will see that HQ-styled D6 are one of the choices.

Again, this is kind of expensive, totally unnecessary, and really beautiful in my opinion... In fact the HQ is really just a bonus, as there are some other very nice looking polyhedrals available as well... So, for those that just might be into spending a lot of cash for a sweet-looking novelty... Well, this might be of interest.

maj!

Re: Kick Starter Novelty Dice... Beautiful

PostPosted: January 13th, 2016, 4:50 am
by Goblin-King
I might be asking a stupid question here, but why on earth would you ever want dice made of solid metal?
Sure it might be novelty dice, but they seem horrible to actually use.


Now a woolly mammoth tusk D20... THAT'S what I call a novelty die!
http://www.artisandice.com/order/mammoth-ivory-d20s/

Am I a bad person for wanting one?

Re: Kick Starter Novelty Dice... Beautiful

PostPosted: January 13th, 2016, 6:04 am
by Tott
because they look good?
they do look good. not good enough to spend that much money on though...

Re: Kick Starter Novelty Dice... Beautiful

PostPosted: January 15th, 2016, 12:07 pm
by QorDaq
I think novelty dice are, at their core, meant to do two things, 1) offer a "Wow" factor when people see them, and 2) provide satisfaction for those people who like to collect dice. Or that's my take anyway.

Years ago, my local Klingon fanclub (yeah, it's a thing...*Chuckle*...), hosted a very fun event that was 1 part LARP, and 1 part mini-convention. Basically, we rented space in a local hotel, decorated it it up, and did a combination of laser-tag, hands on puzzles, RPG, and tactical gaming over the course of a long weekend. It was a team-oriented event where we invited chapters from other Klingon fanclubs to come and compete.

Anyway, I designed most of the event (We actually did it a couple of times), around telling a larger story that unfolded over the course of the weekend, and the progress each team made during a given portion was all scored and tallied at the end to identify the winners. As mentioned, some of the events were hands on puzzle-solving and the like, and some were tactical war games. For those, to add to the "Klingon" feel of things, I bought several sets of the the Dwarven Metal dice from Crystal Caste, including a bunch of the "Giant" D20s. And they were a serious hit at the tables. People loved picking up these really heavy dice and chucking them onto the table (we had dice trays to catch them)... In short, it really added to the experience in a way that plastic polyhedrals would not have. Were they necessary? Nope. Did they cost way too much money? Yep. But they served their purpose spectacularly.

Not saying that anyone, ever, NEEDS to buy metal dice, just saying that for those who enjoy unusual options, they can be pretty cool.

maj!

Post Script - And, yeah those D20s made from Mammoth dice are pretty cool... Kind of like a Mammoth steak right; destroying history to say you did it...*Grin*... Though in this case the dice could well help preserve it really.

- Q

Re: Kick Starter Novelty Dice... Beautiful

PostPosted: January 17th, 2016, 2:00 pm
by StratosVX
Goblin-King wrote:Now a woolly mammoth tusk D20... THAT'S what I call a novelty die!
http://www.artisandice.com/order/mammoth-ivory-d20s/

Am I a bad person for wanting one?

The mammoths were hunted to extinction because of people like you and your dice!!!
:lol:

Cast Metal HeroQuest Dice KS

PostPosted: January 21st, 2016, 4:01 pm
by Teldurn
[This and the following two posts were moved from Board index ‹ Ye Olde Inn ‹ Ye Olde Pub on 2/27/17. -edit]

This kickstarter has been going for 10 days and I did a quick search and didn't find anyone here talking about it.

Yes, it's got a bunch of other dice too, but I noticed the HQ dice in the line up that you can pick. Sweet!

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/83 ... aming-dice

Re: Cast Metal HeroQuest Dice KS

PostPosted: January 21st, 2016, 5:18 pm
by Jackyboy
ooo they do look lovely! All the dice look great! But....sadly it is a little too pricey for me to purchase. $84 for six dice! Damn! I would love to have a set.... but again just a little too expensive

Re: Cast Metal HeroQuest Dice KS

PostPosted: January 23rd, 2016, 10:40 am
by QorDaq
Yeah, we are already discussing these over here: Clicky-Clicky

maj!

Re: Kick Starter Novelty Dice... Beautiful

PostPosted: February 4th, 2016, 2:26 pm
by lucasdp
I keep checking this Kickstarter every couple of days and I would really like a set of these dice, but I just don't think I can bring myself to spend that much $$$ on them. It would be nice if they gave you a price break at a certain number of dice, at least. :roll:

I could spend much less on eBay and just stockpile extras of the original wooden dice. :lol:

Re: Kick Starter Novelty Dice... Beautiful

PostPosted: February 5th, 2016, 4:30 pm
by QorDaq
No doubt Lucas, they are neither cheap nor necessary... I can't bring myself to make the purchase either. Chances are I'll talk about them for a long time though because while metal dice are not that uncommon these days, these are the first HQ dice I have seen in metal... It's just such an oddball and obscure thing to include. But no, not a responsible purchase--for me at least.

maj!