• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

D&D books

Guests may gather here to barter their goods, let others know what items they are searching for and post links to items others may be interested in. Or just vent about the outrageous prices on eBay.
Forum rules
Ye Olde Inn is not responsible for the trades/purchases made in this forum. Please exchange private information and transaction details via PM.

D&D books

Postby torilen » November 9th, 2013, 4:03 pm

Again, I know this is not HQ, but I thought I'd give you guys here first dibs on anything.

I have some D&D books I'm going to sell. I'll list prices below, though it will be +shipping, which I
will have to get to the post office to find out how much that will be.

3.5 Dragon Compendium Vol 1 - $5.00
3.5 Fiendish Codex 1: Hordes of the Abyss - $5.00
3.5 Fiendish Codex 2: Tyrants of the Nine Hells - $5.00
3.5 Players Handbook 2 - $5.00
3.5 Monster Manual 4 - $5.00
3.5 Monster Manual 5 - $5.00
World of Warcraft Horde Player's Guide (3.0 ed.) - $5.00
AD&D Complete Fighter's Guide - $2.00

All are in Like-New or near Like-New condition, except the Complete Fighter's Guide...
Very good condition for that one.


Rewards:
Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Wrote an article for the Blog. Created a Hot Topic.
torilen

Ice Gremlin
Ice Gremlin
 
Posts: 2081
Joined: October 9th, 2009, 4:18 am
Location: Virginia, USA
Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member Scribes Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Re: D&D books

Postby IvenBach » November 10th, 2013, 3:21 am

Please don't tell us you are going to 4th edition...


Rewards:
Wrote an article for the Blog. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in two (2) Miniature Exchanges. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
User avatar
IvenBach
The NEEEEEEEEEEEERD!!!

Halberdier
Halberdier
 
Posts: 1308
Images: 4
Joined: November 30th, 2012, 7:26 am
Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member Scribes Group Member

Re: D&D books

Postby torilen » November 10th, 2013, 5:07 pm

No - definitely not. The only reason I have any 3rd or 3.5 is because that's what it was when I got into D&D.
I keep those mainly just for ideas and such, since all the people I know who play went to 4th ed.

If I ever get a group together to play, it'll either be for HQ, or if they want to play D&D I'll try to
push them toward basic. I've tried AD&D and that just has too much going on for me. I get the AD&D
stuff, again, for ideas and tricks and such, or just for collecting purposes, like with greyhawk
materials.
I like basic the best, though. Nice and simple, leaves a lot to the players to work out on their own
as a group, and the writers for the basic games and accessories seem to be better to me.


Rewards:
Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Wrote an article for the Blog. Created a Hot Topic.
torilen

Ice Gremlin
Ice Gremlin
 
Posts: 2081
Joined: October 9th, 2009, 4:18 am
Location: Virginia, USA
Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member Scribes Group Member

Re: D&D books

Postby Daedalus » November 14th, 2013, 5:05 pm

I used to have fun playing basic, then a smattering of expert D&D. (My group always wanted to play AD&D, so lots of headaches there--I was quite the rules lawyer.) My favorite BE module was Blade of Vengeance, a one-off solo for a 7th-level Elf. Done right by a Brit--anybody who played it loved it.

Previous to that, I even made a 27 page(?) solo Basic adventure for a 0-2 level Fighter (house rule, -50 or -250? XP start with some penalties that lifted at 0 XP). Six or seven play throughs, everybody managed to survive, loads of fun.

I'm hoping D&D Next core rules will play like BE. If so, I just might pick up a book or three. Hopefully there will be some cool modules forthcoming to rival the old feel. If that works, maybe I'll try some of the optional upgrade books and go full swing D&D again...NAHHH!

Just had a thought--are you interested in 3.0-3.5 Dragon Magazines? I inherited a collection of maybe 50 issues from a friend who moved. Being you're the forum's D&D aficionado, I'd pass them on to ya at cost. That would be free. The problem is the cost of shipping that you'd pay--I'm in Taiwan.
..
UNCLE ZARGON
Image
WANTS.. YOU


Rewards:
Wizard of Zargon Group Member Grin's Stone Map Played a turn in five (5) Play-by-Post games. Created a Hot Topic. Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy!Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered all eight (8) Game System monsters. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
User avatar
Editor-in-Chief
Daedalus
Dread Ruleslawyer

Wizard
Wizard
 
Posts: 5328
Images: 14
Joined: May 9th, 2011, 2:31 pm
Forum Language: English (United States)
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group MemberScribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberArtists Group MemberChampion Group Member

Re: D&D books

Postby IvenBach » November 14th, 2013, 6:13 pm

When everyone refers to AD&D I myself think of 2nd edition. By extension would you consider Basic D&D to mean 1st generation white/red box? I'm not trying to open up a slugfest of opinions but do you like 2E (AD&D) more than 3/3.5E let alone 1E? I just found the jump from 2E to 3E to be a big relief in so many ways. I started with second and always felt it was so restrictive but 3E (with houseruled exceptions) was a lot better, for me at least.

Daedalus wrote:I was quite the rules lawyer.

I'm going to have to converse with you at large about this subject Daedalus. I was the gaming encyclopedia for my group because I'd pull the most obscure rules into play just to gain that sliver of an advantage. Sadly most of the time the answer I got was "No" only because I wanted to do it.


Rewards:
Wrote an article for the Blog. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in two (2) Miniature Exchanges. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
User avatar
IvenBach
The NEEEEEEEEEEEERD!!!

Halberdier
Halberdier
 
Posts: 1308
Images: 4
Joined: November 30th, 2012, 7:26 am
Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member Scribes Group Member

Re: D&D books

Postby chaoticprime » November 14th, 2013, 7:10 pm

I hate 3.0, 3.5, 4.0 and Pathfinder.


Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic. Participated in a Miniature Exchange. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer
User avatar
chaoticprime
Practically Lives Here

Swordsman
Swordsman
 
Posts: 1939
Images: 0
Joined: February 10th, 2013, 3:38 am
Location: Kansas City
Forum Language: English (United States)
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Re: D&D books

Postby Decipher » November 28th, 2013, 1:18 am

We rock the old 1982 Frank Mentzer here at my dungeon. Played the 3.0 crap once and it took only once for me to know it sucked.

Image


Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Created a Hot Topic. Participated in a Miniature Exchange. Slain a measly Goblin! Killed a mighty Fimir! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
User avatar
Decipher

Giant Wolf
Giant Wolf
 
Posts: 733
Images: 13
Joined: June 11th, 2013, 1:23 am
Location: Wytheville, VA
Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Re: D&D books

Postby torilen » November 29th, 2013, 4:06 pm

As for basic D&D, I go with those that decipher posted in his picture - the frank mentzer materials.
I know very little about AD&D, except it is WAY too complicated - I know there are some difference
between 1st and 2nd ed., but I couldn't tell you what they are, really.

I like 3.0/3.5 okay enough - that's what I started playing on. I like the frank mentzer D&D the most, though.
Well, whatever is found in the Rules Cyclopedia, that is. That's what I use the most.


Rewards:
Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Wrote an article for the Blog. Created a Hot Topic.
torilen

Ice Gremlin
Ice Gremlin
 
Posts: 2081
Joined: October 9th, 2009, 4:18 am
Location: Virginia, USA
Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member Scribes Group Member

Re: D&D books

Postby chaoticprime » November 29th, 2013, 4:32 pm

AD&D complicated? No way. Everything has its own sub-set of rules. There's no clumsy universal mechanic--basically, its designed so that you only use what you need, when you need it.

I played AD&D for a decade, and then 3.0/3.5/PF for a decade, and I wish I could take the latter back. I freakin' hate the d20 system.

The Rules Cyclopedia, by the way, is tits. I love that.


Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic. Participated in a Miniature Exchange. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer
User avatar
chaoticprime
Practically Lives Here

Swordsman
Swordsman
 
Posts: 1939
Images: 0
Joined: February 10th, 2013, 3:38 am
Location: Kansas City
Forum Language: English (United States)
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Re: D&D books

Postby Sjeng » November 29th, 2013, 6:07 pm

Decipher, why do you have 2 of each?
Check out my YouTube channel Boardgame Heaven, and drop me a sub please!


Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Wrote twenty (20) articles for the Blog in three (3) sections. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
User avatar
Official Spokesman
Sjeng
Ye Olde Orcish Bard

Wizard
Wizard
 
Posts: 4536
Images: 92
Joined: July 26th, 2011, 9:58 am
Location: The Netherlands
Forum Language: Nederlands
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member Scribes Group Member

Next

Return to Ye Olde Market

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest