Page 1 of 1

My HQ21 icon pack for HeroScribe

PostPosted: March 18th, 2022, 5:52 am
by banjo_oz
I posted about this awhile back on Reddit and got some nice feedback there, but figured here was a good place to post too in case anyone wanted it.

I've converted the official HQ21 icons into HeroScribe format and uploaded my work here:

https://banjogames.wordpress.com/2022/0 ... ribe-v1-0/

This pack includes the Core and Kellar's Keep icons and will be kept up to date with other expansions as their icons become available. I plan to add a EU/US "old style" Abomination at some point, too.

I know a few others have attempted the same thing, but figured it was worth making my version available here since it took a fair bit of work and I'd like to think it helps some folks who use HeroScribe make maps. I also wanted to add the new-look board too but HeroScribe is very hard to render boards of uneven square size with.

(the download link was tested with Pale Moon and Chrome, both using uBlock Origin, let me know if you have issues as one user reported they had difficulty downloading)

EDIT: now contains Return of the Witch Lord icons too!

Re: My HQ21 icon pack for HeroScribe

PostPosted: March 20th, 2022, 12:42 am
by Maalicia_Ironhoof
you champion! I was looking into how to do this myself (getting the vector icons has not been a problem), so you saved me some work!

however on loading in the new assets to a bare install if HeroScribe I can't see the new icons available anywhere. The Region menu only shows "Europe Layout" & "USA Layout".

any suggestions?

Re: My HQ21 icon pack for HeroScribe

PostPosted: March 22nd, 2022, 10:44 am
by banjo_oz
My pleasure! Yup, making these into HeroScribe icons was the hard work... it's not exactly a user-friendly process!

Unless someone knows a way to hack HeroScribe to allow a third "layout", the only way I did it was to cheat and add the new HQ21 icons as their own category that look the same in EU or US layout.

So, if you install my new icons in a bare install of HS, you *should* have new categories in Add Object labeled "whatever - HQ21" (for example, "Monsters - HQ21") as well as the default ones. Use these and keep layout set to US and it should display the new icons.

Let me know if you are still having trouble.

NOTE: As mentioned in the first post, the one major problem I hit is not being able to recreate the HQ21 style map/board because it uses irregular "jagged" squares that I have no idea how to make HeroScribe render. Sadly, HS doesn't use any sort of normal graphic for the map/board but rather a text file that draws it out, so even though my pack includes a vector version of the correct board, I have no way to make it useable in HS at the moment. Still trying to solve this, though...

Re: My HQ21 icon pack for HeroScribe

PostPosted: March 22nd, 2022, 11:09 am
by Kurgan
It's pure aesthetics for those who want to create custom content that looks like it "matches" the Remake style. Then again the new icons used in Joe's quest pack would require new icons (for the limited number of us who actually have the Mythic tier).

Re: My HQ21 icon pack for HeroScribe

PostPosted: March 22nd, 2022, 11:12 am
by Kurgan
by the way, I am using Firefox and I am getting the same need to repair your download link error (and annoying popups) even when I turn off my pop-up blocker. Can't get it from MediaFire! :(

Re: My HQ21 icon pack for HeroScribe

PostPosted: March 22nd, 2022, 5:03 pm
by banjo_oz
Try the second link on my blog now (hopefully lets you download via Dropbox instead of Mediafire).
https://banjogames.wordpress.com/2022/02/03/heroquest-2021-icon-pack-for-heroscribe-v1-0/

Incidentally, I use NoScript, which tends to stop most annoying popups on most sites so apologies that I never noticed them myself!

Kurgan, I definitely intend to add the Mythic (and Witch Lord expansion) new icons when possible, too. I have one for the dragon but I would rather a proper official vector one (may end up vectorizing the one I have for now, though if the Mythic quests never get a PDF release).

Re: My HQ21 icon pack for HeroScribe

PostPosted: March 23rd, 2022, 2:24 am
by Maalicia_Ironhoof
banjo_oz wrote:My pleasure! Yup, making these into HeroScribe icons was the hard work... it's not exactly a user-friendly process!
So, if you install my new icons in a bare install of HS, you *should* have new categories in Add Object labeled "whatever - HQ21" (for example, "Monsters - HQ21") as well as the default ones. Use these and keep layout set to US and it should display the new icons.

Let me know if you are still having trouble.


Weird, I cant get them to display as a category either (and i used a fresh install too)


banjo_oz wrote:Kurgan, I definitely intend to add the Mythic (and Witch Lord expansion) new icons when possible, too. I have one for the dragon but I would rather a proper official vector one (may end up vectorizing the one I have for now, though if the Mythic quests never get a PDF release).


When my mytic set arrives in the next few days, I'm more than happy to scan and vectorise any Icons required

Re: My HQ21 icon pack for HeroScribe

PostPosted: March 27th, 2022, 11:34 am
by banjo_oz
Thanks, Cyber333! I think the dragon icons and trap icons from the same quest will be the only ones unlikely to get official pdf releases (still hoping we get Return of the Witch Lord as a PDF soon from Hasbro so we don't need to remake those icons at least).

Are you using the All In One version of HeroScribe or the regular basic one? I really want to make sure they work for you (and others)! Do you have the HQ21 icons for monsters mixed into your regular "Monsters" category at least? There are two versions included in the pack that should show up when installed: a new category with "Monsters - HQ21" and recoloured versions of those icons in the existing "Monsters" category too.

Re: My HQ21 icon pack for HeroScribe

PostPosted: August 31st, 2025, 12:38 pm
by leo
Is there an updated icons pack that includes all of the expansion up to and including Crypt of perpetual darkness?