Page 1 of 3

New HQ Equipment Cards

PostPosted: June 19th, 2020, 9:00 pm
by arntisdale
Greetins all!
I've also posted pretty much the same thing under the cards expansion topic, but figured I'd put it down here to in hopes of getting some constructive critisism.
I don't think any of the weapons are new to HeroQuest, but what's different is that I'm trying to use an icon system to represent weapon traits. Here's the traits:
diagonal (diagonal spear icon) - can attack diagonal squares
dual wield capable (crossed swords icon) - I'll have different levels of dual wield skills which can be learned over time - but that's another topic
thrown (bullseye icon) - can be thrown at any monster that you can 'see' at a range of current BPx2
two-handed (two hands gripping a hilt icon) - is what it sounds like
unwieldly (guy holding polearm icon) - if attacking into or from a pit or a narrow hallway, reroll all skulls from initial roll once (weapon is large/clumsy and doesn’t function well in smaller spaces) narrow hallways are defined as any space that has two blocked adjacent spaces (not diagonal), only walls, closed doors, bookcases & cupboards (or any ‘tall’ furniture that blocks line of sight) counts as ‘blocked’.
ranged (arrow icon) - standard HQ ranged rules
heavy (mace icon) - reroll all black shields on initial attack once – weapon has more of a ‘carry through’ ability than other weapons, resulting in a more consistent higher damage output
Note: if making an unwieldly heavy attack – reroll all skulls AND blackshields

equipment png images: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1Eh4VEZygfXFTEyInrbHG9H-8NuLSOdhG?usp=sharing
EDIT: updated the link to the card set with updated images & iconography

Note on prices: the 'big guns' get pretty expensive pretty fast, this is something I've set up in hopes of always giving heroes something to work toward without them being able to steamroll the dungeon by the 8th quest when everyone has platemail, shields, helmets and battle axes

Also, I'm going to restrict the number of individual items in the 'world' to the number of cards that are available. Is it realistic? No. But, it's part of a mechanic that I'm planning on keeping in place. So, not everyone can have a battle axe. This will make sure that heroes have to decide who gets what. Should make for an interesting combination of competition/teamwork/discussion among the players.

The biggest help that I need for this is for experienced players to look it over and provide feedback.
Also, I could use some help from the Inn's resident artists. Currently the art for the backpack, glaive, great axe, and studded leather bracers don't match up well with the classic HeroQuest style art. So please point me in the right direction if you know of something that would be appropriate there.

Please, share your thoughts so I can improve.

Re: New HQ Equipment Cards

PostPosted: June 20th, 2020, 1:40 am
by Anderas
Do you know the font HQ Modern?
It's based on the original HQ card font, but contains several dozen symbols for making cards.

I had a full set of symbolized equipment cards. Then I realized that, to be compatible with anyone's heroquest, I need to remove them again.

Now I have a deactivated section in my HQ Card maker code which is able to output symbols on cards, but not all of them :shock: half finished projects, anybody? :D

Well, if I ever finish my parser ("rolls 4 dice in attack" automatically becomes :skull: :skull: :skull: :skull: ), I will output my cards again as symbolized version.

What I do like less about your cards is that you have sometimes colored cards and sometimes the original B&W graphics.
For the B&W graphics, I have something on my drive that could help... wait... here, take a look.
I think someone took them already and made an internet card creator from them but ok. Sharing is for sharing.

Re: New HQ Equipment Cards

PostPosted: June 20th, 2020, 4:42 am
by lestodante
Anderas wrote:What I do like less about your cards is that you have sometimes colored cards and sometimes the original B&W graphics.


Same feeling for me... Some of them are b/w, others are greyscaled but some are pink/brown and others are yellowish. The backback is colored and cartonized also.

Re: New HQ Equipment Cards

PostPosted: June 20th, 2020, 1:33 pm
by arntisdale
lestodante wrote:
Anderas wrote:What I do like less about your cards is that you have sometimes colored cards and sometimes the original B&W graphics.


Same feeling for me... Some of them are b/w, others are greyscaled but some are pink/brown and others are yellowish. The backback is colored and cartonized also.


I quite agree. It's just that with my toolset/knowledge, I wasn't sure how to fix it! (I've been copy/pasting/snipping from all over the Inn and other places) In the back of my mind I'm telling myself that when I eventually take these to printerstudio, I can select the black and white option for all the card fronts, which should (mostly) fix the color issue. But the art style is still a problem with a few of them. Most notably the great axe, glaive, backpack, and studded leather bracers. If anyone spots any art out there that would be a good fit for those, please let me know.

Anderas wrote:Do you know the font HQ Modern?


No Anderas, I'm not familiar with HQ Modern. Do you think it would work with notebook software? That's what I'm using to create these. I'm actually making the image in the notebook software and then using the snip tool to get the png. I know, I'm a total amateur, but I got this far... ;)
Also, thank you for sharing your HeroQuest art collection! It'll definitely come in handy.

I was also thinking of shrinking the skull/shield icons a bit, and removing the borders... but right now I'm just... thinking.

Re: New HQ Equipment Cards

PostPosted: June 20th, 2020, 4:52 pm
by StratosVX
Anderas wrote:half finished projects, anybody?

Only about all of mine. I still haven't been able to get back to our project from last year, but I have been thinking about how to implement it.

Re: New HQ Equipment Cards

PostPosted: June 20th, 2020, 5:06 pm
by Anderas
I was working on it today. I was ripping the png to svg module out of it for something else :-)

Re: New HQ Equipment Cards

PostPosted: June 21st, 2020, 5:53 am
by lestodante
For me the best way to create "compatible" images is to ask a real artist to draw them for you.
A good artwork give a better feeling to the players, especially if at least one of the original character is in the artwork.
I did some already in the past and currently running a couple of projects to create a new deck for Heroes Skills and other cool stuff.
Below you can see some previews of the card I did for the questpacks "A Tyrant's Tomb" (more here, still WIP: http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?t=5045), "Serving the Empire" (here: http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?t=5146) and some of the quests featured on the Brazilian magazines:

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Re: New HQ Equipment Cards

PostPosted: June 23rd, 2020, 12:03 pm
by arntisdale
lestodante wrote:For me the best way to create "compatible" images is to ask a real artist to draw them for you.


I've messing around with some of my cards, doing my best to keep my mechanics the same, but changing names. The one piece that I haven't been able to find good HQ-style art for is the backpack. So...

Dear all artists of Ye Olde Inn.
Will you draw me a HeroQuest style backpack for card art?

Ideally, it should have a built-in quiver, and other than that it's just a pack for carrying extra armor.

Thanks!

Re: New HQ Equipment Cards

PostPosted: June 23rd, 2020, 12:13 pm
by Anderas
I'd back up a backpack equipment card picture... however Lestodante is paying for it. What would you give?

Re: New HQ Equipment Cards

PostPosted: June 28th, 2020, 6:56 pm
by arntisdale
I've played around with the backpack image I have, here's what I got now, check it out:
Backpack.png


I'm also in the process of making all of my card images more consistent. I'll post when the my update is ready for viewing.