Page 1 of 2
OpenQuest project

Posted:
October 3rd, 2019, 2:13 am
by ClemGrt
Re: OpenQuest project

Posted:
October 3rd, 2019, 1:19 pm
by Anderas
Would you please, please, please stop to make all your postings only as link to other forums?
This is a Forum with an active fan base with swathes of knowledge and really friendly users. It is insulting if every single post of you tries to lure the people away from this forum. Your own blog, I understand of course. But Quora?
I want to be positive, too:
For your first question;
the Zombicide Black Plague and the Heroquest miniatures have a different style;
however they are size-wise compatible.
The Heroquest mini heads are a LOT bigger, the zombicide miniatures are more realistic. Both are single-mould figures, so they are easily paintable, both are low on detail and high on creativity so they are fun to paint.
I mix and match both games without problem.
For your second question, square size differs. People with 30mm squares like me allow sometimes to have two models in a square if the bases fit (I have my goblins and dwarfs on transparent 18mm bases); people with 40mm squares definitely have at least a few rules in that direction, including differing range rules for fighting, magic and other purposes; people using Zombicide/MassiveDarkness/Conan Boards need completely different rules to make their games working.
I once tried to make a rule set that would make Conan Boards compatible with Heroquest rules, (those boards are so beautiful!) but that square format & size makes it really a different kind of animal, so I stopped somewhere.
To answer your question, yes there are. Ork Quest Warpath. Darklight Memento Mori (which is, in fact, Warhammer Quest V4). Yes there are. This concept is not dead.
Re: OpenQuest project

Posted:
October 6th, 2019, 3:37 pm
by ClemGrt
Understood. I did not intend to draw people out of this forum, but as I have several sources of information it is easier for me to centralise on a few links I can follow. I'm sorry if the community feels it insulting, thus I won't go further in this direction then (except my Blog of course, where I gather all my custom resources. Note that I always share the resource so that visiting the Blog isn't required.)
Thank you for your answers, I will have a look to these games.
Re: OpenQuest project

Posted:
October 17th, 2019, 2:50 am
by ClemGrt
Here is a first teaser of OpenQuest project :
OpenQuest will be a free set of rules based on Heroquest. Its main purpose is to play on an open continuous board without squares.
It is also introducing new rules to integrate various figures from other games thanks to a character creation system.
Re: OpenQuest project

Posted:
October 17th, 2019, 10:25 am
by torilen
I could understand using hexes instead of squares, to allow for movement in any direction, more like real life.
But what you are attempting is very close to wargaming type ttrpg (table top rpg). That sort of movement
style is used in wargaming because of the vehicles involved, which make use of a measurement type of
movement much better than trying to count squares or hexes or such.
I personally would not play a game like that, not because it is close to wargaming....I like the idea of
wargaming...but because of this:
1 - With the HQ style of board game, there is not enough room on the board to use the measuring tape
properly.
2 - It requires you to have a measuring tape on hand, instead of dice. Much easier to get your hands on a
set of dice than it is a measuring tape. They are also much more durable than a measuring tape. Playing
HQ, you pretty much know you'll have the dice SOMEWHERE.
Re: OpenQuest project

Posted:
October 18th, 2019, 10:10 am
by cornixt
There is a reason why even immensely detailed games like D&D use a simple 5' grid system for movement with models instead of measuring everything down to a single foot. Using tape measures is just a pain. It would be ten times worse when you have to deal with all the furniture and doors. It's not to say that it would never work, but it's a huge step away from HQ, which seem to be the opposite of what you are trying to achieve.
Simplicity is the biggest strength of HQ, you should probably try to focus on that.
Re: OpenQuest project

Posted:
October 18th, 2019, 2:46 pm
by ClemGrt
I've just released the draft version of the first chapter of OpenQuest : Character creation. I did my best to make it balanced and match the default Heroquest characters but I'm quite sure it does need some proof reading. Please do not hesitate to comment and modify if needed.
Here it is
cornixt wrote:There is a reason why even immensely detailed games like D&D use a simple 5' grid system for movement with models instead of measuring everything down to a single foot. Using tape measures is just a pain. It would be ten times worse when you have to deal with all the furniture and doors. It's not to say that it would never work, but it's a huge step away from HQ, which seem to be the opposite of what you are trying to achieve.
Simplicity is the biggest strength of HQ, you should probably try to focus on that.
Thanks to both of you for your advice, I'll play some test games soon with the kids and will keep this in mind and report about it afterwards
Re: OpenQuest project

Posted:
October 20th, 2019, 5:27 am
by ClemGrt
We've played the two first quests this morning with the kids (7 and 9 yo). It worked well!
Measuring with the tape needs to be careful but they made it. So if children can do it...
Anyway, there are lots of situation where you even don't need to measure since the distances are quite obvious.
You can read full report
here.
Re: OpenQuest project

Posted:
October 22nd, 2019, 12:14 pm
by ClemGrt
Developping and testing OpenQuest goes on... Today we tried the new
Character Sheet and an open air quest :
Goblin Invasion 
Re: OpenQuest project

Posted:
October 25th, 2019, 5:51 am
by ClemGrt