• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Card Text Project

Have a HeroQuest related project and need community assistance? Create a thread about your project here and the type of aid you require. Other community members searching this room may be able to assist, or join you on your adventure.

Re: Card Text Project

Postby Patroclus » July 20th, 2012, 5:47 pm

Thanks Maike, about the cards cutting I have done it as you said. There is no line between cards so you can cut them with the minimum cuts. I have put some lines on the borders to show where to do the cuts.

The margins you say is not between the cards but about the border, the printer’s margins. Every printer has its own margins, an area where you cannot print. For example my printer at home has 3mm on top, bottom, left and right while at my work has about 5mm top/bottom(height) and 4mm right and left(width). The program reads the characteristics of your printer and decides how much space can be printed so you don’t need to change them. (sometimes even the 1mm it is very important!)

But the program has two options, print or export to png. Some guys maybe want to use professional printers and take the pages as images to a printing store. They don’t know the margins, so, they will choose to export the cards as images by choosing a safe margin on their own. For example 10mm up/botton/left/right. That’s why I let it free for everyone to change it.

Rewards:
Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in two (2) Miniature Exchanges. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Patroclus

Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Postby LordZeke » July 20th, 2012, 6:22 pm

just make sure there is boarder line to cut on, cards that are all the same color/ similar color make it hard to figure out where one begins and one ends

Rewards:
Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
LordZeke

Gargoyle
Gargoyle

Forum Language: English (United States)
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby Patroclus » July 21st, 2012, 10:08 am

No, there is no line between cards, only line-marks on the area above/bellow/left and right of the cards to show where you have to put the metallic ruler and do the cut with the hobby knife. I know that if someone is using a scissor it is important to have a cut line, and I will put an option, but it is not recommended to use scissors because first of all it is impossible to cut it so perfectly that the line won’t be seen at the final result, and secondly you will need a lot of time to cut so many cards with only a scissor. But no problem, I will put an option.

Rewards:
Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in two (2) Miniature Exchanges. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Patroclus

Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Usergroups:

Postby Patroclus » July 21st, 2012, 10:56 am

Ok, with the cut line, take a look at the picture bellow… maybe if I put a white color it will be less noticeable… I don’t know, we can change the color latter when I will share the program and test it by yourself. Or maybe I could place an option to choose the color of the cut line if you think that helps.
Last edited by Patroclus on July 15th, 2014, 10:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

Rewards:
Patroclus

Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Usergroups:

Postby Patroclus » July 21st, 2012, 3:58 pm

Also, without any changes it is possible to print tiles like it was cards by giving the tiles width and height in millimeters or inches as card’s width and height and by using the “Image Back” cells. But I will give more details later...

I hope this Monday I will send you the rapidshare link to test the program. But as you will see the online excel is still empty so there is not much to print. Of course you will need the file names of the images to do the data entry, so I hope after you got the program with the files we will find people to fill the excel. If each person who use the program fills his own language the excel will be completed soon.

When the program starts it tries to connect to the internet to read drathe’s excel. Of course you can load your own excels by pressing the load button, but for the start I think it is better to use the drathe’s excel. Always keep backup of your work each time you do changes.

Rewards:
Patroclus

Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Usergroups:

Postby Patroclus » July 23rd, 2012, 6:51 am

Have in mind that version 1 could have bugs and it is very important to report anything you find here in this thread.

It is recommended to not spend money to colorful prints before the debugging from the community.

The settings.ini file with all the font sizes is update by me. It is recommended that you will post your favorite tested sizes here in this thread every time you do a better change. Just open the settings.ini file and copy-paste the content.

If you have any proposals to make the program better let me know.

Any templates added from the community will be added later.

This is the link for the HQ Card Maker: https://rapidshare.com/files/694967189/HQ%20Card%20Maker.rar

Have a nice hobby time! |_P

Rewards:
Patroclus

Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Usergroups:

Postby Patroclus » September 15th, 2012, 4:10 am

I’ve made a small tutorial for how to make cards. Sorry for the blur photos… Someone changed my camera settings… :shock:
At first we print a page from the program.
After that we do horizontal cuts by using a ruler and a hobby knife or whatever we have.
Our new card will look like this.
Bend the card in the middle.
Use a glue (liquid are the strongest) and do a rectangle and an X in the middle, to both sides. Leave a space around the rectangle or else the glue will spilled out doing a mess.
Take a page from a thick magazine or an advertizing brochure to have a feeling like the original cards, and put it like this.
Press it and cut it again…
You can use a clipper for round corners or do it with a scissor…
You can use card sleeves to protect your cards and it helps if you don’t glued your card well…
Have a nice game and some creative moments... |_P
Last edited by Patroclus on July 15th, 2014, 10:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

Rewards:
Patroclus

Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Usergroups:

Postby Daedalus » September 15th, 2012, 4:11 pm

Nice tutorial. One thing I might suggest is to have the cards printed with about a 1 cm space between them. That would mean more cuts, but it would also mean that the glue would meet the edges better. To avoid messy, softened borders in the cutting process I'd first let the card faces bond to the middle layer for an hour or two, then make the cuts.

I like your use of a repurposed, heavier stock-paper sandwiched between the printed card faces. Very cost effective.
UNCLE ZARGON
WANTS.. YOU

Rewards:
Wizard of Zargon Group Member Grin's Stone Map Played a turn in five (5) Play-by-Post games. Created a Hot Topic. Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy!Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered all eight (8) Game System monsters. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Editor-in-Chief
Daedalus
Dread Ruleslawyer

Wizard
Wizard

Forum Language: English (United States)
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group MemberScribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberArtists Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby Goblin-King » September 15th, 2012, 6:20 pm

If you are really into printing stuff yourself you should get one of those printers where the paper goes straight through the machine. In from the left, out at the right.
That way you can just buy paper at the right thickness - 0,25mm perhaps?

When glue is involved things tend to get messy :P

That clipper is pure genius though! Never knew such a device existed! Me want!

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges.Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Ye Olde Judge Dredd
Goblin-King
Really looks like David Bowie

Frozen Horror
Frozen Horror

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby drathe » September 28th, 2012, 6:50 pm

The last two evenings, I've taken to updating the spreadsheet. All file names and dashes (-) are in place.

In the card folder of the program, I noticed there is no eu-chaos-spells.png file, yet the spreadsheet has this file listed under the English Chaos Spell cards. Further, I noticed the file names for the French spell backs have Greek characters in them for some reason.

Will this card maker also work for Monsters? Or is that planned for a later edition/separate program?

Rewards:
Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Wrote an article for the Blog. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in a Miniature Exchange. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer
Lord
drathe
The Bastiferous!

Innkeeper
Innkeeper

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Innkeepers Group Member Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member Scribes Group Member

PreviousNext

Return to Project Forge