• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

The Experiment

Gather your Heroes for Play-by-Post adventures here. Posting in this room does not count toward your posting rank.
Forum rules
Use this area for gathering and playing Play-by-Post games. They need not be HeroQuest, but all games are still subject to the rules of the Ye Olde Inn forum. Posts in this room will not count toward your posting rank.

Note: There are no Quick Reply boxes in this forum. They have been disabled due to incompatibility with the Dice feature this forum uses.

The Experiment

Postby Anderas » February 23rd, 2015, 12:58 pm

Yesterday, in the tavern, you've met somebody who swears that in the mountains nearby, an evil wizard is living. Everybody in the village is swearing that this guy is good for the village, that he heals people - only this one guy yesterday, was telling the opposite. He was pressing on to reach the next village before sunset. He didn't want to stay. He says, the Wizard is doing experiments on living beings.

Heroes are needed!

This is a double experiment. It's not only the evil wizard in the mountains who does experiments. Me too; because I like to test some house rules.

I want to play with EU Rules; with the following changes:

Disarming a trap is possible only on Adjacent squares or on diagonal squares if at least one of the two adjacent squares is free.

I'd give GimmeYerGold's custom card set a try. I'll use them all.
Hero Spells: viewtopic.php?f=34&t=2821
Equipment Cards: viewtopic.php?f=34&t=2818
The wizard will have one additional; reusable spell that i'll reveal after the wizard has chosen his card decks. He may choose from Earth, Water, Fire, Air and Light.

Throwing Weapons: Each and every weapon can be thrown. However, if it is not extra made for throwing, it is more difficult: Roll one dice. If it shows a skull, the weapon hits. If it shows something else, the weapon misses.
If it is thrown "effective", it does its nominal damage up to a maximum of 3 attack dices.
However, you have to have the nominal attack dice x 2 in Body points for this attack to be fully effective. If the thrown weapon is "not effective", it does one dice of damage only.

Just to clarify an old rules discussion:
Diagonal line of sight.
An exactly diagonal line of sight is blocked, if both adjacent squares contain something.
For diagonal Line of Sight through doors; consider a Doorframe blocking one of the two adjacent squares

Now, where's the real experiment?
Here it comes:

The Experiment
:arrow: Each Hero will be able to reroll 1 Dice per turn.
:arrow: He may reroll any one dice, move, magic, throw, shoot, attack, defens, jump, sneak - whenever a dice roll is needed. It does not need to be during the Heroe's turn, he could as well use the reroll for a defense dice during Morcar's turn.
:arrow: If he chooses not to reroll any dice, the reroll can be saved for the next turn, thus, allowing him two rerolls the next turn.
:arrow: Your Bank account is full with two rerolls. You can never have more than that.

:arrow: Morcar will get 2 rerolls per turn. Morcar's Bank account is full with 8 Rerolls: Two per Hero - if a Hero dies, Morcar will have less maximum rerolls.

To respect the specifities of a play by post game, for rerolling, follow this order:
Attack dice. Save.
Take a look. If you want to reroll, add the reroll dice(s) to your post.
If you don't want to add any rerolls anymore, add defense dices.

The defender may then decide himself to reroll as soon as he sees the result.

If i quote a posting with rerolls inside, i want to see exactly this order.

The Heros

I take each and any Hero who wants to participate.
I'd like to have four Heroes; but if you're less, i do my experiment with less Heroes, no issue.
You may play with any combination of Heroes:

You take the Barbarian, the Dwarf, the Elf and the Wizard from the base set. Each Hero might be taken several times, so yes, you could play with 4 Barbarians or 4 Wizards, no problem. If there are several Wizards or Elfes chosen, each may choose the same Card set if he likes (So 4 Elfs with 4x Fire, no problem... boring but no problem)

You add 200 Gold Coins of Equipment to your hero.
Then you're ready to start.

Players
For the moment:
GoldBearer
Kitch
Last edited by Anderas on March 2nd, 2015, 9:02 am, edited 4 times in total.

Rewards:
Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Anderas
NOT Andreas!

Polar Warbear
Polar Warbear

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member
Champion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Re: The Experiment

Postby Gold Bearer » February 23rd, 2015, 1:33 pm

I'm in. :) Can I use one of my custom heroes or do you only want that base four?
:goblin: 1BP, :orc: 2BP, :fimir: 3BP, :skeleton: 1BP, :zombie: 2BP, :mummy: 3BP, :chaoswarrior: 4BP, :gargoyle: 5BP. US :chaoswarrior: 3BP, US :gargoyle: 4BP.

Expanded Combined Spells: viewtopic.php?f=38&t=4296

A psychedelic substance occasionally causes psychotic behaviour in people who have not taken it. - Terence McKenna
DMT - The Spirit Molecule: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwZqVqbkyLM

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in five (5) Play-by-Post games. Created a Hot Topic. Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Destroyed a Zombie! Shattered a Skeleton! Unravelled a Mummy! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Gold Bearer

Crossbowman
Crossbowman

Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby Kitch1982 » February 23rd, 2015, 3:49 pm

I will play as the Elf! :)
Kitch1982

Mummy
Mummy

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Anderas » February 24th, 2015, 1:05 am

Very well, the first two heroes are there.
Which Hero from your custom range do you want to use, Gold Bearer? I find some of your special rules quite strong; for example the ability to attack two times. :D :)

Rewards:
Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Anderas
NOT Andreas!

Polar Warbear
Polar Warbear

Hero:
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member
Champion Group Member

Postby Gold Bearer » February 24th, 2015, 6:51 am

I'll have a look through and see who I want to use and post it later to see if you approve.

I try to compensate for good skills with restrictions. With two attacks you need to good weapons to make the most of it, you can't use a shield when you do it, you can't do it if you move over half rate and the warrior can't use any ranged weapons.

I've thought of something with the rerolls. The way p-b-p works it means that we'll be able to reroll our own attacking dice and the opponents defence dice. That's going to make it very easy to wound with every attack. It'll be carnage. It will mean the heroes have less trouble dealing with monsters when they're first revealed but the monsters will be far more dangerous when they do get a turn. I'm not saying it won't work, just that it will change the game quite a bit. All attacking power will be increased and all defence power will be decreaced. If that's what you intended then okay.
:goblin: 1BP, :orc: 2BP, :fimir: 3BP, :skeleton: 1BP, :zombie: 2BP, :mummy: 3BP, :chaoswarrior: 4BP, :gargoyle: 5BP. US :chaoswarrior: 3BP, US :gargoyle: 4BP.

A psychedelic substance occasionally causes psychotic behaviour in people who have not taken it. - Terence McKenna

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in five (5) Play-by-Post games. Created a Hot Topic. Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Destroyed a Zombie! Shattered a Skeleton! Unravelled a Mummy! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Gold Bearer

Crossbowman
Crossbowman

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby Anderas » February 24th, 2015, 7:55 am

We'll see.
You are right insofar as rerolling attack dices brings the most benefit. Rerolling black shield dices on the other hand is stupid.
But think about the risk. If the heros reroll their attak it means they won't reroll the defense. As you pointed out correctly, even the attack of a Goblin is dangerous if morcar can reroll. Maybe it is wise to save the reroll for the defense.....
Additionally, it introduces an Element of haste because you don't want to see Morcar filling his bank account. What do we call it, by the way? Stamina?

Well, i hope that it adds to the gameplay. If it doesn't, we'll see rather fast and can remove it.

Certainly the Monster stats may not look as in the eu rules, or if yes, then the Monster Numbers have to be adapted. Also, the dungeon has to be adapted to allow for many opportunities to spend the rerolls else than in fighting. :)

Rewards:
Anderas
NOT Andreas!

Polar Warbear
Polar Warbear

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Gold Bearer » February 24th, 2015, 8:43 am

I meant that we would be able to roll the opponents defence dice but not our own, because we roll each others defence dice but I suppose we could just say to reroll our next defence dice if needed.

Gladiator
Race: Human. Class: Gladiator. Equipment: Short Sword, Shield.
Gladiator.jpg
  • You are able to give up your attacking action to guard if no enemy is adjacent to you, allowing you a free melee attack out of turn as soon as an enemy is in reach.

• You get a free attack out of turn against an adjacent enemy that moves to a non-adjacent square if they were within reach before they moved, which you can use to make a melee attack or to throw a weapon.

• You are unwilling to use any ranged weapons but your still able to throw weapons that can normally be thrown.
Those skills are from an old D&D cpu game I had.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Gold Bearer on February 24th, 2015, 9:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

Rewards:
Gold Bearer

Crossbowman
Crossbowman

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby Anderas » February 24th, 2015, 9:12 am

It is ok. But he will start with 2 attack and 2 defense without equipment. You can buy additional equipment from the eq cards if you like.

I know that makes him better. But at least he will integrate with this System.

For the defense rerolls, you just announce and dice them yourself after you see the result impacting you. To be honest, i didn't think a lot if it integrates well with the pbp turn order. Lets just try. Worst case everybody has to dice his own defense rolls like in a table game at home.

Rewards:
Anderas
NOT Andreas!

Polar Warbear
Polar Warbear

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Gold Bearer » February 24th, 2015, 9:38 am

That will really slow the game down. I think it would be better if we can just have the option of saying that we'll use rerolls on our defences before our next turn if we need to and then the attacker will reroll them. Also you'll need to decide whether the attacker or defender gets the choice to reroll first.

I've edited the gladiator slightly but it won't have much of an effect on the game.

Rewards:
Gold Bearer

Crossbowman
Crossbowman

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby Anderas » February 24th, 2015, 11:29 am

Normally you shall reroll without knowing the result of the defense!
So if i quote a post with an attack with a reroll i shall see:
Attack dice:1
Reroll dice 2
Defense dice: 3.

There it stops. The defender may decide as soon as he sees the result to reroll one dice, and then he does it directly without waiting, himself.

I added three lines for "throwing weapons" in the starting post:
Throwing Weapons: Each and every weapon can be thrown. However, if it is not extra made for throwing, it is more difficult: Roll one dice. If it shows a skull, the weapon hits. If it shows something else, the weapon misses.
If it is thrown "effective", it does its nominal damage up to a maximum of 3 attack dices.
However, you have to have the nominal attack dice x 2 in Body points for this attack to be fully effective. If the thrown weapon is "not effective", it does one dice of damage only.

The Gladiator, after a little thinking, can have the wait-for-an-enemy ability but only with some conditions. The updated Gladiator would look like that:

Gladiator
Race: Human. Class: Gladiator. Equipment: Nothing. Gold: 200

Basic Skill:
You are able to give up your attacking action and movement to be on guard if no enemy is adjacent to you, allowing you a free melee attack out of turn as soon as an enemy is in reach.

Veteran Skill:
You get a free attack out of turn against an adjacent enemy that moves to a non-adjacent square if they were within reach before they moved, which you can use to make a melee attack or to throw a weapon.
However, for this you have to give away one reroll and the action of your next turn.

You are unwilling to use any ranged weapons but your still able to throw weapons.

@Kitch and Gold bearer, both: Do you have a portrait you want to see on the HQ Map as symbol for your Hero? Best case colored?

Rewards:
Anderas
NOT Andreas!

Polar Warbear
Polar Warbear

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Next

Return to Play-by-Post Game Room