• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

The Altdorf Chronicles - Chapter One: A New Beginning

Gather your Heroes for Play-by-Post adventures here. Posting in this room does not count toward your posting rank.
Forum rules
Use this area for gathering and playing Play-by-Post games. They need not be HeroQuest, but all games are still subject to the rules of the Ye Olde Inn forum. Posts in this room will not count toward your posting rank.

Note: There are no Quick Reply boxes in this forum. They have been disabled due to incompatibility with the Dice feature this forum uses.

The Altdorf Chronicles - Chapter One: A New Beginning

Postby Gold Bearer » November 1st, 2014, 2:45 pm

We'll be using expanded Euro rules with these stats for the original monsters: :goblin: 1BP, :orc: 2BP, :fimir: 3BP, :skeleton: 1BP, :zombie: 2BP, :mummy: 3BP, :chaoswarrior: 4BP, :gargoyle: 5BP. The heroes can backtrack their steps in the same turn, I don't see why they shouldn't be able to do that, and they can sell equipment for half it's value to buy, assuming they're somewhere that has an armoury. We'll use the US shock rule for reaching 0MP and adventurers can't attack each other. Other new content, apart from the new heroes, will be gradually introduced as the campaign progresses.

Players can choose their characters from the sixteen (that include the original four) in the opening posts of this topic: viewtopic.php?f=203&t=2645 Characters with daggers can attack diagonally (they can't be thrown, that's knives in my rules), helms give an extra defense dice against falling objects, bucklers give an extra defense dice against physical ranged attacks, the hand crossbow is a one combat dice ranged attack and armour is taken into account on their stats. Without armour dwarvens defend with two dice, humans with one and elvens with none. Dwarvens can see in the dark and Elvens can shoot twice with a bow if they move more more than half rate, others can shoot twice with a bow if they don't move. The Knight and Gnome move eight without armour.

Random movement conversion: 1 = Lowest of three dice, 2 = Lowest of two dice, 4 = One dice, 6 = Lowest two of three dice, 8 = Two dice, 10 = Highest two of three dice, 12 = Three dice.

When a hero dies that hero can't be chosen again. Players can choose a replacement freely, including any of the heroes I'm made accept for the battle magicians, I want to use those as mercenaries. I was intending for each hero of the initial sixteen to unlock four others as replacement options but I haven't finished them all yet, if I have by the time someone dies we'll do that and if not you can just pick freely.

We won't be keeping track of XP, the heroes will become champions and get 50gp after three quests, veterans and 100gp after six, masters and 150gp after nine and legends and 200gp after twelve quests. The mountain dwarf's money rewards work differently but the progression to legend is the same.

At the start of each of my turns I'll roll a combat dice.
Skull = Nothing.
White Shield = Random Event.
Black Shield = GM takes a treasure card and can either discard it or return it to the deck. Roll the first dice again.

Random Events:
1 = Monster: Skull = Monster Patrol, White Shield = Sentinel, Black Shield = Sneak Attack. Roll the second dice again (another monster is the same type (patrol/sentinal/sneak attack) as before).
2 = Monster: Skull = Monster Patrol, White Shield = Sentinel, Black Shield = Sneak Attack.
3 = A random hero sets off a poisoned dart trap: Skull = Lose 1BP, White Shield = Unaffected, Black Shield = Lose 1MP.
4 = The GM draws an Evil Wizard card.
5 = A random hero draws a treasure card (wandering monster treated as sentinel and sentry treated as monster patrol).
6 = Random Treasure: Skull = D6x10gp, White Shield = Random potion, Black Shield = Random scroll.

Sneak Attack = Wandering Monster appears and roll again (the first dice).
Sentinel = Wandering Monster appears but can't attack this turn.
Monster Patrol = Wandering Monster appears but can't go this turn.

During a quest wounds suffered from poison can only be healed with an antidote.

I've altered a few of Sjeng's evil wizard cards to make them compatible with a p-b-p game and toned down a few that I thought were overpowered, mainly because they could be used at any time. I've also replaced the pit trap with chaos assault from an older version of the cards because placing a pit trap in the wrong place could make an erea unreachable.

When the dungeon is clear (aside from anything that needs a secret door to access) I'll stop rolling the combat dice on my turn and you can dhose to leave at any time without having to move to the exit.

We're using the EURO weapons rules and stats except that the staff and crossbow (and other ranged weapons that don't say otherwise) are two handed. You can still carry a shield with a two handed weapon but once you've attacked you can't switch to a shield until your next turn. You can have more than one of each type of equipment, we definitely not using that rule, but in some places (villages) there's only one of each type available. You can always use your attacking action to pick up something to use as a club. Clubs attack with one dice, can be used by anyone, can't be carried if another melee weapon is equipped and they aren't worth anything.

Once you become a champion you can hire men-at-arms, when you become a veteran you can hire elite men-at-arms (US stats and rules), when you become a master you can hire an ogre mercenary and when you become a legend you can hire a battle magician. That's assuming you happen to be somewhere they're available from of course.

Each hero can have a maximum of four followers (WoM rule), and the party can only contain one ogre, one battle wizard, one battle sorcerer and one battle mage, because of rivalry.

Only characters with a magic level (zero counts) can use scrolls.

Characters can see over low fernature.

You have to be adjacent to a trap to disarm it.

Monsters set off traps (why wouldn't they?).

Corridors can't be searched for treasure.

When a weapon is thrown roll two combat dice. The weapon is broken on two black shields and throw straight back on two white shields, if the target survives of course. Javlins, spears and hammers are damaged on two skulls. Knives, great spears and great hammers are damaged on one skull and one white shield. Hand axes, elven spears and dwarven hammers are damaged on one skull and one black shield. Damaged weapons can be repaired for half of their full value.

I'll be adding a couple of potions to the treasure deck, a potion of defense and a potion of bravery to give the US rock skin and courage effects and I'll add one monster patrol and one gas trap to offset the two extra potions and maybe a couple of nothings.

Edit:
The treasure deck I'm using has more than 100 cards (including duplicates) because I saw the US 300gp and wanted it to be rare and I wanted the other potions in the deck.

Sorcerer Mind Spells
Dominate
The Sorcerer and target each roll the same number of combat dice as their current MP. If the Sorcerer scores at least two skulls more than the target then the Sorcerer takes the target’s next turn at the end of the heroes phase.

Mind Blast
The Sorcerer and target each roll the same number of combat dice as their current MP. For each skull the caster or target scores over the other’s number of skulls the one who scored less loses 1MP.

Mind Lock
The Sorcerer and target each roll the same number of combat dice as their current MP. For each skull the Sorcerer scores over the target’s number of skulls the target misses one turn. A Mind Locked target can't defend with more than one combat dice but can attempt to break free at the start of their turn by rolling one combat dice per current MP and scoring at least three skulls.
Last edited by Gold Bearer on February 21st, 2015, 10:15 am, edited 11 times in total.
:goblin: 1BP, :orc: 2BP, :fimir: 3BP, :skeleton: 1BP, :zombie: 2BP, :mummy: 3BP, :chaoswarrior: 4BP, :gargoyle: 5BP. US :chaoswarrior: 3BP, US :gargoyle: 4BP.

Expanded Combined Spells: viewtopic.php?f=38&t=4296

A psychedelic substance occasionally causes psychotic behaviour in people who have not taken it. - Terence McKenna
DMT - The Spirit Molecule: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwZqVqbkyLM

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in five (5) Play-by-Post games. Created a Hot Topic. Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Destroyed a Zombie! Shattered a Skeleton! Unravelled a Mummy! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Gold Bearer

Crossbowman
Crossbowman

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Re: The Altdorf Chronicles - Chapter One: A New Beginning

Postby The Road Warrior » November 2nd, 2014, 8:14 am

I'll take the Barbarian, Dwarf or Wizard :)
Join in the community project.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in five (5) Play-by-Post games. Created a Hot Topic. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered all eight (8) Game System monsters. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
The Road Warrior

Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby JasonMCM » November 3rd, 2014, 12:46 am

I will play the archer. If you don't mind me playing in all active PBP games at once. :D
Do you PBP? I do. See my exploits below.

Amy the Amazon
Interactive HeroQuest
Sir. Jason the Champion
Trapped in the Dark
Swiftfoot the Elf
The Dark Company
Zargon the Evil Wizard
Core Quests Redone

Rewards:
Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Created a Hot Topic. Killed a mighty Fimir! Destroyed a Zombie!
JasonMCM

Ogre Chieftain
Ogre Chieftain

Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby Gold Bearer » November 3rd, 2014, 5:53 am

Okay, The Road Warrior has a hero from the classic group and JasonMCM has the Archer from the Dungeon Quest group. Two groups left, one hero per group. That's what was originally intended and I'd like to see some of the new heroes in action.

When a hero dies that hero can't be chosen again. Players can choose a replacement freely, including any of the heroes I'm made accept for the battle magicians, I want to use those as mercenaries. I was intending for each hero of the initial sixteen to unlock four others as replacement options but I haven't finished them all yet, if I have by the time someone dies we'll do that and if not you can just pick freely.

We won't be keeping track of XP, the heroes will become champions and get 50gp after three quests, veterans and 100gp after six, masters and 150gp after nine and legends and 200gp after twelve quests. The mountain dwarf's money rewards work differently but the progression to legend is the same.

I'll be adding a couple of potions to the treasure deck, a potion of defense and a potion of bravery to give the US rock skin and courage effects and I'll add one wandering monster and one trap to offset the two extra potions.

Edit:
Once you become champions you can hire men-at-arms, when you become veterans you can hire elite men-at-arms (US stats and rules), when you become masters you can hire an ogre mercenary and when you become legends you can hire a battle magician. That's assuming you happen to be somewhere they're available from of course.

If you want to use random movement then the monsters will be too. :)

Edit:
We're using the EURO weapons rules and stats except that the staff and crossbow (and other ranged weapons that don't say otherwise) are two handed. You can still carry a shield with a two handed weapon but once you've attacked you can't switch to a shield until your next turn. You can have more than one of each type of equipment, we definitely not using that rule, but in some places (villages) there's only one of each type available. I'm not sure if you'll have an unlimited supply of arrows or other ammo (apart from stones for slings), I wasn't intending to and probably should have mentioned that, but they'll be fairly cheap and readily available and the archer will start with a decent amount to last him a while. We could do it with unlimited ammo (they'll still be limited special ammo) but I think that could make the archer, wood elf and ranger once he starts progressing, and ranged weapons in general very OP.
Last edited by Gold Bearer on November 4th, 2014, 5:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
:goblin: 1BP, :orc: 2BP, :fimir: 3BP, :skeleton: 1BP, :zombie: 2BP, :mummy: 3BP, :chaoswarrior: 4BP, :gargoyle: 5BP. US :chaoswarrior: 3BP, US :gargoyle: 4BP.

A psychedelic substance occasionally causes psychotic behaviour in people who have not taken it. - Terence McKenna

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in five (5) Play-by-Post games. Created a Hot Topic. Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Destroyed a Zombie! Shattered a Skeleton! Unravelled a Mummy! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Gold Bearer

Crossbowman
Crossbowman

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby Sotiris » November 4th, 2014, 4:28 am

I'll play the High Elf!
My new unpublished boardgame on Tabletopia free platform:
https://tabletopia.com/games/stellar_omega

Rewards:
Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in five (5) Play-by-Post games. Created a Hot Topic. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Sotiris

Necromancer
Necromancer

Forum Language: Ελληνικά
Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby Gold Bearer » November 4th, 2014, 5:26 am

I had a feeling you were going to pick him. :) That means I'll get to see my Talisman spells in action. :D One group left. Will it be the Fighter, Wood Elf, Gnome or Sorcerer? And then will it be the Barbarian, Dwarf or Wizard?

Oh that reminds me, only characters with a magic level (zero counts) can use scrolls.

I accidently said US weapon rules and stats, I meant Euro. :roll:

Rewards:
Gold Bearer

Crossbowman
Crossbowman

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby mitchiemasha » November 4th, 2014, 8:57 pm

What's going on here? I might be in...

Also AHQ It's a warrior not fighter... Fighter don't sound very Fantasy.

Rewards:
Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Prince
mitchiemasha

Halberdier
Halberdier

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Gold Bearer » November 5th, 2014, 3:49 am

You've never payed D&D then. I've only played an old computer game but it was enough to get me used to fighter as a class, I think it sounds cool. It's not just the fighter, the gnome and sorcerer from AHQ were the dwarf and wizard. I've already got a warrior. Think of the warrior as a much more direct hand to hand brawler and the fighter as more agile and skillful with more tricks up his sleeve.

You gunna pick one then and we can get started? We'll use random movement if there's no objections, I'd like to see the monsters moving random amounts. That translates to the archer moving with two dice and the high elf using the highest two of three. From the AHQ group the gnome moves with the highest of two dice (but only because of his armour, he moves with two dice with lighter armour like chainmail) and the others move with two.

Rewards:
Gold Bearer

Crossbowman
Crossbowman

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby Gold Bearer » November 5th, 2014, 9:53 am

At the end of each of my turns I'll roll a combat dice and on a black shield a wandering monster will be placed on a random square in sight of an adventurer that's adjacent to an out of sight square that's connects to an unexplored area if there is one. On a white shield I'll roll a standard dice and use the table below.

1 - Wandering monster! A wandering monster attacks a random adventurer.
2 - Monster patrol! The same rules as rolling a black shield except that the monster can imediately take a turn.
3 - Trap! A random adventurer looses 1BP on the roll of a skull and 1MP on the roll of a black shield.
4 - A random hero draws a random event card (the six that Sjeng made).
5 - A random hero draws a treasure card.
6 - A random hero finds treasure. Roll a combat dice. On a skull they find D6x10 gold coins, on a white shield they find a random potion and on a black shield they find a random scroll from a random spell set.

We'll use the US shock rule for reaching 0MP. I decided not to divide all the gold by ten because I can't be bothered to change the cards and it doesn't alter anything. I'm using the term adventurer to include followers and NPCs and adventure because one quest might be more than one adventure. I'd class the HQ expansions as one long quest each.

Edit:
All dwarvens can see in the dark, not just the gnome. It's just that he's better at it and can see inside a cloak of shadows as well.

When the dungeon is clear (aside from anything that needs a secret door to access) I'll stop rolling the combat dice on my turn and you can dhose to leave at any time without having to move to the exit.

Each hero can have a maximum of four followers (WoM rules), and the party can only contain one ogre, one battle wizard, one battle sorcerer and one battle mage, because of rivalry.

I'll edit the opening post later so that all the rules are in the same place right at the beginning of the thread.

Rewards:
Gold Bearer

Crossbowman
Crossbowman

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby Gold Bearer » November 7th, 2014, 12:26 pm

Sit Rep:
Mitchiemasha said he'd play if nobody else joins. I've PMed Sjeng about his evil wizard cards that I'd like to include as random events. Hopefully we'll get started before the weekend's out. I've updated the opening post to put all the rules in one place.

There are a couple of things I forgot to update the character thread with:

The High Elf can use his dispel oncew per round, that's why it's optional. It will only matter if there's more than one enemy spell caster in play and if there is I'll say what spell I'm using and wait for Sotiris to tell me whether he wants to try dispelling it. That way there's anh element of second guessing, am I playing the best spell first or trying to draw out the dispel for a second more powerful one?

The Archer has his bow skill reduced if he's waering mid-wieght armour and reduced more if he's wearing heavy armour. It was in his initial rules but I forgot to add it to his progression rules, which I've now done. He starts with 36 arrows. That's a maximum of eighteen turns that he can shoot before he has to buy replacement arrows.

The Wood Elf now has skill restrictions based on armour as well.

Rewards:
Gold Bearer

Crossbowman
Crossbowman

Hero:
Usergroups:

Next

Return to Play-by-Post Game Room