• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Zargon Goes Online

Share your game nights with everyone by posting images and captions, or just tell us about the exciting events that happened in your games here. Even if it's not from Saturday night, we'd like to see them!

Re: Zargon Goes Online

Postby TMU » July 13th, 2014, 5:04 pm

Nooo, don't take it as sexism or anything like that. I think that's awesome, an ideal gf if you ask me ;) So nothing bad was meant with my comment. Hope you understand that :)
"There is no greater danger than playing it safe."

Rewards:
Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Wrote an article for the Blog. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Slaughtered an Orc! Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Second Lieutenant
TMU

Swordsman
Swordsman

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member Scribes Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Postby Teldurn » July 13th, 2014, 9:46 pm

I understand, but I hope you can see how a comment that basically is, "oh, my Goddess A GIRL PLAYING HEROQUEST?!" can be misconstrued as being sexist. :)
War is not the answer...unless the question is, 'What is not the answer?'

Check out Broadsword, a love letter to 90s dungeon crawling board games.

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic. Destroyed a Zombie!Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Teldurn

Giant Wolf
Giant Wolf

Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby TMU » July 14th, 2014, 5:49 am

Yeah, but it's kinda a insider joke of the Inn ;) Most of us are men 35-50 years, few girls, couple old and couple young ;)
"There is no greater danger than playing it safe."

Rewards:
Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Wrote an article for the Blog. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Slaughtered an Orc! Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Second Lieutenant
TMU

Swordsman
Swordsman

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member Scribes Group Member

Postby Sjeng » July 14th, 2014, 6:58 am

I think TMU simply meant that he's happily amazed to see a woman actually playing HQ, as most women don't like geeky stuff. (Not "blasphemy! a woman playing HQ!")
But this is not as rare as women playing FPS's or other "male oriented" video games. Boardgames are pretty universal, even HQ. My wife likes HQ a lot. :D
Check out my YouTube channel Boardgame Heaven, and drop me a sub please!

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Wrote twenty (20) articles for the Blog in three (3) sections. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Official Spokesman
Sjeng
Ye Olde Orcish Bard

Chaos Warlock
Chaos Warlock

Forum Language: Nederlands
Hero:
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member Scribes Group Member

Postby joec » July 14th, 2014, 11:49 am

My wife and a friend's wife love playing HeroQuest.

@Teldurn - I'd be down with a Wed or Thurs, on the whole. With Wife clearance, of course.

Rewards:
Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Created a Hot Topic.
joec

Ogre Lord
Ogre Lord

Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby Daedalus » July 18th, 2014, 1:00 pm

Congratulations on breaking the Curse through the power of the Internet, Teldurn. That was an entertaining write-up, made even better with screenshots. Looking forward to future Quests and deaths. :skeleton:

About women and girls playing Hero Quest--HELL YA! My old group saw on-and-off women players, as we picked up the game at a later age than the intended 14-year-old male market. Back in the day, the male pronoun was still entrenched as the default, and Hasbro saw no need to threaten boys with "icky" female pronouns. We simply ignored the distinction, as we were trained to do. Years later, my neice (19 at the time) did the same. It wasn't much of a bother to her, as most of the male-dominated wording was in the Instruction Booklet, which she had no need to read.

Looking again at the problem, I'd say a desirable fix would be to create female Hero Cards for the basic Heroes. That would also require female figures to match, unfortunately. Too bad the female Barbarian and Elf are so expensive and of a different style. I hope alternative write-ups like Heroquest Prime include not only gender options, but also suitable female figures, Character Cards, and Spell Cards. In my experience, this visual depiction is of particular importance to young girls, just as young boys need the male role model.
UNCLE ZARGON
WANTS.. YOU

Rewards:
Wizard of Zargon Group Member Grin's Stone Map Played a turn in five (5) Play-by-Post games. Created a Hot Topic. Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy!Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered all eight (8) Game System monsters. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Editor-in-Chief
Daedalus
Dread Ruleslawyer

Wizard
Wizard

Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group MemberScribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberArtists Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby Teldurn » July 18th, 2014, 3:03 pm

Daedalus wrote:Congratulations on breaking the Curse through the power of the Internet, Teldurn. That was an entertaining write-up, made even better with screenshots. Looking forward to future Quests and deaths. :skeleton:

Thank you, Daedalus! :) This was tons of fun to do. I may have mentioned this already before, but the next time I do this again, it will be me running HeroQuest Prime, and I intend to also do the sessions On Air (which means they will be recorded and saved on YouTube for the public to watch (and ridicule us!)). If I treat this campaign like a warm-up, then I feel pretty confident that the next one will be mildly entertaining, and maybe even decently entertaining! :P

Daedalus wrote:About women and girls playing Hero Quest--HELL YA! My old group saw on-and-off women players, as we picked up the game at a later age than the intended 14-year-old male market. Back in the day, the male pronoun was still entrenched as the default, and Hasbro saw no need to threaten boys with "icky" female pronouns. We simply ignored the distinction, as we were trained to do. Years later, my neice (19 at the time) did the same. It wasn't much of a bother to her, as most of the male-dominated wording was in the Instruction Booklet, which she had no need to read.

Looking again at the problem, I'd say a desirable fix would be to create female Hero Cards for the basic Heroes. That would also require female figures to match, unfortunately. Too bad the female Barbarian and Elf are so expensive and of a different style. I hope alternative write-ups like Heroquest Prime include not only gender options, but also suitable female figures, Character Cards, and Spell Cards. In my experience, this visual depiction is of particular importance to young girls, just as young boys need the male role model.

Actually yes, once I'm finally done with all the writing necessary*, I will go back and make a pass so the text doesn't say "he" or "his" everywhere. According to an editor friend of mine, I can either do "he or she"/"his or hers", or I can save a bit of space and say "they," or I can keep repeating "the Hero" over and over. I think I will go with the second option of they.

Also, if you have noticed, the card back for Protection spells has a female protagonist. So that's a start. |_P

* For anyone curious (as I'm sure clmckay is, among others), I have 4 spell decks left to do, but they are also the most complex. But the cards are almost done!!

Rewards:
Teldurn

Giant Wolf
Giant Wolf

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby knightkrawler » July 18th, 2014, 3:29 pm

Many people - oh, so many! - mistake grammatical genus with alleged gender.
Beginner's mistake that automatically makes me change channels away from a feminist discussion.
HQ - Heroes & Villains (Dropbox-download link) https://www.dropbox.com/sh/jgj0kzsys9w38oh/AAA_VEHx6vMv4HKRX7IiOWTFa?dl=0
Feedback http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=3560
Gallery http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=56&t=1972&hilit=knightkrawler+gallery&start=200
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I've found a way of paying off old debts:
Always make more promises than you can break.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Cheese Baron
knightkrawler
The Furry Blue Derailer

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby Teldurn » July 18th, 2014, 3:53 pm

knightkrawler wrote:Many people - oh, so many! - mistake grammatical genus with alleged gender.
Beginner's mistake that automatically makes me change channels away from a feminist discussion.

I'm confused. Are you saying the shorthand of "he" is grammatical genius?

Rewards:
Teldurn

Giant Wolf
Giant Wolf

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby knightkrawler » July 18th, 2014, 3:56 pm

Now I'm confused.
HQ - Heroes & Villains (Dropbox-download link) https://www.dropbox.com/sh/jgj0kzsys9w38oh/AAA_VEHx6vMv4HKRX7IiOWTFa?dl=0
Feedback http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=3560
Gallery http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=56&t=1972&hilit=knightkrawler+gallery&start=200
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I've found a way of paying off old debts:
Always make more promises than you can break.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Cheese Baron
knightkrawler
The Furry Blue Derailer

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Hero:
Usergroups:

PreviousNext

Return to Saturday Night DUNGEON!