Page 1 of 3

Dark Company Custom board

PostPosted: March 9th, 2012, 2:47 pm
by Sjeng
Well, been photoshopping a bit, to make the 2x2 HQ boards for Dark Company more interesting.
No need for 4 boards, no need for resetting one board if you only have one, and more variety in rooms:

Gameboard-preview.jpg


Any comments on it? I might tweak it a bit more, and then I'll post a high-res version for you to print. I'll make 4 parts on A1 format, and one in 16 parts in A3 size. If you can colour print A1, that would give the nicest result.
I'm making it slightly bigger too, so the mini's fit better, but not too much, as it has to fit on a table too ;)

Re: Dark Company Custom board

PostPosted: March 9th, 2012, 9:39 pm
by LordZeke
might not want to use the special tiles as base... might give away a important destination.

other than that... looks great

Re: Dark Company Custom board

PostPosted: March 9th, 2012, 11:28 pm
by Seb
Haven't played that campaign as yet; but good PS work :)

Re: Dark Company Custom board

PostPosted: March 10th, 2012, 3:39 am
by Sjeng
Thanks :)

I kind of randomly shuffled stuff around, so some rooms might not even be used in the game. My intention was to create a 2x2 board that could also be used for custom quests. I did however use one torture room tile for the actual torture room, and the lich lord's chamber also has a throne there in DC, but that doesn't necessarily mean that you should use it as such. It's basically just fluff to make it look more interesting and diverse.

Re: Dark Company Custom board

PostPosted: March 16th, 2012, 8:49 am
by polymathis
Sjeng, thats awesome - it puts my 20 minute photoshop bodge job to shame!
i'll be using your version from now on!

Re: Dark Company Custom board

PostPosted: March 19th, 2012, 8:00 am
by Sjeng
I'll try to finish the board soon, and post a zipped hi-res version here, ready to print. I'm gonna look for some more cool rooms to use.

Re: Dark Company Custom board

PostPosted: March 19th, 2012, 9:15 am
by Necrothug
As mentioned above, I really think you should stay away from using room specific tiles on this. By leaving everything as the more generic base tiles (or variations) it allows for the board to be used in more games.

Re: Dark Company Custom board

PostPosted: March 19th, 2012, 9:32 am
by cynthialee
Necrothug wrote:As mentioned above, I really think you should stay away from using room specific tiles on this. By leaving everything as the more generic base tiles (or variations) it allows for the board to be used in more games.

I have to agree with this.

Also I know my players would be looking at the map and use player knowledge. Especialy Tracey. That dude just can't help it. We are always admonishing him.
Infact I made him develop his last character with a high level of Monster Knowledge (We play a skills bassed system.) just so I wouldn't have to be constantly monitoring his play and checking game notes to be sure he isn't flubbing it again. :roll:

Re: Dark Company Custom board

PostPosted: April 1st, 2012, 5:57 am
by Nephew of Mentor
I imagine this must make the game really seamless, which is great. As for player knowledge, I love the first quest "The bad guy is in the middle room!!"

Re: Dark Company Custom board

PostPosted: April 1st, 2012, 3:03 pm
by Sjeng
well, if we're honest, the center room is almost ALWAYS a point of interest. So I don't care if there's a different tile pre-printed. Keeps the board more interesting to me. Which reminds me I need to finish the damn thing already :P