• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

One of my favourite !

Discuss Quests, Cards, Monsters etc, from the Barbarian Quest Pack: The Frozen Horror.

One of my favourite !

Postby HeroQuestFrance » January 15th, 2009, 2:54 pm

The new monsters,new traps and solo mode make of this extension one of the best !
We will start to play it again with a new player group soon here and it promises surprises & deaths...a lot ...
Years ago I've been the Zargon/Morcar player and it was a great challenge.

What do you think about it ?

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic.
HeroQuestFrance

Orc Shaman
Orc Shaman

Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Re: One of my favourite !

Postby drathe » January 15th, 2009, 8:25 pm

The Minis in this pack are phenomenal! Truly the best pack for minis and tiles. Most of the Cards don't play well in other packs because of the ice theme though. In my opinion, this is the most difficult set, which is why I save it for last.

Rewards:
Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Wrote an article for the Blog. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in a Miniature Exchange. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer
Lord
drathe
The Bastiferous!

Innkeeper
Innkeeper

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Innkeepers Group Member Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member Scribes Group Member

Postby wallydubbs » November 21st, 2019, 3:21 pm

I'll admit, this is the most difficult quest pack, that's including Dark Company (it just gets really annoying when a Dark Warrior rolls a black shield). The group quests are so difficult, in fact, I've made critical adjustments to the Solo Quests (they need to be adjusted anyway for a Barbarian, equipped or not, to survive) and I've added a 5th hero (Female Barbarian) to the group, as well as giving the Wizard a 4th set of spells. It's amazing how quickly Mercenaries can be killed and the ones that do survive are a lot more expensive to keep then in Wizards of Morcar.

I do like the whole arctic environment as a creative twist, but most of the artifacts are not compatible with other game expansions.
Although the monsters are a lot tougher, I don't think they mesh with monsters from previous games. All the monsters in the previous quest packs are very Tolkeinesc or Drizzty, but Polar Warbear doesn't seem to mesh with these worlds. Maybe I'm picky, but bears don't have opposable thumbs capable of weilding clubs... Also the Ice Gremlin is supposed to be smaller then an Orc, but he has 3 body points... it kinda throws off the Greenskin evolutionary pattern.

But I guess since the environment is blisteringly cold, the monsters would need to be really tough to survive.

Rewards:
Wizard of Zargon Group Member
wallydubbs

Halberdier
Halberdier

Forum Language: English (United States)
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby Kurgan » June 7th, 2022, 7:05 pm

It can be fun but it needs a LOT of fixes and with a small group (and/or some lucky extra potions and gold) it can be decent while challenging but not overwhelming as it is in its "raw" form.

Rewards:
Destroyed a Zombie!
Channeler
Kurgan

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Scribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberChampion Group Member

Return to The Frozen Horror