• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Frozen Horror (Barbarian Quest Pack) Errata & Fixes

Discuss Quests, Cards, Monsters etc, from the Barbarian Quest Pack: The Frozen Horror.

Re: Frozen Horror (Barbarian Quest Pack) Errata & Fixes

Postby Kurgan » June 30th, 2022, 10:30 pm

Pre-orders continue to pop up and then go "out of stock" hour by hour on amazon and other places. I'll wait till it's officially released to order, personally.

I've gotten in contact with a source at AH that assures they're aware of these list(s) and the major issues are being addressed. In the coming weeks we should get more info but for now I'm feeling a lot more positive about this release!

Thanks for reading/listening guys and don't let us down! |_P

Edit: And copies are actually being delivered, we've seen unboxings now. Still waiting for any digital errata to be released!

Rewards:
Destroyed a Zombie!
Channeler
Kurgan

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Scribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberChampion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Postby Kurgan » July 7th, 2022, 2:18 pm

Rewards:
Destroyed a Zombie!
Channeler
Kurgan

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby HispaZargon » July 7th, 2022, 6:59 pm

Wow... thank you so much Kurgan, your words seem to had been finally listened!

Not checked yet in detail but so interesting that Avalon Hill have released online some fixes. I have opened a new thread for related discussions here.

Rewards:
Wizard of Zargon Group Member Participated in a Miniature Exchange.
Librarian-Analyst
HispaZargon
Inn's Guardian

Wizard
Wizard

Forum Language: Español
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group MemberScribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberArtists Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby Kurgan » July 7th, 2022, 9:17 pm

Thanks! I'm only saying what has been thought for many years...

They have addressed many of the things in my list!

Rewards:
Destroyed a Zombie!
Channeler
Kurgan

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby Hogg » August 14th, 2022, 2:58 am

Not really errata, but several quests show a double tile of Slippery Ice but the set only comes with one double tile. You have to use two single tiles for the rest, and the pack does come with enough of them to cover it all, so not a big deal.
Hogg

Goblin
Goblin

Hero:

Postby HispaZargon » August 14th, 2022, 2:38 pm

Hogg wrote:Not really errata, but several quests show a double tile of Slippery Ice but the set only comes with one double tile. You have to use two single tiles for the rest, and the pack does come with enough of them to cover it all, so not a big deal.

Good catch! Well, I guess this situation only happens in quest maps #7 & #9, which show two slipery ice 2x1 tiles. I would consider it a minor misprint, but an errata after all. Why? Well, if you check quest map #6 there are shown many slipery ice 2x1 areas BUT all of their covered squares are represented by the same 1x1 icon, so designers probably took care in that case to not exceed the maximum number of available tiles, which is correct. However they did not care about it in Q7 and Q9 where they included more than one 2x1 tile icon, that's the reason I think they should be considered an errata. Maybe the original intention of designers was including two 2x1 tiles in the box instead of one, which could easily explain the mistake.

Rewards:
Wizard of Zargon Group Member Participated in a Miniature Exchange.
Librarian-Analyst
HispaZargon
Inn's Guardian

Wizard
Wizard

Forum Language: Español
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group MemberScribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberArtists Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby SirRick » August 15th, 2022, 9:21 am

These are some general gameplay suggestions to make this quest pack playable, and mostly concern possible changes to the “Into the Northlands” free supplement:

The Wandering Monster in each quest should just be reduced to 1 monster instead of 2 or 3. That is just brutal, particularly with the triple Ice Gremlin assault, or the double Polar Warbear one-rounder.

The Spear of the Ice Queen should be 2 combat dice as normal, but 4 against Polar Warbears to make it more useful.

The Cold Iron Plate Mail should probably be able to be worn by the Barbarian (and Knight of course) with no movement penalty. The other heroes should still be able to use it with reduced movement as normal. The Elf does get Elven Chain Mail in the EQP after all.

The Yeti Hug-break maneuver featured in the companion app should be incorporated into the “Into the Northlands” supplement.

Rewards:
Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
SirRick

Orc Shaman
Orc Shaman

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Kurgan » August 15th, 2022, 2:51 pm

The multiple Wandering Monsters are brutal yes, but there are player counter-measures! I agree that the Ice Queen Spear could be a little stronger.

The Spike Shield and Cold Iron Plate outside of the FH expansion would be just like the regular shield and Plate without the ability to sell it for half value.

Heroes can actually limit their impact by crowding themselves into a corner (especially near furniture) if solo, or adding a screen with the other heroes/mercs when searching for treasure, or else staying bunched together when moving down corridors in the case of Wandering Monsters, as a result, only one (or even none in the case of rooms) Wandering Monsters will actually get the first attack. The idea behind "Into the Northlands" is that the animal companion can accompany your Barbarian on these as well, to help with the above tactic.

Rewards:
Destroyed a Zombie!
Channeler
Kurgan

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby Hogg » August 22nd, 2022, 9:08 pm

Another error, but not really because it doesn't affect anything:

In Quest 9, it shows a Wooden Exit Door, but the quest notes say the quest ends when you defeat the Frozen Horror.

The app ended the quest when I dealt the final blow to TFH, even though there were still two monsters left, and I didn't have to go to the door.
Hogg

Goblin
Goblin

Hero:

Postby Kurgan » August 23rd, 2022, 10:38 pm

I thought the door was there as a way for the heroes to escape (lose the quest without a TPK) but fail their objective. Normally you can escape a quest by fleeing down the stairs (without the objective completed, so no reward). Would the heroes get to retry the quest? If Zargon allowed it, he would need to remix the quest (and the monsters previously destroyed are restored).

Rewards:
Destroyed a Zombie!
Channeler
Kurgan

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Hero:
Usergroups:

PreviousNext