• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Failed to playtest

Discuss Quests, Cards, Monsters etc, from the Barbarian Quest Pack: The Frozen Horror.

Re: Failed to playtest

Postby lestodante » Sunday December 2nd, 2018 6:48am

but maybe Toco and Malechi are friends of him and they can intermediate. ;)
Both of them are active and also replied to my posts.

Rewards:
Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
lestodante

Crossbowman
Crossbowman

Forum Language: British English
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Postby wallydubbs » Thursday December 6th, 2018 12:13pm

So, apparently, Hasbro doesn't own the trademark for Heroquest anymore. It's own by Moon Design... I guess they're the ones that might sue him.
A couple years back, Gamezone attempted to create and release HeroQuest 25th Anniversary edition, as they own the trademark in Spain. Moon Design threw infringement charges at them, demanding proof that Hasbro sold the rights to them and a percentage of the proceeds.
wallydubbs

Archmage
Archmage

Forum Language: English (United States)
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Maurice76 » Thursday December 6th, 2018 2:25pm

I guess the question is now, is Moon Design going to do anything with the brand anymore at all? I mean, owning the IP is one thing, but putting it on the shelf just to collect dust instead of polishing the game and releasing new content again? And then moan about someone else trying to create something that infringes on the IP?

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Slain a measly Goblin! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Smashed a massive Gargoyle!
Maurice76

High Mage
High Mage

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby wallydubbs » Thursday December 6th, 2018 4:12pm

In Trademark language HeroQuest is just a name; what they do with it can be completely different then its origin. Much like when Milton Bradley first released the Elf Quest Pack; the term "Elf Quest" was already trademarked by Warp Graphics, they were sued and forced to change it to "Quest Pack for the Elf." Despite the fact that there was no relation at all.
In like manner Moon Design has published several books in regards to roll playing. They use the words (or Trademark) "Hero Quest" as a mere sequel to Glorantha. Whilst a fantasy world still, it has no relation to the game this site is based off of. In other words "HeroQuest" is only words to them. They have no intention to reproduce the game, because it now applies to their game.
wallydubbs

Archmage
Archmage

Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Maurice76 » Thursday December 6th, 2018 4:58pm

That's a shame, to be honest.

As a streak of irony: Sierra released a game in 1989, who's original title was "Hero's Quest", but they failed to trademark it - which promptly saw Milton Bradley do so for their now famous boardgame. Sierra was forced to rename their game to "Quest for Glory" instead.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Slain a measly Goblin! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Smashed a massive Gargoyle!
Maurice76

High Mage
High Mage

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby wallydubbs » Thursday January 10th, 2019 9:28am

So I managed to track down this Skyknight (aka Rodney Perkins) and Richard Borg on BoardGameGeek. Skyknight claims to have the dwarf quest pack, and Borg has confirmed that he worked on the project for the Wizard Quest pack. I'm not sure where Skyknight obtained the copy, I've only received one reply from him thus far, but he doesn't appear to be willing to talk. One site says he has friends in Hasbro, I've yet to ask him about it.

It doesn't appear to be trademark that's keeping them quiet, indeed it's a Non-Disclosure Agreement. Apparently while working on the project they were asked to sign one to prevent any leaks. However, for whatever reason I have yet to learn the project was cut short and/or never released to the public, binding them to this nondisclosure agreement.
Although Hasbro has given up on ever releasing it, even selling the Trademark, the NDA is still binding. Even though Hasbro has since moved on and wouldn't care if they did talk; some corporate exec could always be a dick for no good reason and wave legalities just because they can.

If any new information comes up I'll be sure to post it.

I've also obtained the mailing address of Don Kueker, the artist who actually made the drawings for Mage of the Mirror and the Wizard Quest pack... it's all the way in Missouri. He's got to be in his late 70's/early 80's by now. I'm considering writing a letter, but I'm not sure it'll get me anywhere. His contributions to the project wouldn't've gone beyond art... but I suppose getting samples pictures for the game would be a good form of showcase.
wallydubbs

Archmage
Archmage

Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Maurice76 » Thursday January 10th, 2019 11:54am

wallydubbs wrote:I've also obtained the mailing address of Don Kueker, the artist who actually made the drawings for Mage of the Mirror and the Wizard Quest pack... it's all the way in Missouri. He's got to be in his late 70's/early 80's by now. I'm considering writing a letter, but I'm not sure it'll get me anywhere. His contributions to the project wouldn't've gone beyond art... but I suppose getting samples pictures for the game would be a good form of showcase.

I'd write him. If you never shoot, you'll never hit a mark, after all. Would be nice if he'd respond :).

Rewards:
Maurice76

High Mage
High Mage

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby mitchiemasha » Thursday January 10th, 2019 2:45pm

Yes write! He'll either be "oh that again" or it'll be a nice surprise of something long forgotten.

Imagine learning of something you did such a long time ago still standing strong. Especially considering the prices those expansions get. He might not even know. What with all the projects he's probably been involved in, that art could of been a simple passing.

Rewards:
Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Prince
mitchiemasha

Halberdier
Halberdier

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby wallydubbs » Friday January 11th, 2019 8:18am

Alright, I'll write him a letter tonight when I get off work.

Would anybody like to add input on what to say to him?
wallydubbs

Archmage
Archmage

Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby lestodante » Friday January 11th, 2019 3:03pm

yes, me! Sayd him that I have technology to scan and 3D print the prototypes he has.
Because he wanted to make normal size figures from the 4ups he has. He will understand.

Rewards:
Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
lestodante

Crossbowman
Crossbowman

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

PreviousNext

Return to The Frozen Horror