• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Failed to playtest

Discuss Quests, Cards, Monsters etc, from the Barbarian Quest Pack: The Frozen Horror.

Re: Failed to playtest

Postby lestodante » November 12th, 2018, 10:24 am

wallydubbs wrote:look at America's Dwarven Forge in Keller's Keep and tell me how to get into Room F.

the treasure chest doesn't really block the access to the secret door. It can be moved away so the heroes can pass in the hidden corridor F.

Rewards:
Wizard of Zargon Group MemberParticipated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Participated in two (2) Miniature Exchanges. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
lestodante

Yeti
Yeti

Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group MemberScribes Group MemberChampion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Postby wallydubbs » November 12th, 2018, 2:27 pm

lestodante wrote:
wallydubbs wrote:look at America's Dwarven Forge in Keller's Keep and tell me how to get into Room F.

the treasure chest doesn't really block the access to the secret door. It can be moved away so the heroes can pass in the hidden corridor F.

My point was that it wasn't in the European version and some people had issues with it. I understand Quest 4: Prince Magnus' Gold set in place a rule for moving chests, but this question was posted by someone in Keller's Keep.

Rewards:
Wizard of Zargon Group Member
wallydubbs

Halberdier
Halberdier

Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby benvoliothefirst » November 13th, 2018, 7:47 am

Although to be fair, just about every change I've seen from the UK to US editions was for the best, including tougher monsters and the layouts of cards and quests, etc.
wickedmetal.blogspot.com <--I paint HeroQuest!
My players' monthly game results
Mods I Use:
Base Quests in four difficulty steps by Anderas
Random Events by Jacob Busby (pg.5)
Karlen's Circlet by AerynB/drathe/sajungzak
Heartfelt thanks to all of you who have worked to enrich the world of HeroQuest!
Goblin-King wrote:When life gives you lemons, squeeze those lemons into your eyes, enter a berserker rage and punch life in the face!

Rewards:
Participated in a Miniature Exchange. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
benvoliothefirst

Necromancer
Necromancer

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Anderas » November 13th, 2018, 8:24 am

benvoliothefirst wrote:Although to be fair, just about every change I've seen from the UK to US editions was for the best, including tougher monsters and the layouts of cards and quests, etc.

You say that because you're american :D

Certainly, I can give in that the changes make it easier for production. And that the monster stats are better. But... no equipment cards? Look at those model bases! naaah... :lol:

Rewards:
Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Anderas
NOT Andreas!

Polar Warbear
Polar Warbear

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member
Champion Group Member

Postby wallydubbs » November 13th, 2018, 10:46 am

benvoliothefirst wrote:Although to be fair, just about every change I've seen from the UK to US editions was for the best, including tougher monsters and the layouts of cards and quests, etc.

I do have to agree with you on the part about tougher monsters. It seemed ridiculous that they'd give the gargoyle 1BP. The European version was more like a dungeon explore rather a dungeon crawl.
Perhaps this is why I find "The Trial" too difficult for a 1st quest. It's doable when you can kill the gargoyle and chaos warriors with not so much as a papercut... for some reason I'm thinking of Smaug (from the Hobbit) when I say this...

However i can't really agree with giving an Ice Gremlin 3 BP, these guys are supposed to be roughly the size of goblins.
We also have ogres with 10 BP... and so we've come full circle back to a failed playtest. They would've caught this...

Rewards:
wallydubbs

Halberdier
Halberdier

Usergroups:

Postby mitchiemasha » November 13th, 2018, 6:36 pm

Model bases. NO
Equipment Cards. NO.
Falling block traps. NO.
Talisman. NO.
Wording to spells. NO
All expansions. NO
Quest Book. NO
Rule Book. NO
Character Cards. NO
Character Sheet. NO

Body Points. YES

Probably a lot more too... So I clearly disagree to that statement!

Edit: Oh! wait! "GAME SYSTEM", "HIGH ADVENTURE IN A WORLD OF MAGIC". Say no more!!!

Rewards:
Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Prince
mitchiemasha

Halberdier
Halberdier

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby lestodante » November 15th, 2018, 5:37 pm

Prince Mitchiemasha, you forgot to mention:
Chaos Spells Cards. YES
Don't forget that Ogres are EUR but they have the worst base. Expansions, are 4 in US and 4 in EU, just 2 are the same (KK & WL) while bigger ones are differents.
But guys, we are going off topic...

Rewards:
Wizard of Zargon Group MemberParticipated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Participated in two (2) Miniature Exchanges. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
lestodante

Yeti
Yeti

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby mitchiemasha » November 15th, 2018, 9:14 pm

I'll give you that one.

Rewards:
Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Prince
mitchiemasha

Halberdier
Halberdier

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby wallydubbs » November 18th, 2018, 12:12 pm

lestodante wrote:Prince Mitchiemasha, you forgot to mention:
Chaos Spells Cards. YES
Don't forget that Ogres are EUR but they have the worst base. Expansions, are 4 in US and 4 in EU, just 2 are the same (KK & WL) while bigger ones are differents.
But guys, we are going off topic...

I kinda forgot what the topic was...
Oh right, failed playtesting.
I finished up Mage of the Mirror over the weekend and made same suggestive results to even out the gameplay in another thread under that expansion.
But I also tried the first quest of Frozen Horror twice but that didn't go well either time.
My girlfriend went in as the female barbarian alone, uneqipped. This one really came down to luck of the dice. 2 Skeletons as the wandering monster was a bit too much. She lost half her body points fighting wandering monsters. She played the game wandering the halls first, finding the external layout of the board without exploring the rooms. At that point the first room she went into was the one with the icey floor and crossbow man. She got the crossbow, out tge door, down the hall, turned the corner and had her Broadsword swollen by the ice gremlin, who ran away and it ran out of her line of sight before she could shoot it down with the crossbow. She managed to beat the 2 Skeletons in the hall (wandering monsters) only losing 1 BP. But when she came to the ice gremlin in the last hall she kept firing at him with the crossbow but failed to land a hit. The Ice Gremlin continued running after her, attacking with 2 dice and eventually killed her that way. It was a collosol failure.
We tried again and this time she did a bit better on die roll, even managing to land 3 hits on the Yeti... But oh no, the Yet I grabbed her in the bear hug and there was no way out.
We'll play again next week and try to work out the bugs. I'd suggest getting rid of the yeti and replacing it with just a standard orc.

Rewards:
wallydubbs

Halberdier
Halberdier

Usergroups:

Postby lestodante » November 18th, 2018, 1:58 pm

wallydubbs wrote:My girlfriend went in as the female barbarian alone, uneqipped...

Do not send a woman to do a man's job! :barbarian: :lol:

Rewards:
lestodante

Yeti
Yeti

Hero:
Usergroups:

PreviousNext

Return to The Frozen Horror