• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

New Ideas for my Wizard expansion. Any help?

The secret catacombs where members gather to discuss Quests in progress and contribute to community Quest projects.

New Ideas for my Wizard expansion. Any help?

Postby mo123813 » June 21st, 2010, 12:19 am

Hi all! I am currently working on a wizard expansion pack! So, I'm gonna need some feedback, good or bad. Please take the time to check out my ideas. I was racking these babies up when I was waiting to get my seat at P.F. Chang's.

In the monsters department, I was thinking about adding a hobgoblin with these stats:
Attack- 3(2) Def-2 Mind-3 Body-2 Move-6
Also, they are equipped with a boomerang. Here is some back info about the boomerang:
When thrown, the thrower may choose the path of the boomerang, (Which squares it passes) as long as it is heading forwards. It may go as far as 7 squares. Anyone who is hit by it has to defend against 3 attack dice. On the thrower's next turn, the boomerang has returned to them. But, anyone in the thrower's line of sight must defend against yet another 3 attack dice, since it's still flying.

Alright. Now for the Mage's of Zargon. In most quests, there will be a an Earth Mage, Fire Mage, Water Mage, Air Mage, and Chaos Mage with these stats:
Attack-2 Def-3 Mind-6 Body-4 Move-8

The Mages of the elements will each be equipped 2 random spells of their elements (Yes, the ones that the Wizard Hero is using.) I will have a reference page in the quest book so that Zargon doesn't have to ask the wizard to see what the spell does again. For the Chaos Mages, they are equipped with these two spells:

Crumble Earth- The spell caster of this spells creates a hole in the tile right in front of them. It may not be passed for the rest of the quest.

Chaos Bolt- All creatures in the caster's line of sight must defend against 3 attack dice to their mind points.

Now, time for spells for the Wizard. I had the idea of giving the Elemental Mages (Ha, I like that name; just came up with it while typing) an additional custom made (By yours truly) from their element, and if the Wizard defeats one of those Mages, they may then have the option of using that new spell for an exchange of one of their old ones from that set. I thought adding a whole new set of spells would be way to many spells for the wizard. Maybe even making him over powered. Now, they would have to work for their reward.

Here's some ideas I had about Quest Bosses. One boss is a group of DoupleGangers. They turn into an exact copy of one of the heroes. I thought that would be awesome, since the heroes would have to rely on their wits to beat their evil twins.
Another idea I had was a magician that makes all of the heroes change roles; therefor change characters temporarily. I think that would be AWESOME, since that way they can feel how it feels to be in that player's shoes. Also, it will help refresh the minds of the players, since they ALWAYS play as their chosen hero. Maybe it can be a curse....or a new trap....

Thanks for reading! Please leave comments!
Check out my new character: Halfling! I promise you will consider using it!
viewtopic.php?f=35&t=405
Remember, if you run out of dice,
3/4/5 = skulls
1/2 = white shields
6 = black shields
mo123813

Ogre Chieftain
Ogre Chieftain

Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Re: New Ideas for my Wizard expansion. Any help?

Postby drathe » June 21st, 2010, 1:15 am

mo123813 wrote:Here is some back info about the boomerang:
When thrown, the thrower may choose the path of the boomerang, (Which squares it passes) as long as it is heading forwards. It may go as far as 7 squares. Anyone who is hit by it has to defend against 3 attack dice. On the thrower's next turn, the boomerang has returned to them. But, anyone in the thrower's line of sight must defend against yet another 3 attack dice, since it's still flying.

That boomerang would also make a fantastic weapon for a Hero. As a Hero weapon, I would make it's range the roll of two Red Die. You never know how far it'll go. Sometimes you throw a bit harder than others.

mo123813 wrote:Now, time for spells for the Wizard. I had the idea of giving the Elemental Mages (Ha, I like that name; just came up with it while typing) an additional custom made (By yours truly) from their element, and if the Wizard defeats one of those Mages, they may then have the option of using that new spell for an exchange of one of their old ones from that set. I thought adding a whole new set of spells would be way to many spells for the wizard. Maybe even making him over powered. Now, they would have to work for their reward.

Is it your intention to have this new additional spell be a fourth spell in an elemental group that the Wizard may choose from for every Quest after it is obtained? I like it either way, but really like it if'n it's a new fourth spell to always choose from.

mo123813 wrote:Another idea I had was a magician that makes all of the heroes change roles; therefor change characters temporarily. I think that would be AWESOME, since that way they can feel how it feels to be in that player's shoes. Also, it will help refresh the minds of the players, since they ALWAYS play as their chosen hero. Maybe it can be a curse....or a new trap....

This idea is the whole basis for an upcoming (eventually) Quest I've titled Out of Body, Out of Mind. It would actually make a great Chaos Spell. You should add it in as either a spell, or unique curse a boss can inflict on Heroes for a number of turns, or until they break it with MP rolls.

Can't wait to hear more! :D

Rewards:
Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Wrote an article for the Blog. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in a Miniature Exchange. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer
Lord
drathe
The Bastiferous!

Innkeeper
Innkeeper

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Innkeepers Group Member Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member Scribes Group Member

Postby mo123813 » June 21st, 2010, 11:07 am

I did plan for the boomerang to be a hero's weapon, so I decided to add it in a weapon's rack.
For the spells, yes, I did mean it as a fourth spell in it's set. :)
Im still deciding over it being a chaos spell, or a trap...

I was playing with the idea of the wizard using chaos spells from the Heroquest Game System...but i don't know. It wouldn't be fair to the other players....

Now, I need to work on treasure, traps, tiles, artifacts, and potions. Ill let you all know how it goes.
viewtopic.php?f=35&t=405
3/4/5 = skulls
1/2 = white shields
6 = black shields
mo123813

Ogre Chieftain
Ogre Chieftain

Usergroups:

Postby drathe » June 21st, 2010, 1:36 pm

I think the idea of the Wizard having the option to go dark and use Chaos Spells would be cool. I say let them use some in addition to what they already have, but before casting a Chaos Spell, roll one Combat Die for each Mind Point. For every Skull rolled, they lose that many mind points.

Rewards:
Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Wrote an article for the Blog. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in a Miniature Exchange. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer
Lord
drathe
The Bastiferous!

Innkeeper
Innkeeper

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Usergroups:
Innkeepers Group Member Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member Scribes Group Member

Postby mo123813 » June 21st, 2010, 2:25 pm

Oh cool! Since the evil of the Chaos spell might corrupt them! Maybe in the quest, they find old sacred books on dark magic! Awesome! I think I'm gonna try that out...
viewtopic.php?f=35&t=405
3/4/5 = skulls
1/2 = white shields
6 = black shields
mo123813

Ogre Chieftain
Ogre Chieftain

Usergroups:

Postby torilen » June 21st, 2010, 3:16 pm

I like that idea too - but would they gain the mind points back over time, or would they have to drink a potion or something??

if they have to drink a potion or something, you would need to make sure you account for that in any treasure given.
If it comes back over time - how long - losing the mind points for that entire quest would be kind of harsh, since it would
effect the entire game at that point. Maybe they could gain one mind point back for every non-chaos spell they cast. That
could work out well, yeah?

Rewards:
Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Wrote an article for the Blog. Created a Hot Topic.
torilen

Ice Gremlin
Ice Gremlin

Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member Scribes Group Member

Postby mo123813 » June 21st, 2010, 3:39 pm

That's a fabulous idea! Yes, that sounds nice. Also, if they hit 0, they become zombies.
viewtopic.php?f=35&t=405
3/4/5 = skulls
1/2 = white shields
6 = black shields
mo123813

Ogre Chieftain
Ogre Chieftain

Usergroups:

Postby DragonHead » June 21st, 2010, 4:03 pm

Hey that's funny i have deigned a mana renewal potion that you can buy and a boomerand as though not as powerful still pretty good.

The Mana renewal potion renews all mind poitns and the boomerang. Has a six square range that cna go in one direction it attacks everything within the range with one attack dice (i was thinking of making it two attack dice) and then when it comes back to your hand it attacks all of them again with one (maybe two) I also have lot's of weapons and new spells for heroes mostly just the wizard but some for my new dwarf charecter: The dwarven mystic.

What would the storyline be anyway, have you made it yet :?: :D
Clairclaw, The witch lord even The Terror King and Zargon bow before me, part before my will, my power.I am all mighty, I control the universe,the mage of all, the destroyer of nations,I am the creator, I am Dragonhead!!!!!
DragonHead

Mummy
Mummy

Usergroups:

Postby mo123813 » June 21st, 2010, 4:09 pm

I still need to work on the story line. So far, two sorcerers (male and female) claim to be the children of Zargon, and cause havoc and crap against the heroes. That's all I'll mention for now...
viewtopic.php?f=35&t=405
3/4/5 = skulls
1/2 = white shields
6 = black shields
mo123813

Ogre Chieftain
Ogre Chieftain

Usergroups:

Postby mo123813 » June 21st, 2010, 6:11 pm

If I tell too much, would that ruin the chances for everyone else who might want to play my quest and experience the story themselves?
viewtopic.php?f=35&t=405
3/4/5 = skulls
1/2 = white shields
6 = black shields
mo123813

Ogre Chieftain
Ogre Chieftain

Usergroups:

Next