• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

An Idea for Quest Project

The secret catacombs where members gather to discuss Quests in progress and contribute to community Quest projects.

An Idea for Quest Project

Postby torilen » February 12th, 2010, 5:29 pm

So, I talked to drathe, and I've read through the older posts on this...and I have an idea I'd like to toss out there.
I made a suggestion that, for the Quest Project, maybe we could start fresh and new with the story line, and focus on
the world of HeroQuest.
Now, I have at least 10 years behind me in the fantasy world building field (as a hobby - but it takes up a LOT of time, trust me)
I was thinking, I could do one of three things:
1 - I have gone through all the published games and made notes on all the people, places, and things - I could write up a detailed
history of events for the world that has been published - an include a map
**the only problem with this - there is already a map out there for the world - done by game workshops - honestly, though, it is nothing
like the world created in the HQ expansions
2 - I could start a new part of the world already created - it looks like all of the stuff in the HQ games take place on the eastern side of the
world's edge mountains - I could create the western side of the mountains - would allow us to still use a lot of the same evil guys, but
would give a good, fresh start to things
3 - I could create a whole new world - the map by games workshop shows several places across the sea - I could make one of these - it
would have to have new bad guys and all, new history and everything - not a problem though - would only take a while to put some
intro stuff together for everyone.

As I told drathe, I have plenty of time when I'm at work (because of my job - I'm lucky like that), so really - none of these options would
be a problem for me - unless work picked up a LOT for me, which I don't see happening any time soon.

So, if you would, give me some input on this. I'll check back often, and based on what I see, I'll get to work. drathe, I'll keep you in the loop
for this (unless you want me to point things to Phoenix, because you're busy), since, you know, this was your idea to begin with.

thanks everyone,
Matthew

Rewards:
Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Wrote an article for the Blog. Created a Hot Topic.
torilen

Ice Gremlin
Ice Gremlin

Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member Scribes Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Re: An Idea for Quest Project

Postby Phoenix » February 13th, 2010, 1:05 am

I believe that option number two is the better option. Use an existing portion of the GW world map, just expand on a relatively un-mentioned place. I, personally, don't like the thought of throwing too many 'new' things at people. Keep the original cast of baddies (maybe alter a few stats to technically create a new monster, e.g., Black Orcs, Night Goblins, etc.) but not make it to where people need new miniatures. This will draw in more of the "I just have the basic game" people and yet, perhaps still intrigue the "I've have three copies of each published game and an endless supply of miniatures" people.

It would also be easier to include some of the named villian. A few ideas off the top of my head:

- How Verag, the Gargoyle, was introduced to the service of Zargon (a prequel Quest/QP)
- Ulag's rise to power
- How the Witch Lord became the Witch Lord (an introduction to Lichdom...)
- The wedding of the Witch Lord and Kessandria
- The birth of Prince Magnus
- The building of the Skaven empire
- The climb and fall of Wardoz

just to name a few...

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic.
The Great
Phoenix

Innkeeper
Innkeeper

Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Innkeepers Group Member Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby drathe » February 13th, 2010, 2:40 am

The use of a world map to start from was Phoenix' idea, doing a Quest Pack in the same vein of Cronicles of Sir Ragnar [choose-your-own-adventure style] with an open story revolving around the HeroQuest World was your [Torilen's] idea.

I'm also putting my vote in for option two. It's a big wide world out there full of mysteries, monsters, Heroes and Villains alike. This will also leave the original map for other Quest Designers. Those who like to stick with the places they already know. And as Phoenix mention about new monsters and such, keep in mind the folks you would like to play the Quests. Many aren't willing to run out and grab a substitute miniature for new monsters. Even Milton Bradley tweaked stats to create new or altered versions of their Miniatures. Stone Warriors with added defence... and how many different Gargoyle stats exist from the Game System through to all the expansions? For miniatures, it's best to stick with what's available. Another option is to use a new miniature, but provide an optional in-game substitute. Like Dragons could be Demons, using Gargoyle models. A Frost Beast could be a Polar Wearbear with new stats.

Rewards:
Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Wrote an article for the Blog. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in a Miniature Exchange. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer
Lord
drathe
The Bastiferous!

Innkeeper
Innkeeper

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Usergroups:
Innkeepers Group Member Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member Scribes Group Member

Postby torilen » February 13th, 2010, 1:01 pm

Okay...one vote for option 2, one vote for option 3.
After reading what Phoenix said, I'm thinking maybe option 2 would be a good one, too. Could leave the original map for other designers, but could
open up a new part of the world without throwing too many "new" things in. Don't want to overwhelm new players.

And, as far as new monsters and baddies...don't worry. If I do put in any new monsters, I'll just do it like MB did...use old figures and just simply
change the stats for that monster or person.

Phoenix...its funny, some of the stuff you mentioned that could be included in this new detailed history. I went through all of those published games,
writing down notes of stuff that could be included...and never even considered the wedding of witch lord to kessandria, or how verag came to be in
service of zargon, or the introduction to lichdom. You're awesome man.

Thanks for the input guys. I'll probably get started on this next week. And drathe, depending on how much time I have and what sort of motivation
I have, I may just go ahead and start working on another portion of the world...maybe an island or something like that...also.
Really...I have a LOT of time on my hands at work, at times. Kind of sad, really.

Rewards:
Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Wrote an article for the Blog. Created a Hot Topic.
torilen

Ice Gremlin
Ice Gremlin

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby drathe » February 13th, 2010, 6:17 pm

torilen wrote:Okay...one vote for option 2, one vote for option 3.

My mistake. Two was the one I wanted to vote for.

Rewards:
Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Wrote an article for the Blog. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in a Miniature Exchange. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer
Lord
drathe
The Bastiferous!

Innkeeper
Innkeeper

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Usergroups:
Innkeepers Group Member Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member Scribes Group Member

Postby torilen » February 15th, 2010, 2:14 pm

Okay, here for your approval - I went through the original HQ game, kellar's keep, and RotWL, and put together a rough timeline
of when things might have happened. You'll notice, under "Present" - the first set is from the original game, the second set is from
KK, and the third set is from RotWL.
Everything under "Past", "Way Past" and "Way Way Past" is basically made up by me, but it sort of makes sense.
If you want, I can also add in the other packs - Elf Quests, Barbarian Quests, Ogre Hordes, and Wizards of Morcar.
Also, if you like what you see, I can actually go through and add in actual dates and times.

Now - my thought - you'll notice from RotWL, it is a possibility that both Kessandria and Skulmar escape - this could lead to the
further expansion of the world we've been talking about - those two, along with Zargon, feel it would be better to try and conquer
the east side of the World Edge Mountains - I've also included a rough timeline for that as well, though nothing under "Present" yet.

Oh yeah - where you see ** before an entry - this means it happens at the same time as the item(s) just before it.

Enjoy

WAY WAY PAST
lorebook written
orc's bane created
spirit blade created
Wands of Magic created
Borin's Armor created
spell rings created
**fire ring created
Time of King Agrain
Melar created talisman of lore and his castle of mystery
King Agrain creates halls of vision
Ollar created castle of mine of fake gold
dwarves build karak varn
King Belorn builds Great Citadel of Karak Varn

WAY PAST
Grin discovers rich vein of gold - Grin's Crag named
zargon becomes apprentice of mentor
zargon flees mentor after learning magic in secret
zargon attacks dwarves - only karak varn stands
4 heroes help empire fight zargon (rogar, durgin, landril, telor)
Zargon defeated first time - flees to northern chaos wastes
Zargon defeated second time - flees across sea of claws (now waits to strike)
temple where spirit blade rests is abandonded and hidden
barak tor built
zargon enlists witchlord into service
zargon enlists borokk into service, trains him personally - extremely interested
in borokk for his ability to attack the mind
Witchlord creates special force - Spirit Riders
kalos given to witchlord (as gift for reuniting with kessandria)

PAST
orcs take up residence in halls of belorn
wardoz becomes emperor's personal mage
gragor is sent by zargon to orcs in halls or belorn, becomes their leader
grak born to ulag
zargon enlists velrag into service
zargon enlists Skulmar into service - he and witchlord agree to place him
in charge of Forgotten Legion
balur begins work with orcs of black mountain
Witchlord enlists gargoyle Bellthor into service
gulthor becomes leader of orc tribe in black mountains
ulag becomes leader of orc tribe

PRESENT
velrag lives in fellmar's tomb
sir ragnar captured, heroes must save
**death of ulag
Prince magnus send gold to emperor - gets stolen
talisman of lore rediscovered
heroes kidnapped by grak
**one of the wizard's cloak rediscovered
it is discovered that wardoz has succumbed to chaos
**Borin's armor is rediscovered
Wand of magic rediscovered
It is discovered that ollar's castle hides only fool's gold
**one of the ring of return rediscovered
First storm of barak tor - attempt to gain star of the west
**awakening of witchlord
**one of the wizard's staff rediscovered
spirit blade rediscovered
second storm of barak tor - supposed death of witchlord
**one of the spell ring rediscovered
waves of zargon's army attack emperor
emperor and his forces hole up in karak varn
ograk become orc captain and leads band of orcs into provinces
- after battles, return to residence near east gate of halls
of belorn

heroes venture forth to save emperor in karak varn
**some magical throwing daggers rediscovered
**one of the fire ring rediscovered
**more magical throwing daggers rediscovered
**heroes enter belorn's mine - first time anyone has entered mines
in hundreds of years
**death of borokk
**grin's crag rediscovered by heroes
**death of kenaron, captain of emperor's guard

discovered that witchlord is not dead
Spirit Riders are called back into service
**Borin's Armor and Orc's Bane destroyed forever
**4 Spirit Riders are killed
**heroes enter silent passages - hasn't been opened in thousands of years
**Bellthor is destroyed
**Forgotten Legion is unleashed
**Kessandria (is either killed or escapes)
**Witchlord is defeated - skulmar escapes with many of most powerful
spellbooks

==================================================================
West side of World Edge Mountains
WAY WAY PAST

WAY PAST
- just after zargon flees mentor with secrets of magic
**witchlord marries kessandria
- after zargon's second defeat
**witchlord begins experimentation with chaos magic
**witchlord tries creating new spell - goes wrong - kills kessandria
- zargon enlists witchlord, promising power - witchlord becomes Lich
- Witchlord creates special force - Spirit Riders
- witchlord learns of magic to give undeath to kessandria - the two or
reunited in their love

PAST

PRESENT

Rewards:
torilen

Ice Gremlin
Ice Gremlin

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby Phoenix » February 15th, 2010, 11:45 pm

I like it so far, but keep in mind by Quest Pack: "Return of the Witch Queen" don't want to go messing up my time line. That just wouldn't be cool!!! |_P

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic.
The Great
Phoenix

Innkeeper
Innkeeper

Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Innkeepers Group Member Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby torilen » February 16th, 2010, 12:16 am

Phoenix - I was just reading through your quest pack a bit, and realized this same point. I'll
fix things accordingly.

This leads me to a question - I suppose for either or both you and drathe:
Am I including the fan quests (quest packs) found on Ye Olde Inn? I can - it wouldn't be
much trouble for me. I just want to make sure I include everything I am supposed to
include.
drathe had said before, unless a quest specifically excludes anything, everything is fair game.
This was in response, however, to a question about the official published packs - I didn't mention
anything about fan quests at that time.

So, what would the verdict be?

OH - drathe - your quest, Heir to the Black Banner - where do you think that would fall?? Before
RotWQ, after RotWL? I think that would be a good place for it.
Also - I've added in your Prequel to Chronicles of Sir Ragnar - it'll appear in the next posting of the
timeline, along with all other fixes :)

thanks guys

Rewards:
torilen

Ice Gremlin
Ice Gremlin

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby torilen » February 16th, 2010, 3:50 am

drathe - Phoenix

I came up with a few things - if you wouldn't mind, when you get a chance, check out this website. It
offers a couple of additions for characters, and a few "official" additions to the armory. Let me know
what you think. I don't think they are overpowered or anything, and they seem to keep things simple,
only adding a few more options to the game.

Also - Phoenix - I thought I was good - you put me to shame! I looked through your Imperial Academy
expansion. That is absolutely amazing - high quality, well thought out, and still simple.
Can I suggest we make this an official publication to go with this Community Quest Project. I really
think it would add a lot to the game.

Also, I've been working on additional monsters that will HAVE TO HAVE some sort of leveling-up ideas
to go with the game in order to use them. You'll see those on the site also.

Again, when you get a chance, check it out. I appreciate it.
The Site is:
http://sites.google.com/site/thenewgame ... creation-1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Thanks guys

Rewards:
torilen

Ice Gremlin
Ice Gremlin

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby torilen » February 16th, 2010, 7:36 am

Hope I'm not overwhelming everyone with 3-4 posts in one night - it won't be a regular
habbit - just had a slow night here at work is all.
I've looked through everything, and it seems that all of the bad guys are thoroughly killed
off throughout all the various quests/quest packs - especially when we add in those created
by Phoenix and drathe.
As such, I'm kind of starting a new thread with the lands on the East Side of the World
Edge Mountains. I'm still using Mentor (at first) and Zargon, and there will be mention of a
few others (Witchlord, Kessandria, Skulmar, etc.) at first, so as to ease the transition
into this new portion of the HeroQuest world. Zargon and Chaos will still be the
main players after a bit, but that will probably be it. Hope that is okay with everyone.

That said - here is a rough draft of the intro to the first quest pack introducing the
New portion of the world. No name yet - running a few ideas through the ol' noggin, though.

Enjoy:
The old man known as Exeter Chambers walks into the tavern,
moves carefully and slowly to your table, and sits as his
old bones creak and pop loudly. He orders a drink and waits
for it quietly. Only after he takes the first sip does
he speak:
"I thank you for meeting me here. I am sorry to drag you
out of your homes, away from your family and friends. I
have, however, received dreadful news from a companion of
mine, an old sage named Mentor, living within the Empire
on the eastern side of the World Edge Mountains. Apparently,
over the last few years, the forces of Chaos have been
mounting one assault after another, led by Zargon and his
evil minions." He takes another drink from his ale.
"I see you recognize the name Zargon. You are correct in
your memories - he is one and the same as that mysterious
force that laid siege to our lands many years ago. For
reasons unknown, he and his followers decided to take a
different course, allowing us to catch our breath and
recover from the great losses we suffered in those times.
"I've searched through hundreds of pages of the ancient
MythScrolls and found many references to the names
Mentor has mentioned to me in his letters. It seems that
the followers of Chaos followed Zargon from our lands
into the Western Lands. As such, it would make sense that
those followers left evil artifacts hidden within our
lands, awaiting the time when they would be dug up out
of the earth and used against once again. We must find
those items before the minions of Chaos find them."

The first quest:
Graveyard of the Servants
"The first place I thought to look was a small plot of
land known as the Graveyard of the Servants. In older
times, this is where those who served Chaos were buried,
so that they would have a strong supply of undead hosts
to raise when the need arose. Indeed, the MythScrolls
speak of an ancient tome called __________ that was most
certainly hidden here, under the guard of several
mummies descendent from noble birth.
We must hurry to find this book, though, for my spies
have reported that the vampire _________ is searching
for the very same piece, even as we speak."
**if players take more than 15 turns getting into mausoleum,
they will hear loud crash - vampire has found way into
catacombs
**the entire portion outside the mausoleum is open graveyard -
for purposes of searching, it can be split into quarters, based
on 4 sections of the game board
**each turn, the Evil Wizard can choose at least 1 grave site
within each quarter, and may place a skeleton or zombie next to
that grave site - roll 1d6, 1-3 is skeleton, 4-6 is zombie

**catacombs underneath, this is where book will be found -
entrance caves in - there will be a choice of one of three
ways to get out - depending on which they choose first,
second, and third, things will be different at each one.

**next quest for any will be tunnels getting there
**one will be small ruined temple where witchlord
married kessandria
**one will be ruined forgotten tower - was witchlord's first
**one will be decrepit run-down cottage - was kessandria's
childhood home

See - so basically, it is kind of what drathe is looking for, I think - give the players options about
where to go next (in this case, after the second quest, they get the option) - their choice will
determine what happens next in the game, and how difficult other portions of the quest
are for them - and possibly if they even reach their goal
In this case, if they don't reach their end goal, you may have to have to sets of quest packs
thereafter - one for those who DID reach their goal, and one for those who DIDN'T
And for this first quest pack - it brings back witch lord and kessandria (in name, at least)

What do you think?

Rewards:
torilen

Ice Gremlin
Ice Gremlin

Hero:
Usergroups:

Next

Return to Adventurer's Guild