Page 1 of 2

Zoom games (Feb-April '21)

PostPosted: February 16th, 2021, 6:43 pm
by Kurgan
The other topic was getting a bit bogged down (more of an instructional thread). I am interested in playing games live via Zoom.

While I reside in the midwestern US, if you have a decent internet connection, we can play.

Ideally, you have your own Hero Quest set (min: game system) but if not, I have a full set with all expansions and we would be playing over Zoom with multiple views (I use OBS, you don't have to have it) to see everything with an assortment of webcams. I've done it now with three different households and it has worked pretty well.

A slight extra level of patience is required just because you will either be watching me set it up, or we will be matching our two sets as we play.

I am typically available each week on Friday and Saturday, but could start as early as 5pm Central Standard Time on a Thursday, and would want to wrap up by 10:30pm CST on Sat.

I am currently using the free version of Zoom, so that means if you do too, we have virtually unlimited time to play, but if there are three computers connected we would have a 40 minute time limit unless you happen to have a paid version.

Whether I GM or not, I am up for it.


PM me if interested! I try to check the Inn at least once a day. This coming weekend Feb 19-20 I probably can't do it, but otherwise I'm open.

Re: Zoom games

PostPosted: March 27th, 2021, 11:51 am
by Kurgan
When I launch Zoom it says that Basic (Free) Zoom is unlimited due to the global pandemic...

Re: Zoom games

PostPosted: March 27th, 2021, 7:14 pm
by lestodante
interesting. Although Tabletop Simulator is still the best solution I guess.

Re: Zoom games

PostPosted: March 27th, 2021, 8:49 pm
by Kurgan
Do you have windows 10? I haven't been able to get blasted TTS to work since I "upgraded" to that OS. It won't even load up fully!

I guess I am supposed to disable my virus scanner and firewall and uninstall then reinstall visual C++ and/or various Virtual machines or something? It was very confusing.

Re: Zoom games

PostPosted: March 28th, 2021, 1:44 am
by iKarith
Kurgan wrote:Do you have windows 10? I haven't been able to get blasted TTS to work since I "upgraded" to that OS. It won't even load up fully!

I guess I am supposed to disable my virus scanner and firewall and uninstall then reinstall visual C++ and/or various Virtual machines or something? It was very confusing.


Windows 10? Oh heavens no…

Code: Select all
             ...-:::::-...                 tjcarter@aki
          .-MMMMMMMMMMMMMMM-.              ------------
      .-MMMM`..-:::::::-..`MMMM-.          OS: Linux Mint 20.1 x86_64
    .:MMMM.:MMMMMMMMMMMMMMM:.MMMM:.        Kernel: 5.8.0-44-generic
   -MMM-M---MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM.MMM-       Uptime: 18 days, 18 hours, 45 mins
 `:MMM:MM`  :MMMM:....::-...-MMMM:MMM:`    Packages: 4793 (dpkg), 46 (flatpak)
 :MMM:MMM`  :MM:`  ``    ``  `:MMM:MMM:    Shell: bash 5.0.17
.MMM.MMMM`  :MM.  -MM.  .MM-  `MMMM.MMM.   Resolution: 1920x1080
:MMM:MMMM`  :MM.  -MM-  .MM:  `MMMM-MMM:   DE: Cinnamon
:MMM:MMMM`  :MM.  -MM-  .MM:  `MMMM:MMM:   WM: Mutter (Muffin)
:MMM:MMMM`  :MM.  -MM-  .MM:  `MMMM-MMM:   WM Theme: Mint-Y-Dark-Sand-Transpanel (Mint-Y-Dark)
.MMM.MMMM`  :MM:--:MM:--:MM:  `MMMM.MMM.   Theme: Mint-Y-Dark [GTK2/3]
 :MMM:MMM-  `-MMMMMMMMMMMM-`  -MMM-MMM:    Icons: Mint-X-Dark [GTK2/3]
  :MMM:MMM:`                `:MMM:MMM:     Terminal: gnome-terminal
   .MMM.MMMM:--------------:MMMM.MMM.      CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 3200G (4) @ 3.600GHz
     '-MMMM.-MMMMMMMMMMMMMMM-.MMMM-'       GPU: AMD ATI Radeon RX 470/480/570/570X/580/580X/590
       '.-MMMM``--:::::--``MMMM-.'         Memory: 24794MiB / 32097MiB
            '-MMMMMMMMMMMMM-'
               ``-:::::-``                                         
                                                                   


I live in Linux country. On a quiet night, you can hear Windows bluescreen. Debian developer 1998-200…3? 5? Something like that. I run Mint these days because they undo most of Ubuntu's most egregious flaws/errors, because we use it at work (FreeGeek, we provide free mostly Linux computers to kids in school, non-profits, etc. and sell some to the general public), and because I've got better things to do than literally update my computer twice a day to keep up with Debian unstable anymore. :D

TTS isn't as nice on Linux as Windows or Mac, but I have access to the Nuance embedded voices (so the same Tom and Samantha you'd get on an iPhone, for example) on my desktop. They CAN sound better, but the mobile HQ versions are a good compromise between size and resources anyway. I tend to use TTS for select-text-"read this" most of the time. I otherwise navigate using large fonts, which works better than you might think.

Re: Zoom games

PostPosted: March 28th, 2021, 6:31 am
by lestodante
iKarith your posts are usually hard to understand to me :oops:

Re: Zoom games

PostPosted: March 28th, 2021, 9:47 am
by iKarith
lestodante wrote:iKarith your posts are usually hard to understand to me :oops:


Sorry—some details of :geek: stuff has gotten scattered all over the place lately. Partly because I have to do some :geek: things if I want to participate in some parts of the hobby (like painting or playing online…) And part of the reason I didn't use this forum back then was I didn't know how to modify the colors to be less uncomfortable to read. Now I can, but since I won't have my copy of HQ for at least a week or so, I'm doing stuff I can do. And it's all nerdy AF, sorry. :(

I think stuff I'm working on will ultimately be pretty cool, but I realize the audience for some of the details is limited.

Re: Zoom games

PostPosted: March 29th, 2021, 10:47 pm
by Kurgan
Happy for you that you've got a copy of HQ coming. Maybe we can play some time, if you want!

Re: Zoom games

PostPosted: March 30th, 2021, 12:49 am
by iKarith
Kurgan wrote:Happy for you that you've got a copy of HQ coming. Maybe we can play some time, if you want!


I'll have two. hopefully as soon as next week. I mean, I'll only need one of them to play the base quests, and I'm probably really best to start off with Maze or Trial and remind myself of the rules like a guy who hasn't played the game in eight years. Y'know, because I haven't. :D

It'd be great if we can get others who haven't played in ages or are even new to the game to play! I'm looking forward to it, it's going to be fun! If we can get a returning and new player's group together, it's going to be amazing!

Re: Zoom games

PostPosted: April 18th, 2021, 9:44 am
by Kurgan
Played Quest 7: The Lost Wizard with three total people (one of our players had to leave partway through but it was a good time nonetheless). Two people got two heroes each. We got a late start and due to glitches I could only show one camera at a time instead of the usual three [Edit: solved the issue... OBS wants the cameras plugged into the same USB ports every time or else scenes need to be re-synchronized!]

It was brought to my attention that I've been interpreting "see" wrong all this time. Yes after all of those discussion threads, I missed the simple fact that you can do off axis (so to speak) targeting with spells AND ranged weapons (but not anywhere in the room as in the EU rules).

The quest took a long time, but mainly because we were chit-chatting in between and because this time we actually played it to the end (back to the stairs) instead of ending once the main objective was complete. So it was cool to see how a complete quest can go.

The heroes won! :barbarian: :dwarf: :elf: :wizard: (and with basic starting gear, too!)