• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Zoom games (Feb-April '21)

Search the treads of your local area, introduce yourself and get to know players near you. Use these rooms to discuss and plan your next game night.

Zoom games (Feb-April '21)

Postby Kurgan » February 16th, 2021, 6:43 pm

The other topic was getting a bit bogged down (more of an instructional thread). I am interested in playing games live via Zoom.

While I reside in the midwestern US, if you have a decent internet connection, we can play.

Ideally, you have your own Hero Quest set (min: game system) but if not, I have a full set with all expansions and we would be playing over Zoom with multiple views (I use OBS, you don't have to have it) to see everything with an assortment of webcams. I've done it now with three different households and it has worked pretty well.

A slight extra level of patience is required just because you will either be watching me set it up, or we will be matching our two sets as we play.

I am typically available each week on Friday and Saturday, but could start as early as 5pm Central Standard Time on a Thursday, and would want to wrap up by 10:30pm CST on Sat.

I am currently using the free version of Zoom, so that means if you do too, we have virtually unlimited time to play, but if there are three computers connected we would have a 40 minute time limit unless you happen to have a paid version.

Whether I GM or not, I am up for it.

PM me if interested! I try to check the Inn at least once a day. This coming weekend Feb 19-20 I probably can't do it, but otherwise I'm open.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Kurgan on June 13th, 2021, 8:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rewards:
Destroyed a Zombie!
Channeler
Kurgan

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Scribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberChampion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Re: Zoom games

Postby Kurgan » March 27th, 2021, 11:51 am

When I launch Zoom it says that Basic (Free) Zoom is unlimited due to the global pandemic...

Rewards:
Destroyed a Zombie!
Channeler
Kurgan

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby lestodante » March 27th, 2021, 7:14 pm

interesting. Although Tabletop Simulator is still the best solution I guess.

Rewards:
Wizard of Zargon Group MemberParticipated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Participated in two (2) Miniature Exchanges. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
lestodante

Yeti
Yeti

Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group MemberScribes Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby Kurgan » March 27th, 2021, 8:49 pm

Do you have windows 10? I haven't been able to get blasted TTS to work since I "upgraded" to that OS. It won't even load up fully!

I guess I am supposed to disable my virus scanner and firewall and uninstall then reinstall visual C++ and/or various Virtual machines or something? It was very confusing.

Rewards:
Destroyed a Zombie!
Channeler
Kurgan

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby iKarith » March 28th, 2021, 1:44 am

Kurgan wrote:Do you have windows 10? I haven't been able to get blasted TTS to work since I "upgraded" to that OS. It won't even load up fully!

I guess I am supposed to disable my virus scanner and firewall and uninstall then reinstall visual C++ and/or various Virtual machines or something? It was very confusing.

Windows 10? Oh heavens no…

Code: Select all
             ...-:::::-...                 tjcarter@aki
          .-MMMMMMMMMMMMMMM-.              ------------
      .-MMMM`..-:::::::-..`MMMM-.          OS: Linux Mint 20.1 x86_64
    .:MMMM.:MMMMMMMMMMMMMMM:.MMMM:.        Kernel: 5.8.0-44-generic
   -MMM-M---MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM.MMM-       Uptime: 18 days, 18 hours, 45 mins
 `:MMM:MM`  :MMMM:....::-...-MMMM:MMM:`    Packages: 4793 (dpkg), 46 (flatpak)
 :MMM:MMM`  :MM:`  ``    ``  `:MMM:MMM:    Shell: bash 5.0.17
.MMM.MMMM`  :MM.  -MM.  .MM-  `MMMM.MMM.   Resolution: 1920x1080
:MMM:MMMM`  :MM.  -MM-  .MM:  `MMMM-MMM:   DE: Cinnamon
:MMM:MMMM`  :MM.  -MM-  .MM:  `MMMM:MMM:   WM: Mutter (Muffin)
:MMM:MMMM`  :MM.  -MM-  .MM:  `MMMM-MMM:   WM Theme: Mint-Y-Dark-Sand-Transpanel (Mint-Y-Dark)
.MMM.MMMM`  :MM:--:MM:--:MM:  `MMMM.MMM.   Theme: Mint-Y-Dark [GTK2/3]
 :MMM:MMM-  `-MMMMMMMMMMMM-`  -MMM-MMM:    Icons: Mint-X-Dark [GTK2/3]
  :MMM:MMM:`                `:MMM:MMM:     Terminal: gnome-terminal
   .MMM.MMMM:--------------:MMMM.MMM.      CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 3200G (4) @ 3.600GHz
     '-MMMM.-MMMMMMMMMMMMMMM-.MMMM-'       GPU: AMD ATI Radeon RX 470/480/570/570X/580/580X/590
       '.-MMMM``--:::::--``MMMM-.'         Memory: 24794MiB / 32097MiB
            '-MMMMMMMMMMMMM-'
               ``-:::::-``                                         

I live in Linux country. On a quiet night, you can hear Windows bluescreen. Debian developer 1998-200…3? 5? Something like that. I run Mint these days because they undo most of Ubuntu's most egregious flaws/errors, because we use it at work (FreeGeek, we provide free mostly Linux computers to kids in school, non-profits, etc. and sell some to the general public), and because I've got better things to do than literally update my computer twice a day to keep up with Debian unstable anymore. :D

TTS isn't as nice on Linux as Windows or Mac, but I have access to the Nuance embedded voices (so the same Tom and Samantha you'd get on an iPhone, for example) on my desktop. They CAN sound better, but the mobile HQ versions are a good compromise between size and resources anyway. I tend to use TTS for select-text-"read this" most of the time. I otherwise navigate using large fonts, which works better than you might think.
<InSpectreRetro> All hail Zargon!!! Morcar only has 1BP.

Rewards:
Slaughtered an Orc! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy!
Web Mage
iKarith

Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby lestodante » March 28th, 2021, 6:31 am

iKarith your posts are usually hard to understand to me :oops:

Rewards:
Wizard of Zargon Group MemberParticipated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Participated in two (2) Miniature Exchanges. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
lestodante

Yeti
Yeti

Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group MemberScribes Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby iKarith » March 28th, 2021, 9:47 am

lestodante wrote:iKarith your posts are usually hard to understand to me :oops:

Sorry—some details of :geek: stuff has gotten scattered all over the place lately. Partly because I have to do some :geek: things if I want to participate in some parts of the hobby (like painting or playing online…) And part of the reason I didn't use this forum back then was I didn't know how to modify the colors to be less uncomfortable to read. Now I can, but since I won't have my copy of HQ for at least a week or so, I'm doing stuff I can do. And it's all nerdy AF, sorry. :(

I think stuff I'm working on will ultimately be pretty cool, but I realize the audience for some of the details is limited.

Rewards:
Web Mage
iKarith

Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby Kurgan » March 29th, 2021, 10:47 pm

Happy for you that you've got a copy of HQ coming. Maybe we can play some time, if you want!

Rewards:
Destroyed a Zombie!
Channeler
Kurgan

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby iKarith » March 30th, 2021, 12:49 am

Kurgan wrote:Happy for you that you've got a copy of HQ coming. Maybe we can play some time, if you want!

I'll have two. hopefully as soon as next week. I mean, I'll only need one of them to play the base quests, and I'm probably really best to start off with Maze or Trial and remind myself of the rules like a guy who hasn't played the game in eight years. Y'know, because I haven't. :D

It'd be great if we can get others who haven't played in ages or are even new to the game to play! I'm looking forward to it, it's going to be fun! If we can get a returning and new player's group together, it's going to be amazing!

Rewards:
Web Mage
iKarith

Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby Kurgan » April 18th, 2021, 9:44 am

Played Quest 7: The Lost Wizard with three total people (one of our players had to leave partway through but it was a good time nonetheless). Two people got two heroes each. We got a late start and due to glitches I could only show one camera at a time instead of the usual three [Edit: solved the issue... OBS wants the cameras plugged into the same USB ports every time or else scenes need to be re-synchronized!]

It was brought to my attention that I've been interpreting "see" wrong all this time. Yes after all of those discussion threads, I missed the simple fact that you can do off axis (so to speak) targeting with spells AND ranged weapons (but not anywhere in the room as in the EU rules).

The quest took a long time, but mainly because we were chit-chatting in between and because this time we actually played it to the end (back to the stairs) instead of ending once the main objective was complete. So it was cool to see how a complete quest can go.

The heroes won! :barbarian: :dwarf: :elf: :wizard: (and with basic starting gear, too!)

Rewards:
Destroyed a Zombie!
Channeler
Kurgan

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Hero:
Usergroups:

Next