Page 1 of 1

HeroQuest on "Foundry"?

PostPosted: April 26th, 2022, 6:33 pm
by Kurgan
So there is a program out there called Foundry that is popular with some tabletop players. Apparently some have even adapted HeroQuest to it. I have seen some attempts on Youtube but to me they lose something as they tend to mix aesthetics and miss the charm of the board game.

Does anyone know if a classic looking edition has been done? Or anyone have experience with it?

Yes, I know TableTop Simulator on Steam looks pretty good, but the dang thing hasn't run for me since getting Windows 10 and so it's not really an option for me.

If nothing else works I'm just pointing the cameras at the board, turning on the microphones and playing like that.

https://foundryvtt.com/

Edit: I see it's also $50 for a license... (TTS is $20).

Re: HeroQuest on "Foundry"?

PostPosted: April 27th, 2022, 12:59 pm
by lestodante
Damn! When I've read the title of this topic I was thinking Wargames Foundry was going to release the metal HQ minis on their website!
Too good to be true....

Re: HeroQuest on "Foundry"?

PostPosted: April 27th, 2022, 1:31 pm
by Kurgan
Commonly used name I know. I only learned of the existence of this particular online module a few days ago. I see Roll20 just requires a free account, but users complain it's harder to do stuff. I guess you get what you pay for... still spending $50-75 seems off. Unless you can find someone who has it and apparently can let you use it off of them...


Basically there are lots of ways a person COULD play heroquest online. I've found still the best and easiest way, if you have a physical set and a couple of cameras and some patience, is to just point your camera and use a free service like Twitch, Zoom (at least until they stop the free thing for covid later this year), Facebook video, Discord, etc.

Almost everyone could play along, so long as Zargon has the assets. Who doesn't have a couple of D6's lying around and a pencil and paper for the character sheet? Granted, it's more fun if you have your own set, but still you can follow along.

Re: HeroQuest on "Foundry"?

PostPosted: July 15th, 2022, 6:52 pm
by Kurgan
Now that TTS finally... finally, after many years, works for me again (the April 2021 patch seems to have been the magic one), I have no need for Foundry.

HeroQuest Master Edition is a great mod that seems to work pretty well and stuff isn't too hard to find mostly. However it looks like it doesn't include 3d models for the four men-at-arms. I found one that has the "unpainted" images of those figures in the wrong scale, but still, that's progress.

I see Master Edition includes the Combat Cards, but sadly not Sjeng's "Evil Wizard" deck. Still, pretty impressive. It's a shame it took so long to get it working, but it works now, no doubt. Thanks Azure for the help.