Page 1 of 1

2021 Resource Scans?

PostPosted: January 2nd, 2022, 3:04 pm
by GimmeYerGold
Are there plans for the Inn to post the scans and templates of resources for the new Heroquest?

Or are they posted someplace else?

Now that the new version is out, and I have a copy like many other folks here, it would be fun to start making custom content with the new artwork :)

Re: 2021 Resource Scans?

PostPosted: January 2nd, 2022, 3:19 pm
by Nlinindoll
Uploading scans of the new content is against forum rules and Ye Olde Inn has no plans to post them on the site due to an abundance of caution on copyright laws. See here: viewtopic.php?f=39&t=5821&hilit=hasbro+copyright

That said, if you find links to it elsewhere, either publicly released by Hasbro/AH or others, then it's fair game.

Re: 2021 Resource Scans?

PostPosted: June 22nd, 2022, 11:23 am
by iKarith
GimmeYerGold wrote:Are there plans for the Inn to post the scans and templates of resources for the new Heroquest?

Or are they posted someplace else?

Now that the new version is out, and I have a copy like many other folks here, it would be fun to start making custom content with the new artwork :)


TL;DR: Some of it will get posted—but only some, for now. Rules and quests, and only the retail ones.

First the scary/paranoid bit: This site is full of Copyright infringement, right now. Hasbro is within their right to hit anyone they can with a six figure fine per infringement (ohh, you have analytics data, hand it over to help us calculate the bill…) They can also make it a criminal thing in the US if they are so inclined. We don't have to post a single 2021 thing for that to happen, they've got us by the short hairs already.

Realistically if they were gonna do that, they'd send a Cease and Desist letter telling us to remove everything Hasbro has any right to from the site or else, and you could kiss the Inn goodbye if they do that. That said, Avalon Hill folks have talked about the Inn and the stuff we have here. They didn't sic the hounds upon us. I said above that they can do all kinds of nasty things. They're not required to do any of them.

They are going after people posting Mythic exclusives though. This is stuff they might want to rework into retail products at some point. And if we start posting all the stuff for 2021 we have for older editions of the game, they'll likely come after us too. See above.

That said, Hasbro's published the rules and quest books for the retail release stuff. And there's a few bits free on the Avalon Hill blog. I think we can safely have that stuff, and so I'll put it up. I'm making changes to it to make the pages display properly on tablets/laptops but I think I can safely get away with that much.

Re: 2021 Resource Scans?

PostPosted: June 22nd, 2022, 5:29 pm
by StratosVX
iKarith wrote:That said, Hasbro's published the rules and quest books for the retail release stuff. And there's a few bits free on the Avalon Hill blog. I think we can safely have that stuff, and so I'll put it up.

The previous Mod discussions on that were to post links to that stuff and not actually post them here (unless there were changes that I'm not aware of). The reason being that if Hasbro decided (for whatever reason) not to make those resources available any longer, the links would break and we wouldn't be inadvertently hosting files they no longer wanted hosted online. It was a "better safe than sorry" approach.

Re: 2021 Resource Scans?

PostPosted: June 22nd, 2022, 5:44 pm
by Kurgan
Yeah and didn't apply to stuff that was posted earlier, like things that came through publicly during the pledge drive...

Re: 2021 Resource Scans?

PostPosted: June 22nd, 2022, 10:36 pm
by iKarith
StratosVX wrote:
iKarith wrote:That said, Hasbro's published the rules and quest books for the retail release stuff. And there's a few bits free on the Avalon Hill blog. I think we can safely have that stuff, and so I'll put it up.

The previous Mod discussions on that were to post links to that stuff and not actually post them here (unless there were changes that I'm not aware of). The reason being that if Hasbro decided (for whatever reason) not to make those resources available any longer, the links would break and we wouldn't be inadvertently hosting files they no longer wanted hosted online. It was a "better safe than sorry" approach.


The copies they put online have big download links directing people to download them. Therefore the copies I have obtained are legally obtained. They're being moved into the Inn's archive for the future.

Whether I can post links to those files or not … well, I'm actually going to ask Avalon Hill for permission to reformat the files for screen display as an accessibility thing. They can say no, of course, in which case it'd have to be just the links. But you will be able to get to those resources from our page (because theirs are a little convoluted.)